NZ Chat thread - Post anything related to CM

Quantum Tunneling

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm surprised how many people that need radar just done have one!? If you had a car like that, and driving like that you're asking for trouble.
A radar detector isn't going to save some people, because it cannot give them intelligence :D There are times and places to safely enjoy some excess speed. This was not one of them and they frankly deserved a ticket. That said had they had a detector they surely would not have made the 'speed run' that they did.
Post automatically merged:

Just been to Napier and back from Wellington, surprisingly little Ka band around over the school holidays on this trip. I also had the DFR9, R7 and DFR7 to test against different redflex vans if I found one.

Pretty uneventful trip, running the R7 mostly extended out on K segmentation to 23.95-24.11. Didn't find a single redflex van until driving back into central Wellington last night to drop the car off. Same red redflex van parked southbound in the dark just after first Porirua off-ramp!

I'm guessing NZ police must also have staff affected by school holidays as well then!?

Gosh there are a lot of Redflex vans about Wellington aren't there! I'm desperate to find one in Auckland for a bit of testing. Have not seen one for months and months... Had no chance to see what the DFR7 is like against them.

There are some temporary speed limits in place for roadworks around Auckland airport. Few times I've been past I get K band hits on 24.09 (i think), and with all the construction traffic and cones it strikes me as a prime spot for Reflex. However despite the K hits there have been no vans present. My best guess is it's some kind of emission from the temporary traffic lights they have in place as signal strength seems to correlate with my distance to them. Presumably they have a sensor to know if cars are waiting?

Is Redflex typically lower than 24.09 , I see high 23ghz mentioned?

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Wellington has had an abundance of enforcement since the MOT days. We always thought it was to show the pollies how diligently they and the Police are dealing with the road toll. (And making money)

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Gosh there are a lot of Redflex vans about Wellington aren't there!

Well..., generally only three of them, but they plague my local area, seemingly operating about 18 hours a day!? Still there after 11.00 pm last night.

At0mic9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well..., generally only three of them, but they plague my local area, seemingly operating about 18 hours a day!? Still there after 11.00 pm last night.
Have you thought about whipping the licence plate off the enforcement van, and then attaching to the front of your vehicle for a couple of high speed runs past the camera van? that would be rather entertaining...

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I see Uniden US has released a new R3 update. This is what my R3 came back with. However, I'll start work building a revised R3forNZ version now.

I see Uniden US has released a new R3 update. This is what my R3 came back with. However, I'll start work building a revised R3forNZ version now.

So I had an idea....

The R3 bottoms out at 24.05 on K band. However, since some redflex vans in the countryside are still operating above 24.05. => How about I set K Narrow to be 24.050 - 24.100. This would then be similar to K1 segment on the R7 NZ. Just missing the important bottom bit! However it would make K band more useable on the R3.

I'll probably also add some personalisation similar to the R7 International.

Last edited:

At0mic9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Mithheru slightly off topic, but I think you will enjoy this.... triggering speed camera's with a drone...
That is a seriously quick drone! i can just imagine a LEO's face when they review the footage to figure out why no license plate was captured! brilliant

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just a heads up! For those with an R3 NZ or R7 NZ.

I gave Mark Sole at blulink a nudge.

Due to the number of requests I have to convert the R7 NZ to the R7 International and/or R3 NZ to R3forNZ, and release of my DFR9forNZ, I have tried again to persuade them to release updated R3 and R7 firmware versions for the benefit of those people that paid the extra for those detectors.

I'm not sure I can persuade him to release even their 150 R3 NZ branded US R3 firmware. Likewise they're still hanging onto their R7 NZ firmware with fixed segmentation. However, they have now released their 1.41 gps database version for download on their website (https://blulink.co.nz/product/radar-detector-dfr7-nz-copy/#tab-downloads).

Seems he's doubtful of the DFR9forNZ performance. I don't think he can envisage anyone being able to make it scan 23.95-24.15 with segmentation and full frequency detection and matching display!

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That is a seriously quick drone! i can just imagine a LEO's face when they review the footage to figure out why no license plate was captured! brilliant
Again a bit off topic... I was building a drone based upon a gyroplane concept. Something built along these lines could be made to go much faster and fly much longer:

However, they have now released their 1.41 gps database version for download on their website (https://blulink.co.nz/product/radar-detector-dfr7-nz-copy/#tab-downloads).

Haven't reviewed all the data in this yet. However, this now removes all of the Au cameras. Looks like Uniden NZ formally now not supporting Australia in the database updates going forwards.

As for NZ, I can see they've still got a lot of old redlight cameras since removed. They're also missing a couple of the new 2020 cameras.

I sent Mark another piece of info to help refine the database, but they're still a long way behind my 2.20 version at the moment.

Last edited:

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Haven't reviewed all the data in this yet. However, this now removes all of the Au cameras
Yes, DGC in Perth no longer lists the DFR7, R3 or R7, so looks like BluLink withdrew from whatever agreement they had with them.

NathanJ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Morning all could anyone suggestion best settings for my Uniden R7 for New Zealand roads im based in Christchurch,any help much appreciated cheers

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just a heads up:

Thanks to confirmation from @FocusedWest and @At0mic9 we have a new redflex redlight camera going up in North Auckland.

This currently is not in my 2.20 database. However, I will be adding it in the near future. However, I won't be rereleasing a new update 2.22 until some time later. Therefore if people do need this one asap than please let me know so I'll rebuild you 2.20 with the new camera.

The pin mark is the location I'll be building for the alert for heading South East to cover close to the stop line as usual. Hope that makes sense.

Untitled.png

miniprojechi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi RDForum, hope all is well.
I have an DFR8 purchased through Amazon US (known to have no difference from a DFR9 in detection).
I've noticed that speed vans aren't being detected as they operate lower than 24.050, the minimum that these models can detect. KA and normal K band for red light and speed camera detection is great.
Would saving up for an R7(Amazon US) be worthwhile? I've read that speed vans can only be detected from 200~400 meters away as they are low powered detectors and I've usually seen them in tight corners where there is no limited room for braking.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have an DFR8 purchased through Amazon US (known to have no difference from a DFR9 in detection).
I've noticed that speed vans aren't being detected as they operate lower than 24.050, the minimum that these models can detect. KA and normal K band for red light and speed camera detection is great.
Would saving up for an R7(Amazon US) be worthwhile? I've read that speed vans can only be detected from 200~400 meters away as they are low powered detectors and I've usually seen them in tight corners where there is no limited room for braking.
@Mithheru can you work your magic with the DFR8 or just the 9?

Also for Redflex, 200-300m is probably the best, even from the R7 and V1G2 in my experience. A detector can help, but your eyes and quick reactions are definitely your first weapon against these

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

So my DFR9forNZ has updated firmware with K segmentation and also compensates for the retune to scan 23.95-24.15. This could be done for the DFR8. It would in fact work very well as it's so quiet on K band. However, I don't have a DFR8 and I also haven't looked to see if I can pull out the firmware. Let me see what I can do.

miniprojechi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@Mithheru can you work your magic with the DFR8 or just the 9?

Also for Redflex, 200-300m is probably the best, even from the R7 and V1G2 in my experience. A detector can help, but your eyes and quick reactions are definitely your first weapon against these
Thank you for your reply! Very helpful.
I’d agree on common sense, and situational awareness is always the key :)
So my DFR9forNZ has updated firmware with K segmentation and also compensates for the retune to scan 23.95-24.15. This could be done for the DFR8. It would in fact work very well as it's so quiet on K band. However, I don't have a DFR8 and I also haven't looked to see if I can pull out the firmware. Let me see what I can do.
Would this be possible? There aren’t any updates for the DFR8, even on the Uniden website. But I am amazed that the DFR9, can be updated to scan lower frequencies. Please do let me know how it goes!

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I agree with the eyedar statement. Any plain coloured VW/Hyundai parked in unusual places is a prime suspect.
I had K off for around 10 years with only 1 cam ticket.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronton617