Alert delay with Galaxy S8+

KiwiBloke

Floor it & swerve
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone else using YaV1 with an S8 or S8+?

I find that there's a significant delay between the V1 alerting and the result showing up on the YaV1 display on my S8+, anything from 2 - 5 seconds. This makes validating a threat a little tricky and obviously impacts on muting options. I've gone back to my old S4 to run the app on for now, which shows the alerts in near real-time.

I'm running YaV1 2.0.4b, tried the "bluetooth workaround" option just to see but didn't observe any appreciable difference. Turned GPS lockouts off in case that was contributing.

I've tried the usual BT debugging things - unpair and re-pair, unpaired from the car so that wouldn't be influencing anything.

So... Is there anyone here successfully using the S8 or S8+, and have you any suggestions?

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Is there anyone else using YaV1 with an S8 or S8+?

I find that there's a significant delay between the V1 alerting and the result showing up on the YaV1 display on my S8+, anything from 2 - 5 seconds. This makes validating a threat a little tricky and obviously impacts on muting options. I've gone back to my old S4 to run the app on for now, which shows the alerts in near real-time.

I'm running YaV1 2.0.4b, tried the "bluetooth workaround" option just to see but didn't observe any appreciable difference. Turned GPS lockouts off in case that was contributing.

I've tried the usual BT debugging things - unpair and re-pair, unpaired from the car so that wouldn't be influencing anything.

So... Is there anyone here successfully using the S8 or S8+, and have you any suggestions?
How much lag is there with the V1 Connection app on the S8?

NVR2FST

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I run the latest updated V1 with the factory remote display, factory remote speaker and YaV1 and either a dedicated Moto G or my personal Samsung Note 4.

Fastest and most reliable alerts are with the native V1 display. The factory remote may lag a bit, though not always. YaV1 may lag a bit longer, maybe a few seconds. YaV1 running in the background is the most problematic, sometimes failing to pop up at all.

Hope this helps. K.I.S.S. seems to be at work here.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

KiwiBloke

Floor it & swerve
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
How much lag is there with the V1 Connection app on the S8?
I forgot to mention that. Same behaviour with the V1 Connection app. I'm wondering if the issue lies with the Bluetooth 5 implementation on the S8 and the way it interacts with the V1 Bluetooth adaptor, and hence if there's a way to force a legacy mode on the S8 that I'm not aware of.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the V1 local display will give the quickest response as you'd expect. On my S4 the delay is perceptible, only if you're paying attention. The delay on the S8 is measurable in seconds - it's not a small difference.

Choose Life

35.5 hater R3 Day One User
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The firmware they've put on on android is garbage the last couple months
They've had to update it twice
This latest version on the S7 is much better
Check that your firmware was up to date
I would have apps open get a phone call and the lag would be like 5 seconds after pressing green go button

KiwiBloke

Floor it & swerve
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The firmware they've put on on android is garbage the last couple months
They've had to update it twice
This latest version on the S7 is much better
Check that your firmware was up to date
I would have apps open get a phone call and the lag would be like 5 seconds after pressing green go button
Thanks, yeah it's up to date. Guess I'll have to be patient and hope it gets sorted out eventually.

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
You may want to try clearing your app & bluetooth cache to see if that speeds things up.

Choose Life

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You may want to try clearing your app & bluetooth cache to see if that speeds things up.
Make sure all apps that can be on memory card are
You need minimum 64gb total now
Clear cache
Run Norton antivirus look for draining apps

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You could get a dedicated S4 or S3. My S4 is instant, even using it with the Torque app. Very impressed.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Make sure all apps that can be on memory card are
You need minimum 64gb total now
Clear cache
Run Norton antivirus look for draining apps
A min of 64gb total for what?

Choose Life

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
A min of 64gb total for what?
On an android cell phone that comes with 13GB of bloatware
Apps will fill another 10-15gb
All pictures and videos on these big mega pixel phones will fill up 32gb on the card in short order
You want extra space to store and extra space because apps don't run fast if you don't have extra space

Most phones come 32gb and 64gb card is good enough
A 32gb internal and a 32gb card is nothing
I have that filled now and only have
An hour of video stored but thousands of pics
128gb card you never have to worry
A 16gb phone is get a 128gb card right away

Also even on name brand authentic cards my 64gb on my came with 60.58 and and 32gb with 30.37

Last edited:

KiwiBloke

Floor it & swerve
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you using Bluetooth through your car?
Yes / No... I've eliminated that variable.

--- DOUBLEPOST MERGED ---

Resurrecting an old thread just to document my solution in case someone were to be searching on the topic.
To recap: I was experiencing latency of 2 - 5 seconds using the V1Connection dongle with my S8+.

A minor update from Samsung late last year apparently intended to help Bluetooth issues reduced the latency to about 1.5 seconds (only after unparing the S8+ from the car BT), still much slower than my old S4 was and enough to be annoying but a lot better than it was.

I was at the point of buying a cheap dedicated phone (which would have been annoying for other reasons) but decided to take a gamble: I took delivery today of a V1Connection LE and have been out for a drive... After a bit of testing I'm confident that the excessive latency is gone - the (JBV1) app now practically instantly reports the alert from the V1. Yay!
Still works fine even with the cars' BT connected.

Conclusions:
1) There's still an issue with the Bluetooth implementation on the S8+ (and likely S8 since they're the same platform)
1.1) This is evidently particular to legacy Bluetooth devices
2) If you have an S8 / S8+ and are having latency issues with the old V1Connection dongle try unparing from the car BT (don't just disconnect, unpair. Then restart & clear the dalvik cache). Or consider that:
3) The V1Connection LE plays nice with the S8+

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
On an android cell phone that comes with 13GB of bloatware
Apps will fill another 10-15gb
All pictures and videos on these big mega pixel phones will fill up 32gb on the card in short order
You want extra space to store and extra space because apps don't run fast if you don't have extra space

Most phones come 32gb and 64gb card is good enough
A 32gb internal and a 32gb card is nothing
I have that filled now and only have
An hour of video stored but thousands of pics
128gb card you never have to worry
A 16gb phone is get a 128gb card right away

Also even on name brand authentic cards my 64gb on my came with 60.58 and and 32gb with 30.37
Name brand cards even jip you now eh?
You do understand what “formatted" means right?
You do realize some apps run poorly if you move them to the SD card.
You do realize how much storage space you have has no effect on application speed (other than an app might cache more data in the phone with more storage (e.g. maps) if it has the space). Other than that, 5gb free vs 50gb free would not affect an app like YaV1 and it’s lag time.
If you need extra room for pics and video, go for it. That’s generally what chews up most folk storage space.
I personally use Google Photos (free unlimited storage) for pics so I don’t need to chew up so much space on the phone. Don’t need every picture and video I’ve ever taken in my pocket.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
V1C-LE has much lower latency as you have found K bloke. I just bought a cheap chinese phone running Android 7 and it's a tad quicker than my S4 was, and that was pretty damn quick.
If you want a dedicated phone PM me for details of this one.

KiwiBloke

Floor it & swerve
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
V1C-LE has much lower latency as you have found K bloke. I just bought a cheap chinese phone running Android 7 and it's a tad quicker than my S4 was, and that was pretty damn quick.
If you want a dedicated phone PM me for details of this one.
Thanks Lou. While I'm not looking to run a dedicated phone (at this stage anyway), I'm curious what you ended up with. I'm trying to get a friend of mine to update his rather old V1 and come into the modern world and if I can point him to a lower cost option that he can have confidence will work well that'd be great.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sightline