NZ Chat thread - Post anything related to CM

tonynz81

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Unlikely, the lowest I’ve seen is 34.6xx

Interesting, I assumed all Ka alerts were genuine since it is a restricted frequency, but obviously there's stuff out there to cause false positives.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Interesting, I assumed all Ka alerts were genuine since it is a restricted frequency, but obviously there's stuff out there to cause false positives.
Could have been a leaky cheap detector such as a Cobra, or those ones you buy on aliexpress.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes, I have seen the odd low K band false on the DFR9forNZ. Most of us on the R7s and R3s run Ka segmentation, which the DFR9 doesn't have. I might limit the limit on Ka for the DFR9forNZ. The DFR9 does sometimes report the incorrect Ka frequencies before correcting and adjusting itself. In my video here testing the Ka range on an original US DFR9 you can hear an extra blip when the Ka frequency gets updated (at about 6:00 in the video):

The DFR9forNZ is not perfect. But the range on the DFR9 and the ability to pick up redflex and extra quiet on K band still makes it a pretty decent bit of kit.
Post automatically merged:

Guys, I'm probably going to force myself offline for a week or two. I'm busy working in the background on the next R7 update. This is another big update, and has lots of new gps features. However, the more time I spend responding to peoples PMs in the background, the less code I get chance to write!

If anyone sees some new members, looking for my help, perhaps someone could kindly let them know I may not be able to reply straight away. I just want to finish development and testing all the new features before I can start building all the 128 features and segmentation back in.

Last edited:

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Interesting!

and full USA spec 33.4 - 36.0 GHz K band, and as per my post in the other thread, it has 10 Ka segs, not like the R7 that has had the top end of Ka robbed to lower K band.

Really a bummer for Uniden NZ if the NZ cops go for all laser cams now to replace Redflex, or MRCT who's 3 K band channels span between 24.075 - 24.175 GHz, and don't need expanded K low.

If you find out the company that's providing the average speed/P2P cams, and it's Jenoptik, you could end up with TraffiStar S350 (very similar to poliscan) or MRCD / MRCT based radar cams.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Mithheru, notice X band has been deleted also.
Yeah, I guess they noted I removed X band on the DFR9forNZ!

I'm keeping X band on the R7 International. I've never tested it, but assume it works. The new GPS features are fantastic. Tested 600m GPS alert for urban 50km redflex speed camera. No over speed warning kicking in until 300m. Display shows you actual speed, and the posted limit. Plays a tone to tell you once you've past the line of sight of the camera. Uniden NZ can't use these features, as they just don't have them, and it requires a completely new build of database, with a lot more accuracy than Uniden NZ can get for any of their current locations.

Attachments

• NewGPSCameraDemo2.mov.zip
    35 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

DEMON5

What's a PSL
Intermediate User
Reaction score
New GPS features look fantastic @Mithheru, great work as always. Did everybody see over on the Uniden forum that Tom from BRD said "any day now" referring to auto lockouts being released. @Mithheru do you think auto lockouts will be able to be incorporated in your new firmware or will there be an issue with memory capacity? Perhaps X band deletion may provide enough space?

379 EXH

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
A couple of positive hits below 34.7 this morn.
Highway Patrol C/O 34.663 heading southbound around Meremere.

I/O shots of 34.669 in 3-5 sec bursts from from Manukau to Highbrook.
Looked like a dark colored SUV, Equinox perhaps.

Redline ProA.

Last Friday night 7:55pm had a 34.706 hit.
Commodore S/W about 300 meters ahead hit the disco lights, did a U turn & chased after someone on Harris Rd.

The last few days noticing the Ka frequencies getting lower.
Anyone else seeing this trend?

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a strange Ka alert at Woods Bay, north of Thames? I got a 34.706 through there on Friday around 10.00AM, and again coming back on Monday about the same time, same place. No sign of a cop, but one could have been parked out of sight at one of the houses.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Interesting development on the R7 NZ:

@Deadduck @niffud @NTLGNC @soampt @ptharris @Zakk

It looks as though Uniden NZ / Blulink has developed some new R7 NZ firmware, but has not made it available for public release. Mark Sole at blulink previously said they would always update detectors free of charge. Therefore, time for you guys to contact blulink and see if they are true to their word.

Now, as yet, I don't know what new features and improvements this has. Based on the numbers, I would say it's likely got the same 141 DSP version as US 133. It probably has some new GPS features to allow you to select the GPS alert range like on the R3 NZ. I'm guessing it probably has fixed segmentation still, and I'm guess it't won't have auto lock outs. How this compares to the US firmware and/or my 137 firmware in perfomance will have to be determined in testing. However, it's good to see they have something new, even if they won't release it publicly.

It looks as though the 1.43 database though is available for download, just the latest R3 NZ and R7 NZ firmware they still won't release.

Attachments

• 952B97AC-B7A0-4161-A0C0-FB6E114E1170.jpeg
    952B97AC-B7A0-4161-A0C0-FB6E114E1170.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 5570ADB4-2EDC-4D67-9801-58273B9D27D4.jpeg
    5570ADB4-2EDC-4D67-9801-58273B9D27D4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • F686CEAC-DB86-4B05-91A3-4C9526963E92.jpeg
    F686CEAC-DB86-4B05-91A3-4C9526963E92.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
From the video I was sent about R7 NZ 133, this looks like a rebranded 133 US firmware with K1 and K2 segments added. Interestingly, I decided to skip 133 US as the basis of the 137 International build. Therefore looks like 132 R7 NZ also doesn't have auto lock outs (probably a good thing since we're still faced with redflex).

@DC Fluid @Vortex I've also been testing 135 on my other R7 for the past few days. Auto lockouts are now happening. However: For those people running MRCD, it doesn't auto lock out MRCD false locations. In fact you don't seem to be able to manually mute MRCD false locations either. I would have thought manual MRCD lock outs should have been implemented!?

135US also added an auto lockout of the Redflex fixed speed camera in Ngauranga gorge. I know it's not yet smart enough to tell the difference, but something to think about: Anyone relying upon 135 may need to add a user marks for those GPS cameras not in their database. Relying upon a radar alert for fixed cameras on 135 might be problematic. However, I think they can be manually unlocked again (hence why I consider auto lock outs are really an excuse to mitigate a lazy thumb).

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In fact you don't seem to be able to manually mute MRCD false locations either. I would have thought manual MRCD lock outs should have been implemented!?

I seem to remember you need to set the mute memory option to include Ka band, and it will then let you manually mute memory MRCD as well (could be wrong) ?

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I seem to remember you need to set the mute memory option to include Ka band, and it will then let you manually mute memory MRCD as well (could be wrong) ?
In USA 135 that's how it works, enable Ka lockouts to allow MRCD Lockouts.
If you turn Mute Memory back to X/K then the Ka and MRCD lockouts stop working and alerts come back.
But it's saved in memory, if turned back on they still work as Mute Memory Lockout.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In USA 135 that's how it works, enable Ka lockouts to allow MRCD Lockouts.

Something else to retest on 137 then.

On the 132 R7 NZ thing... Apparently blulink require people to send them back with proof of purchase. Obviously I understand where they're coming from, but to be honest the game is over.

If I really wanted to, I could rewrite an exact copy of the NZ R7 branded 132 US firmware with all the exact same features the same range and performance and all of the same branding. I see in fact they've actually now copied my 128 and 137 firmware in that they've now corrected the spellings of words like 'colour'!

I'm really keen to get some test results / feedback on the 132 R7 NZ firmware. My concern with the 141 DSP when I tested it was that it seemed to pick up a lot of extra noise on K band. Therefore, I can see this could well make the detector noisier than on the previous R7 NZ firmware, and without the benefit of the user definable K segments of the international platform. The GPS features are better on the new R7 NZ firmware, than the previous R7 NZ version, and you also get the benefit of being able to adjust the front and rear sensitivity, and also to be able to mute the rear K antenna. However, the point of an R7 is to be able to run full sensitivity as far as possible, so whilst I think anyone with an R7 NZ should opt to get it updated, it could have gone further.

I'm not fussed about the Auto-lock outs and I think Uniden NZ also probably made the right choice in holding off implementing this feature until it can be implemented without reducing K band sensitivity.

Testing 135 US firmware today was fun. I can now see with fixed cameras, people might also have to start adding
'manual gps auto unlock outs'! :roflolmao:

Last edited:

Deadduck

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So I have had the update on my r7nz for just over a week or so now really liking the updated visual and extra features but I have noticed it being a little bit noisier than normal then seen that it's detecting slightly over the set range when it never done on the old firmware which actually makes it quite a bit more noisier especially in places where it has never been before. Have added some photos found that our red-light camera is running mrcd as well as detection on the usual k running at the same band.

Attachments

• IMG20210403233438.jpg
    IMG20210403233438.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG20210403233458.jpg
    IMG20210403233458.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG20210403233503.jpg
    IMG20210403233503.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG20210329121107.jpg
    IMG20210329121107.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG20210325221341.jpg
    IMG20210325221341.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10

379 EXH

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The last 2 nights a 34.668 hit at Drury.
Only things out the norm were the 2 traffic management trucks setting up cones on the nth bound lanes.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49