NZ Chat thread - Post anything related to CM

shadow69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've written some additional tools to facilitate reviewing and updating gps databases for the Uniden databases. Used this opportunity to review Uniden's updates in their latest NZ_DB_V1.40_20200706 file. So looks they have acknowledged some of my feedback and finally fixed the camera they had above the hillside in Dunedin and put it in the right place. They've also added one of the more recent redlight cameras I told them about in Auckland. However, for some reason their database has doubled up all the NZ cameras in the database. Has anyone tried this and seen if it is actually double alerting? Perhaps it only gives one alert since the data is the same for the other alert at the same location. I think I'll put this on my DFR7 and test it.

Uniden in this version is also still missing several of the newer Auckland redlight and speed cameras. They also still have a few which NZ police and others have confirmed have already been removed.

I'm now working on building AU database version 2.17. Hopefully this will be released in a week or two.
Both my r3 and r7 have been doing this for quite some time and I am still unsure why as they have your db and not unidens?

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Both my r3 and r7 have been doing this for quite some time and I am still unsure why as they have your db and not unidens?

You have a double alert in Dunedin on the motorway for my database. This is different as the alerts are actually at different locations, to help maximise the 300m warning on approach to that camera due to the bend in the motorway.

Uniden's database has exact duplicates of all the locations. I.e exact same gps coordinate, direction and camera all all duplicated for vast majority if not every camera:

So Uniden has in their latest database for this camera a duplicated binary sequence:

176E36B540752E32CB1408F35D0300FF

This equates to:

-45.90201187,170.448761 Speed Cam 100km/h Bi-directional W (266 Deg)

I.e. two identical alerts doing the exact same thing at the same location (Bi directional means it alerts from both directions).
Therefore whilst one of these entries would suffice, they added two. The result is that the alert on approach will be less than mine, and you'll get a double alert that actually adds nothing!

@shadow69 Perhaps mine can be refined a bit more, as I suspect the alerts on approach are maybe a bit later than they could be.

Last edited:

At0mic9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
You have a double alert in Dunedin on the motorway for my database. This is different as the alerts are actually at different locations, to help maximise the 300m warning on approach to that camera due to the bend in the motorway.

Uniden's database has exact duplicates of all the locations. I.e exact same gps coordinate, direction and camera all all duplicated for vast majority if not every camera:

So Uniden has in their latest database for this camera a duplicated binary sequence:

This equates to:

I.e. two identical alerts doing the exact same thing at the same location (Bi directional means it alerts from both directions).
Therefore whilst one of these entries would suffice, they added two. The result is that the alert on approach will be less than mine, and you'll get a double alert that actually adds nothing!

@shadow69 Perhaps mine can be refined a bit more, as I suspect the alerts on approach are maybe a bit later than they could be.
thats a silly mistake on Unidens part....what happened to peer review of software, or even basic field testing?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Anyone interested in a Stalker ATR? I have an extra one I imported but no longer need. Comes with a 12v/cig light power handle with moving mode. My Detectors report it around Ka 34.712. Its in MPH. Send me a PM if interested and I can send you some photos/videos of it.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Are our cops getting smarter? One was using Lidar on the Mt Wellington straight and I got no laser alert.
I know laser does work on the V1, and it was long range so I should have got an alert if he tagged me. But he must have been targeting cars he thought were speeding and not ones that obviously weren't.

At0mic9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Are our cops getting smarter? One was using Lidar on the Mt Wellington straight and I got no laser alert.
I know laser does work on the V1, and it was long range so I should have got an alert if he tagged me. But he must have been targeting cars he thought were speeding and not ones that obviously weren't.
Here is a real world long range scatter detection by V1G2 - https://www.rdforum.org/threads/103964/

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Impressive. I was about 200 - 300 metres away when he got a clear shot. Another time I was doing around 120 in the same spot and didn't see the cop at first. No CM's on that car, I thought I was toast but he didn't stop me. He probably thought a harmless looking car like that wouldn't be a speeders.🧓

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So in testing the other day, with @Zakk, I realised its actually not that easy to get a speed confirmed using a laser gun. Sometimes it can take a few seconds to get a lock. Yes, it was my first time to use a laser gun, but I think there is still something to be said for good laser detection on a radar detector. Yes sometimes you will be toast, but others times you can still have time to react before the speed is locked in on the gun.

So some years previously when I had my old redline, and Veil on the lights, and uniquely prepared plate, I had probably six or so laser saves over a 5-10 year period. This was entirely possibly just down to good luck, and/or possible lucky diffusion off another car. I was once pulled over having been zapped on the same car, so definitely it wasn't fool proof. However, my point here is that the Uniden laser detection is really just not up to standard. You need to have that warning as soon as the gun is targeting your car, if he cannot get a lock of your speed straight away, you'll be saved. For me right now, that would be enough, knowing I'd get the odd ticket, but at least I gave it my best effort.

Hence, I'm looking at building a new hardware system to improve laser detection for my car. After that, I'll think about extending it to more active CM capability, but that's a long way into the future.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'll put up with the odd laser false to have reasonable warning. The Gen 2 does it well, usually.
If I faced laser often, I'd get jammers.

At0mic9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'll put up with the odd laser false to have reasonable warning. The Gen 2 does it well, usually.
If I faced laser often, I'd get jammers.
My old V1 saved me a couple of times with picking up scatter, its my only RD that has picked any form of laser up. My R3 falsed so much that i turned it off, and i havent come accross any laser since having my R7, i dont see much laser threat in my area, more likely to see Redflex vans, i guess that they are passive revenue gathering, whereas a laser is much more manual work for the LEO and time intensive...

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of laser use around Wellington over the years. Original redline worked really well against laser. I saw a photo somewhere of the redline stripped apart it had so many IR LED laser sensors there is just no comparison to what Uniden opted for. My aim is to try to build something similar using the same types of LEDs used on the old original redline. If anyone has a redline they could open up and send me photos that would be great, at the moment I have a few IR leds lying around, but I need a laser source to test against. Probably going to try to simulate and/or replicate what the ALPs do.

KiwiBloke

Floor it & swerve
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I nearly came to grief a couple of days ago with a spectacular situational awareness failure on my part. I came to a stop for oh about 1 second (at a side street intersection with a stop sign, to turn right onto a main thoroughfare, two lanes each way), saw that after this black car from the left there was just enough room before the next car, gave it some jandal (rather glad the engine was cold or I'd have likely given it a bit more) and turned, straightened up and realised that black car was indeed a holden (FFS!) with an extra antenna and it was already slowing down, jabbed the brakes but wasn't quite legal as the V1 went off... Curiously though the reading I got was a medium 'from the side' signal, and I think in haste the operator might've turning the front antenna only by mistake. So I was probably a bit lucky there; tucking in quickly behind a cop car is generally poor etiquette...

The other curious thing was he took the same turn off as I did half a click later (me now with cruise firmly set on 50k) and I'd estimate his speed at 60 easily - he was pulling away quite quickly. Rules are made to be broken, it seems. Gave me a laugh anyway - maybe he was actually one of the good ones! In any case it was a good dose of adrenaline to kick start the system in the morning.

Moral of the story: Watch out for those bloody unmarked holdens!

Quantum Tunneling

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I nearly came to grief a couple of days ago with a spectacular situational awareness failure on my part. I came to a stop for oh about 1 second (at a side street intersection with a stop sign, to turn right onto a main thoroughfare, two lanes each way), saw that after this black car from the left there was just enough room before the next car, gave it some jandal (rather glad the engine was cold or I'd have likely given it a bit more) and turned, straightened up and realised that black car was indeed a holden (FFS!) with an extra antenna and it was already slowing down, jabbed the brakes but wasn't quite legal as the V1 went off... Curiously though the reading I got was a medium 'from the side' signal, and I think in haste the operator might've turning the front antenna only by mistake. So I was probably a bit lucky there; tucking in quickly behind a cop car is generally poor etiquette...

The other curious thing was he took the same turn off as I did half a click later (me now with cruise firmly set on 50k) and I'd estimate his speed at 60 easily - he was pulling away quite quickly. Rules are made to be broken, it seems. Gave me a laugh anyway - maybe he was actually one of the good ones! In any case it was a good dose of adrenaline to kick start the system in the morning.

Moral of the story: Watch out for those bloody unmarked holdens!

Good story. Thanks for sharing! Lol, the number of times I've been cut up by the the cops in Auckland (without their lights on) ...I've lost count. Their driving standards are not spectacularly high.

Passed a nice looking unmarked Holden hatchback thingy in a very metallic blue on the SH1 a few days back (it has pulled somebody over).....i've not seen personally anything that wasn't a sedan before so was surprised.
Post automatically merged:

Temporary Speed Limits. What's the legal situation with them? Is it treated exactly the same as a posted regular speed limit? The reason I ask is in the UK a exceeding temporary speed limit does not attract the equivalent of 'demerit points' ...and my brain is stuck with this in my head...even though it probably isn't like that here.

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Our cops now have unmarked Holden Equinoxes (SUV's), and some Captivas down south.
Temp limits work the same as normal limts, demerits for cop issued tickets and 40 km/h over and you're walking home.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm no friend of our porcine traffic busybodies, but plain cars are very useful for nailing the maniac drivers out there.
It's just a shame our Police always go for the low hanging fruit.

porkchop

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
People tend to behave when they see a cruiser, including the maniacs

Quantum Tunneling

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Had a medium Ka hit while stopped at lights on Pakuranga road over the weekend. Knew that there was a cop around...as I move off from my set of lights, around 300m ahead a black car (maybe a Holden) puts his foot down and goes off down Pakuranga road at at least 70.... as soon as he starts moving at speed my detector goes crazy with the strongest Ka hit I've ever had.....by this time the black Holden has gone 400-500m further at which point the police car comes over the hill, puts its lights on, does a u-turn and proceed to pull over the black holden.

The cop must have been waiting at the top of the hill for speeders.....my first hit must have been some initial 'probing' he was doing :D....the big hit when he visually spotted the rapidly moving Holden and lit him up.

First time since owning an RD I've seen a full takedown happening :D

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm surprised how many people that need radar just done have one!? If you had a car like that, and driving like that you're asking for trouble.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just been to Napier and back from Wellington, surprisingly little Ka band around over the school holidays on this trip. I also had the DFR9, R7 and DFR7 to test against different redflex vans if I found one.

Pretty uneventful trip, running the R7 mostly extended out on K segmentation to 23.95-24.11. Didn't find a single redflex van until driving back into central Wellington last night to drop the car off. Same red redflex van parked southbound in the dark just after first Porirua off-ramp!

I'm guessing NZ police must also have staff affected by school holidays as well then!?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedHook