NZ Chat thread - Post anything related to CM

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well, all you poor Aucklanders and those near Auckland are in for fun times on the roads.
The cyclists in Auckland Transport and NZTA have decided that you will travel at their speed.
And those fun rural roads up in the Northwest and Southern areas won't be much fun if they pluck your licence for 120km/h.
I be the cops will be out in force collecting speed tax for Cindy

At0mic9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yep, the "Cindy Speed Tax" as you put it is another revenue tool, however it wont make much of a dent in the amount of debt racked up over the lockdown. Quote from NZTA - "Our aim is not to catch people out, it is to ensure safe roads." Yeah right, are you kidding me! how many people will travel at 30km where they used to travel at 50km safely, of course they want to catch us out and collect and easy 150 bucks. they will collect fines on some roads out on the city fringe, but the inner city is grid locked all day anyway, so you would be unlikely to be able to do 30km anyway!

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
What will piss people off is their cabs and other travel taking twice as long in off peak times.
Not to mention the cost of freight etc going up due to increased travel times too.

UncleArthur

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Add to that yesterday if you had a crash at 35km/h you were covered by your insurance, today, your claim will be denied for the same crash as you were 'breaking the law'.
Further, if you didn't crash, but got a ticket for doing 40 in a 30 zone, next time you renew your insurance, your premium will go up.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I don't think any of those things would happen. Certainly not with my insurer.
They actually tell their customers to be as feckless as they like and they'll be covered.
Minor traffic offences are not grounds for declining claims. Otherwise they would decline half the claims for every accident, and they don't.
Indictable offences are though. Drink driving is a classic one.
I've also never had a premium increase because I got a ticket. They don't even ask at renewal time.

UncleArthur

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I had an accident 3 months back where I was happily driving along minding my own business when I got T-boned by a guy fleeing police.
Fortunately, he'd slowed down to take a corner and there were no injuries.
However even though I wasn't at fault the claims process still took me through the 'have you had any traffic infringements within the last 10 years etc'

I asked the insurance guy why I was getting asked this when the accident wasn't my fault, his reply was, it won't effect this claim, but it will be considered when your next premium renewal is due.

As it was, I couldn't recall how many I'd had which made them all pissy, and I had to get a police report to supply then, otherwise they weren't going to continue my insurance.
So, I got the police report (which had my driving history for 15 years) - one speedcamera ticket in 2017. So, I sent them the report and never heard anything further on the subject.

AMI if anyone is wondering.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That explains it. AMI, the saviours of ChCh. They used to be good years ago, something changed. Probably near bankruptcy has made them greedy.
My wife's car got rear ended ( I thought I'd better be very specific about that), Tower did not even ask about tickets when the claim was filed. Tower had other issues such as being the worst communicators I've ever dealt with. We're now with AA on the recommendation of many people.
So far, they are very responsive.
I don't like their ads telling people they can park like a blind moron and not worry about it, ie damage someone's car and do a runner.

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Heres a link to an interactive map showing the new speeds:

I thought that only CBD was changing - I was so wrong!

View attachment 152569

Holy crap, that's a lot of roads! Several of which I would be reasonably happy to drive at close to double the new limit if weather and traffic conditions were appropriate.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgerrun