NZ Chat thread - Post anything related to CM

Zakk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
This seems similar to the K band segmentation in the NZ firmware. Correct?
Similar but even more segmented. The NZ Firmware only has 2 faily wide segments, K1 and K2. K1 only is needed for NZ threats, but it still is (arguably) a lot wider than it really needs to be, compared to the much narrower and tightly specified 'K Quiet' and 'K Super Quiet' options Mithheru plans. It promises to be a lot quieter to BSMs than the NZ R7 with a fairly low risk of missing legitimate Redflex vans, allowing K sensitivity to be run at 100% which is needed for the range against Redflex.
Based off the US R7 firmware it will also mean this is a more cost-effective option than the NZ R7 that you pay quite a bit more for just the K1 and K2 band option. Does that sum things up correctly @Mithheru ?

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I run CF's of 23.900 to 24.110 on a V1, It is quiet, but even with that you still get stationary K falses around town and GM BSM's but only the lower freq of those.
You may still need some filtering.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I run CF's of 23.900 to 24.110 on a V1, It is quiet, but even with that you still get stationary K falses around town and GM BSM's but only the lower freq of those.
This update would be intended to be used also with K filter ON, quiet ride, and gps lock outs. Based upon DFR9 testing, I'm expecting this would be really quiet. Especially around Wellington where I would be recommending the super quiet option.

I'm out to test the 4th Test build today, which I have installed and checked again Ka at home. I am hoping this will confirm everything so far is working as intended. So far, I have needed to write four separate bits of code for the firmware. However, if this latest test works okay, it establishes the foundations for all the space for all the code I have left to implement.

I'm probably also going to replace the K block option to provide the menu settings for the two K Quiet options. X band has gone, as I need that space for the new coding.

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So here is the first testing of the new K band frequency auto muting...

Shouldn't take long now to complete the front end. @dudeinnz Looking forward to getting confirmation of the frequency muting accuracy on your test equipment.
Post automatically merged:

Will your firmware also replace that in a R7 NZ version?
I'm pretty sure the conversion from NZ R7 to US R7 can be made to work in reverse of what Uniden NZ does using the same 1.28 upload tool. I'd need a volunteer to go first, and can't guarantee you could revert it back again. Lets be honest this is a 2020 Uniden R7forNZ you'll be looking at.

Didn't try adding a gps lock out in the test, but its an additional feature, so you should still get gps lockouts if you need them. E.g. for the false alert I start with in the test.

Last edited:

NTLGNC

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the conversion from NZ R7 to US R7 can be made to work in reverse of what Uniden NZ does using the same 1.28 upload tool. I'd need a volunteer to go first, and can't guarantee you could revert it back again. Lets be honest this is a 2020 Uniden R7forNZ you'll be looking at.
Do you mean there is a risk, of "bricking it", or of "no regression" to the NZ firmware tree? I guess there is no bootloader in the public domain either. Either way, do I feel lucky? Hmmm...

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Do you mean there is a risk, of "bricking it", or of "no regression" to the NZ firmware tree? I guess there is no bootloader in the public domain either. Either way, do I feel lucky? Hmmm...
It is likely I can build the firmware for the original R7 NZ and still keep compatible with Uniden NZ updates. However, it somewhat defeats my point, as the US format firmware has better overall support and the firmware update process is also compatible with both Windows and Mac.

I would be 98% certain that the new firmware could be built to be applied onto your NZ R7 without issues. However, until this is tried and tested, I don't know for 100% certainty. For example, if the update did fail half way (as sometimes happens with any update), your detector would be okay, but it wouldn't work properly. Without then having a full version of the R7 NZ firmware it would not be possible to revert or recover. So you'd have to send back to Uniden NZ, and I don't think they'd be very happy about that at all.

However, its still early days yet. Let me finalise the new build before you decide. I'm also wondering about the possibility of adding a menu option to allow you to choose how the muted falses are displayed (i.e not to display at all - perfect for night driving / dark mode, or grey them out like a gps lock out). Currently there are also a couple of bug fixes, since the superquiet mode option is active only when turned off, and not active if turned on / Muting is only active with GPS turned on. I do want to fix to be independent of GPS so it still mutes BSMs even when you're driving in a tunnel etc.

I primarily designed the new firmware for the Original R7 US model format as this is where there is most demand. There is also now potential to build new R7 firmware which can be setup specifically for Au users, as well as those in other countries like Israel, Turkey, etc.

Zakk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi Mithheru, if you are looking beyond just NZ, then the frequency needs and what the settings mean will get complex quickly.

Can I suggest maybe a 2nd stage of your (amazing) work, to have 2 user set variables in the Menu interface, comprising a lower and upper K frequency to alert to. Having those two variables user defined will make it easy for end user communities to tune, avoids a lot of explaining what underlying settings really actually mean, and will avoid the need for State specific firmware variants too. (You can still offer region based databases)

It may be to difficult to specify actual frequency, but there will be some trick you can work out to achieve this. If setting actual numbers is not possible, perhaps even use the Uniden code equivalent of the Ka 9 bands on and offs, to set the equivalent lower K bands on and offs to a fairly granular degree over that small range?

Just trying to help - I think you have done an amazing proof of concept that we in NZ can benefit from, the suggestions above though would allow much easier use worldwide.

Last edited:

shadow69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
does anyone have a freight fowarder other than youshop that they could reccomend? importing from uk and usa.

DEMON5

What's a PSL
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Concerning to see on the Valentine One forum that some members who have sent their faulty Gen 2 units for repair have got them back only to fail again... This is not a good look for Valentine Research.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
does anyone have a freight fowarder other than youshop that they could reccomend? importing from uk and usa.
There's Shipit2 for US.

Concerning to see on the Valentine One forum that some members who have sent their faulty Gen 2 units for repair have got them back only to fail again... This is not a good look for Valentine Research.
No, it's not. But 70%, including mine are just fine. I'm in two minds about the repeat failures. As in wondering about power supplies.
At least, not one has failed in use without the driver knowing.

Last edited:

Zakk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
But 70%, including mine are just fine ... At least, not one has failed in use without the driver knowing.
That's a glass is half full view of the situation, I hope the 30% of users are adopting a positive approach to this too :)

@Mithheru, sorry I didn't reference you in my suggestions post above

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Zakk we had that idea when we discussed over coffee some time ago. Having a single user adjustable segment is a great concept. I think it probably could be done, but it beyond the scope of my current aims. I'd need to reclaim/reuse quite a bit of space in the code to make that possible.

I'm already thinking about removing the "Self Test" feature since its purely cosmetic and would give me a lot of space to create new features.

Currently I'm playing with the range of possible display settings for the mute. I'm getting close to being confident to start building a new menu option to provide two ways of displaying the alert mute - Option i) greyed out similar to a GPS lock out or ii) No alert displayed so as to be optimised for dark mode.

Hopefully within the next week or so, I'll be happy enough to release the new firmware.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That's a glass is half full view of the situation, I hope the 30% of users are adopting a positive approach to this too :)
Pretty much. In the States remedying the problem is easy. VR sends a freight ticket, they fix it and send it back in a coupla days, or so.
Down here it's a bit more problematic.
Most of the worst RDF anti V1 anger seems to be from non owners.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I had a 5km detection from I/O on Saturday, on SH 27.
It's been a long time since I had something like that and that was the Gen 1 on one of the canal roads in the Firth of Thames.
But, a little later I had a rabbit travelling on one of the back roads and he nearly got nailed by I/O.
there were no cars ahead, it was terrain limited and the first alert I got was him being tagged.
I really don't know why the cop didn't stop him, he was well over. But super duper range won't always save you.

Attachments

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice a lot more Police on the roads during Queenies birthday?

porkchop

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Bad weather up here so no driving but in the latest news they are reducing speed limits all over Auckland in an effort to improve "safety" expect hyper vigilant cops and cameras as they roll it out.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah, something's up. I saw a lot of regular cops and Highway patrol heading towards the highways about 7.30 on Wed.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jcthome