Sunstrip Legality

SixPackABS

Advanced User
Reaction score
What is the legal size for sunstrip tints? How dark can you go? Some said as long as the wipers don't touch it. Some cars have smaller windsheilds like Mazda's. Is 5% legal if it is just for sunstrip?

Choose Life

35.5 hater R3 Day One User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

SixPackABS

Advanced User
Reaction score
@Choose Life I am in NY based on your link does it say Visor/sunstrip 75%...... just had 5% installed

Choose Life

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Choose Life I am in NY based on your link does it say Visor/sunstrip 75%...... just had 5% installed

Most front ws tints in other states are required to stop at AS1 line

NY allows 6 inches from top ws which is the longest allowed

Being a front window and a resident of NY it should not be darker than 70% unless a specific law grants the ws darker and i dont see it

Probably why the length is so lax

Id keep your 5% ws tint and cut it factory like to AS 1

Probably wont be bothered unless your other windows are under 70%

Which is ridiculous
Im sorry

I have 35% on my car legal limit in NC for cars

Trucks can be any darkness in back windows and my suv is much more comfortable

Over 28% imo is hard on the eyes but would get you cited in NY

schissler

Banned
Banned User
Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
it says you're allowed a 6" visor strip for NY.
Doesnt specify a % for the visor. Only side windows. You should be fine with 5%

Choose Life

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

SixPackABS

Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys. I dont have any tints on the passenger and driver side. Just hope I don't become an eyecandy for Leos

Choose Life

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
it says you're allowed a 6" visor strip for NY.
Doesnt specify a % for the visor. Only side windows. You should be fine with 5%

That would be incorrect
In NY the law is 70% for the 6 inch ws strip

schissler

Banned
Banned User
Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
That would be incorrect
In NY the law is 70% for the 6 inch ws strip

Sorry but it doesn't specify a windshield visor percentage according to NY state laws. It states 70% for front and rear SIDE windows as well as the WINDSHIELD. No limit on rear as long as you have side view mirrors.

dmv.ny.gov: Tinted windows

A 6" visor strip is allowed and with 5% would not block more than 30% of light coming through.

Learn to read.

omgboost

Left Lane Hog
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sorry but it doesn't specify a windshield visor percentage according to NY state laws. It states 70% for front and rear SIDE windows as well as the WINDSHIELD. No limit on rear as long as you have side view mirrors.

A 6" visor strip is allowed and with 5% would not block more than 30% of light coming through.

Learn to read.
No need to be hostile about it. We can read, it's interpreting the law that's the hard part.

Posted from my SM-N910T using the RDF Mobile App!

Choose Life

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Learn to read.

Since youre having difficulty with your eyes i went ahead and circled for you where the windshield could not block more than 30% of light

And 70% of the visible light transmission must pass through the windshield

20171125_183730.png

rider9195

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
As others mentioned, it's a 6 inch strip or no lower than the AS1 marking on the windshield. Doesn't matter the VLT of the strip.

Don't get me started on the NYS tint laws for inspection, it is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

System

PSL ÷ 2
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
As others mentioned, it's a 6 inch strip or no lower than the AS1 marking on the windshield. Doesn't matter the VLT of the strip.

Don't get me started on the NYS tint laws for inspection, it is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

AS1 line is all that matters. If you're not passing it, you're in compliance with all laws. I have a 5% strip which goes slightly below the AS1 line and have never been questioned. Beautiful not having to use the sun visor haha

SixPackABS

Advanced User
Reaction score
Horrible install ,,,,, im going to rip this out tomorrow.

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You can paint that 6" strip all black if you like, as long as its above the AS1 . the 70% applies to the remaining portion of a windshield for NYS.

My brother and the other workers at the inspection shop had to go through training when the laws were changed and the LEOS have been checking tint all summer in upstate due to the new law.

Brother says no issues with the front strip and they only test the front side windows, the machine they have approved fot tint inspection cannot even test the windshield.

We have a Miata with no visors, since they are useless. I put the biggest tint strip on there I could find and to date no one has given us problems.
As long as you don't tint your full Windshield, I don't think anyone even checks in NY, the focus is on the front driver and passenger windows, since almost all cars made since 1998 have side mirrors.

kyle13

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
F it, tint the whole windshield in limo lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SixPackABS

Advanced User
Reaction score
Scheduled for tinting tomorrow with a guy who tints the local LEO's vehicle here. Thanks for the info guys.

SixPackABS

Advanced User
Reaction score
Finally had my sunstrip. Install was great. Waiting for five days before moving the R3 up behind the tint strip and the dash cam below it. Tint used is a non metallic one. It is a dyed tint. Great warranty for the tint. The installer is local and very nice to deal with. Six inches sunstrip tint. A little for sun blocking but primarily just for concealing the RD, lol

ahl395

PSL?
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just thought I would add my experience with my tint/sunstrip.

The sunstrip I had was at legal level and 5%. The rest of the car was done in 20%. So the rest of the car was indeed illegal. However I actually had a LEO tell me that the reason he pulled me over was because he noticed the tint on the windshield, not the rest.

So it may be legal, but if you're running illegal tint elsewhere it may bring even more attention to you.

SixPackABS

Advanced User
Reaction score
It's already cold season, how many days will it take before the tint glue is total dry/cooked. I am itching to stick my R3 behind the tint strip.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vader716