NZ Chat thread - Post anything related to CM

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, looks as though NZ Police have largely complied with my OIA request. I now have a very useful mountain of data, evidence and information to wade through. This also should cover all the speed and redlight cameras in NZ.

Here a few images off what I have been given. I will try to scan all this and compile it into a single pdf document and repost it for all to use.
Nice! Was this through the FYI website, or a direct request?

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Nice! Was this through the FYI website, or a direct request?
Direct request.

It's going to take me a little while to work through it all. Statistically looking at the images I can see a very large proportion are captured at night. I guess most people find the cameras much easier to see in the day, and probably a lot more people exceed the limit at night where there is less traffic. I can also see the Waterview tunnel cameras must be very busy, all these images were captured on the same day very recently, all showing different vehicles. Doesn't look as though any of these incidents happened when its raining. Most images suggest there was little other traffic around, when also therefore when there would be less chance of serious cause for accident. To me it indicates a lot of revenue was generated from drivers who were not necessarily driving unsafely.

The report also confirms the camera in Murphy's road has been decomissioned. They also sent me all the calibration data for the cameras, showing the redflex cameras use two separate radar systems, and gives me both the radar frequencies for each one of these cameras.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Wow, looks as though NZ Police have largely complied with my OIA request. I now have a very useful mountain of data, evidence and information to wade through. This also should cover all the speed and redlight cameras in NZ.

Here a few images off what I have been given. I will try to scan all this and compile it into a single pdf document and repost it for all to use.
Well done. They're probably trying drown you in info, it's another tactic Govt departments use. I think it'll backfire on them.
I've always maintained that cameras only capture low hanging fruit. The real high risk offenders are not threatened by them.
Only a dedicated, well trained Traffic force can catch the real killers on the roads.

Last edited:

UncleArthur

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Direct request.

It's going to take me a little while to work through it all. Statistically looking at the images I can see a very large proportion are captured at night. I guess most people find the cameras much easier to see in the day, and probably a lot more people exceed the limit at night where there is less traffic. I can also see the Waterview tunnel cameras must be very busy, all these images were captured on the same day very recently, all showing different vehicles. Doesn't look as though any of these incidents happened when its raining. Most images suggest there was little other traffic around, when also therefore when there would be less chance of serious cause for accident. To me it indicates a lot of revenue was generated from drivers who were not necessarily driving unsafely.

The report also confirms the camera in Murphy's road has been decomissioned. They also sent me all the calibration data for the cameras, showing the redflex cameras use two separate radar systems, and gives me both the radar frequencies for each one of these cameras.
Just watch for the black van parked outside your house aye :p

spudtatoe

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
hey all, I’ve been MIA for ages I feel, anyway dunno if it’s already been mentioned or not, but I was just going up Hobson street and noticed there seems to be a speed camera on the right hand side now?

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
hey all, I’ve been MIA for ages I feel, anyway dunno if it’s already been mentioned or not, but I was just going up Hobson street and noticed there seems to be a speed camera on the right hand side now?
You are correct. Accord to the OIA data I have been given, there is indeed a new redlight camera on Hobson street. Apparently this is in testing mode so has not issued any tickets yet.

spudtatoe

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You are correct. Accord to the OIA data I have been given, there is indeed a new redlight camera on Hobson street. Apparently this is in testing mode so has not issued any tickets yet.
Ahhh gotcha,

I also noticed while driving down Halsey street that there was some sort of camera/light thing that flashed at us so god knows what that does lol

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
OIA Data:

I have scanned all the pages in high resolution and OCRed them. The files size are massive. Apparently, many of the files are now too big to be posted on here, so I've split them up.

Attachments

UncleArthur

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
OIA Data:

I have scanned all the pages in high resolution and OCRed them. The files size are massive. Apparently, many of the files are now too big to be posted on here, so I've split them up.
Can I suggest redacting your name and address?
Post automatically merged:

OIA Data:

This is interesting, this is well into K band Segment #2 which most of us turn off, any thoughts?
1576298465113.png

Post automatically merged:

OIA Data:

Most of them seem to be around 24.124 Ghz which is still into the lower regions of Kband segment #2?
1576298634012.png

Last edited:

KiwiBloke

Floor it & swerve
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
OIA Data:

Great job on this! Can't wait to start digging through them.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Okay, this is a bit strange...

I have matched all of the static speed cameras in the images to my gps positions. However, I have three redflex cameras left over in my data which are shown on google street view all located just outside the Waterview tunnel. These are not mentioned in the OIA data:

I currently have these three cameras located at:

Tunnel Redflex1.pngTunnel Redflex2.pngTunnel Redflex3.png

Does anyone know if these three cameras still exist? Do you think they have been discontinued given that there are now six separate speed cameras confirmed within the tunnel itself!?

Strange though that these are not mentioned in the data.

I haven't started going through the redlight cameras yet, but that that will probably be quite a bit easier.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I can't confirm, but it seems unlikely. That's an awful lot of money to spend in a short area that's become widely known as a speed trap.
I wouldn't think it would have a great cost/revenue ratio.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just a quick observation:

Looks as thought the redflex redlight cameras in Auckland collect infringement revenue of both redlight AND SPEED.

No wonder they favour these cameras in Auckland rather than just the speed cameras!

NZSenator

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I got my replacement R3 mounted on Friday and set everything to wide initially, from the moment it turned on, was a very chatty detector (in central Christchurch area), picking up all sorts of K band including a nice 2km detection on the Prebbleton speed check sign on Springs Road. Have also had a few Ka blips but nothing I could use to test actual performance with, but its just nice to hear it bleeping after my last one.

So with the R3 not detecting the mobile Redflex vans, is there any reason to run K band on at all?

Mittheru is providing the redlight database so fixed cameras will be covered, its just the mobile ones left on K (right?)

kab343

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I got my replacement R3 mounted on Friday and set everything to wide initially, from the moment it turned on, was a very chatty detector (in central Christchurch area), picking up all sorts of K band including a nice 2km detection on the Prebbleton speed check sign on Springs Road. Have also had a few Ka blips but nothing I could use to test actual performance with, but its just nice to hear it bleeping after my last one.

So with the R3 not detecting the mobile Redflex vans, is there any reason to run K band on at all?

Mittheru is providing the redlight database so fixed cameras will be covered, its just the mobile ones left on K (right?)
I've turned off K band on my R3 in Christchurch, it was just way to chatty for me. And I've never been able to pick up a speed camera with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@NZSenator Has confirmed (with screenshot) his new R3 has 150.213.115 firmware already installed.

There is nothing on the Uniden US website regarding a new firmware release. So looks as though the DSP has been upgraded. Does anyone else know anything about this?

I'm reluctant to build him a firmware database file, when his DSP version is likely better than what I have.

Ankurpanwar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

I have matched all of the static speed cameras in the images to my gps positions. However, I have three redflex cameras left over in my data which are shown on google street view all located just outside the Waterview tunnel. These are not mentioned in the OIA data:

View attachment 136587View attachment 136588View attachment 136589

Does anyone know if these three cameras still exist? Do you think they have been discontinued given that there are now six separate speed cameras confirmed within the tunnel itself!?

I haven't started going through the redlight cameras yet, but that that will probably be quite a bit easier.
I can confirm these three cameras are still in place, but not sure if they are checking the speed or decommissioned and just left in place? I drive past them on a daily basis and my R3 provided by Mithheru always alerts me for these correctly!

View attachment 136587View attachment 136588View attachment 136589

I can confirm these three cameras are still in place, but not sure if they are checking the speed or decommissioned and just left in place? I drive past them on a daily basis and my R3 provided by Mithheru always alerts me via GPS for these correctly! I have K band turned off due to the number of false alarms.

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just a quick observation:

Looks as thought the redflex redlight cameras in Auckland collect infringement revenue of both redlight AND SPEED.

No wonder they favour these cameras in Auckland rather than just the speed cameras!
You'd have to have a death wish to speed through those intersections. Anyone caught well deserves whatever they get.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I can confirm these three cameras are still in place, but not sure if they are checking the speed or decommissioned and just left in place? I drive past them on a daily basis and my R3 provided by Mithheru always alerts me via GPS for these correctly! I have K band turned off due to the number of false alarms.
Thank you for the update. I was going to send you a PM as I thought you might go past these. This is interesting, as there is no mention on them on the OIA as either active or decommissioned. Given then we know they still physically exist, I think I might have to request a further OIA, on any new issues that come to light.

I'm also curious to know how they tested the Tunnel cameras to be +/- 1 kmh at 200km/h. It would be a complete farce if they ticket people for speeding at 85km/h when they know full well someone could safely ride a motorbike under their instruction at 200km/h!?

You'd have to have a death wish to speed through those intersections. Anyone caught well deserves whatever they get.
Agreed, although it looks as though quite a few people have! In my requested data which is representative of just the recent infringements, some one did 30km/h over the limit and through a redlight (see ATR012 / Rata Street intersection). That's just asking for a lot of trouble. Just lucky someone wasn't in their way, especially as the other light was already green.

On other occasions, I guess people just got bored waiting. Not very clever to wait 45 seconds, and then decide you're going to drive on regardless! So yeah fine em and give em tickets. Just hope they got a damn good talking to. However, for our purposes, I think I will update my database to warn of both speed and redlight on these redflex intersections.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I agree with warning users, that's the whole point of your good work.
30 km/h over through an intersection shows the failings of automated systems. If a cop caught someone doing that it wouldn't be an instant fine, it'd be driving at a dangerous speed.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mickrussom