Can Someone Explain What Type of LED Bulb Termination This Is For My Vehicle?

Tallyho

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Figured since you guys are more technically competent than me, you could help solve this mystery regarding an LED termination for my E46 sidemarker. What the hell is this plug termination and just as importantly what does the female termination to which it belongs look like?

Do I have any chance of making it work retroactively on a 2005 E46?

Attachments

• 20170607_190259.jpg
    20170607_190259.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 88

Andrew21

"All Blade, All The Time" RDForum Owner
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Did you do a search on eBay? It will tell you which bulb is compatible. That's how I get my info sometimes

Posted from my Pixel XL using the RDF Mobile App!

Tallyho

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Last edited:

kcux

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Tallyho - it appears from a quick internet search that you are missing a part.

In the original side marker, you should have a bulb carrier. That carrier connects to the turn signal lead that you have coming out of the quarter panel and then the bulb is plugged into the other side of the carrier. You'll end up tucking this stuff into the quarter panel. I'd probably wrap this with waterproof tape to keep it from vibrating apart too.

It looks like you have a full LED replacement unit - so you'll need that bulb carrier to be part of your circuit. The tab you show in the first picture goes into the 'bulb' side of the carrier and the other is hooked to the protruding turn signal leads. You might check out this YT video that shows it closeup:

https://youtu.be/zkpjtiiqknA?t=47

Last edited:

Tallyho

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you, sir.

Here is the technical answer I received from the seller and just us [MENTION=4194]kcux[/MENTION] indicated the LED T10 connector needs to plug into the bulb carrier:

The LED side markers have a LED T10 connector that mimics the base of the halogen W5W bulb. Here is a video reference to better show you what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSR4GgO160U

It was a good learning experience as I've never heard of an LED T10 connector and also found out that it is backwards compatible with an outdated interface as long as you have the base. In addition polarity must be aligned correctly with this LED connection.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TGurnie