NZ Chat thread - Post anything related to CM

larrynz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Great work everyone. Another new one to me and likewise Uniden NZ also don't have this either.
This must be quite recent as also not on Google streetview.

Likewise 50kmh? I would assume (please confirm).
Its definitely a new one. I could see the fresh patch of concrete its embedded in. 50kph zone.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
As you'll see from my signature, I've now updated both of those new cameras in the database.

larrynz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
As you'll see from my signature, I've now updated both of those new cameras in the database.
Hi @Mithheru ,
I go through this intersection everyday. There is now only 1 redspeed camera here. The other I have marked in orange has been removed.
Is there any reason why I only get a redspeed camera alert coming from the north and the west (black arrows) and nothing coming from the south or the eastern directions?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 15

nzFALCONnz

FORD MUSTANG GT #17
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hi @Mithheru ,
I go through this intersection everyday. There is now only 1 redspeed camera here. The other I have marked in orange has been removed.
Is there any reason why I only get a redspeed camera alert coming from the north and the west (black arrows) and nothing coming from the south or the eastern directions?
It’s still there bud. It got hit by car but they have replaced it now.
Red light cameras only pick up 1 direction

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This is a big file, but this has all the redspeed camera images from my 2019 OIA request from Auckland transport.

As you can see every camera is focussed on the stop line immediately under the camera. The system in no instances captured images from any other direction.

I found a recent AU patent specification which may be for the same technology and/or probably works in a similar way. So essentially the system looks to be limited only to rear end detection of the vehicle. Thereby unless proved otherwise, all my alerts of these camera systems are set monodirectional only.

I think the use of FMCW for this type of system also likely explains why the redspeed cameras are better detected on MRCD whereas the fixed speed only cameras are not detected on MRCD setting on the R7.

Attachments

• Redlight.zip
    56.9 MB · Views: 17
  • AU2014201587A1_Original_document_20210527112401.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

maztlr

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just got my new US R7, firmware 135, first day test 5 minutes up the road got my first hit,
police are being hot on checking road work speeds.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

maztlr

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Good video off the inside of a English police radar van.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@DAF @nzFALCONnz @At0mic9 @Aucklandradar

One thing I'd like to get sorted in the database is defence against the bus lane cameras, particularly on Onewa road.

Anyone in Auckland near this area that could give me an update? If we could pinpoint the 17 sites on this stretch of road, I could build them in as bus lane camera alerts on the R7 International NZ database. I'd really like to get this done as it'll be people most unfamiliar with the area that are likely to get caught out.
Post automatically merged:

Or do I just put bus lane camera warnings every 300m for the entire stretch?

Looks like there is also this one:

Last edited:

FocusedWest

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It's my local @Mithheru what I could do is do the mission and walk it and GPS location the spots where they have started the digouts for the poles.

But to be honest I like the idea of just putting in alerts down the whole road every 300m or more just so there there.

nzFALCONnz

FORD MUSTANG GT #17
Beginner User
Reaction score
Can you make them alert for the times allocated on bus lanes or is a every time you drive along that road? As bus lanes can be driven in outside the time?
And onewa road is a t3 lane. 3 people in car only and bus lane? @Mithheru @FocusedWest

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It's my local @Mithheru what I could do is do the mission and walk it and GPS location the spots where they have started the digouts for the poles.

But to be honest I like the idea of just putting in alerts down the whole road every 300m or more just so there there.
So I just did and walk down using Google streetview for the bus lane cameras on Manukau Station Road and think I've got those added. For the others, perhaps if you could mark on a map where you want the bus lane alerts to start and where to end, that would be enough (so I can then add approx 300m apart).

Remember also, on the R7 International you can turn the bus lane camera alerts on/off on the menu if people find them annoying. Also this feature will only be on the R7 Int as the R3 and DFR9 so far won't support this feature.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Can you make them alert for the times allocated on bus lanes or is a every time you drive along that road? As bus lanes can be driven in outside the time?
And onewa road is a t3 lane. 3 people in car only and bus lane? @Mithheru @FocusedWest
Currently there is no way to build the database with the extra time data that you'd need here. I do find that time thing is half the trouble with bus lanes. Half the time, the sign posts are really small and hard to read in the car. Therefore even outside of the designated time, most people avoid the lanes, even when you can use them.

MYE63S

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Also installed on Albany Highway on Auckland's North Shore - in a T2 lane on a light/lamp post outside Albany Senior High School. I will take a photo+location. It was finished a wee while ago now and judging by the number of men in their little white coats that I saw gathering around it (from time to time), most likely the test bed for the rest?!

tonynz81

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Is it normal to see the same location fixed speed camera and red light camera 2-in-1 showing different k band frequencies day to day?

For example, recently I received a 24.11 alert and today it was 24.09.

I’ve also noticed the red light camera warning is sometimes quite delayed (in some cases not until I’ve passed the camera itself), and other times given with plenty of warning, when travelling in the same direction each time.

I’ve also had occasions where driving through the same city bound side of the waterview tunnel on different days, my DFRforNZ will again alert at specific spots with a long warning, and other times not until I am right on top of the known radar locations.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
20DuramaxDenaliL5P