The Big Uniden vs M3 vs V1 vs RPSE Shootout May 16, 2017

NPark

-NNJCTG- Rollin', windows down, music up
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks Jhaggy (and everyone else) for the thanks appreciation and support!

The shipping bill today came to $194.56.

View attachment 55858

Hearty thanks to everyone who threw in some cash to help cover expenses. $200 was the total amount sent by Holla, colloyd00, Jazzy, Brainstorm69, Vehicle 1, InsipidMonkey, pntblnk, NPark, mark0101, and sixpackABS.

That covered all of the shipping expenses, so I'm sure grateful for you guys. The insurance alone came to about $95, a big chunk of that was insuring Vortex's Stalker II gun and 4 detectors. USPS sure don't miss an opportunity to make some money, do they! But imagine if I didn't get insurance and the whole lot went missing. I'd be in the to the awesome contributors who sent their gear a hole a LOT of money.

So again, thanks guys for helping pay for those costs, and contributing to the cause by sending your detectors. We came together and made a great test!

I share the numbers to give people a better idea of what's involved with a big undertaking like this.

I drove 330 miles on the test day, which took 7 hours 51 minutes. Here's a snapshot of my Google history page for that day:

View attachment 55859

Add the time it takes to get all the video edited and uploaded to video; hours and hours, longer than you think it would take.

This test was very well worth it. The data is great, albeit unpopular to a few, and helps put these awesome new Unidens into perspective relative to the world-class detectors tested. Uniden sure have hit it out of the park.

My GOODNESS. Thanks again HC!! I don't know how ANYONE can complain. This poor guy took a lot of time, put a lot of miles on his car. Everyone owes this man a round of applause! Job well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NPark

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is anyone else wondering about the standard deviation?

30eece29de4f989c7f51baed65e3d964.jpg

Nice bell-curve.

Edwv30

Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for everything [MENTION=51]hiddencam[/MENTION]..awesome test! Good thing some of the angry members weren't around back in the day when foam was the standard in testing! :eek:

NPark

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for everything [MENTION=51]hiddencam[/MENTION]..awesome test! Good thing some of the angry members weren't around back in the day when foam was the standard in testing! :eek:

They'd probably be foaming from the mouth...

cihkal

♟️ WWG1WGA ⛈️
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you man, really great work!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

meismyname

SysOp
SysOp
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for everything man. It's awesome that the community was able to cover your shipping costs for this test.

whitetailhntr

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
What an eye opening thread.

I lurk all the time without logging in, and this thread confirms my decision to do that. The cliques formed here are unbelievable.

Asking probing questions and appreciating the time and money spent to test this many detectors aren't mutually exclusive. It looks like the R3 is the most sensitive detector out there, but how many cops do you know hide in trees and shoot radar through thick foliage to catch speeders?

Hugel66 had the best post in this entire thread. His company is a competitor to Uniden and he gave props where it's deserved, but there is no data here that makes the M3, V1, or RPSE obsolete. This thing hasn't even been released into the wild yet and people are writing eulogies for all other radar detectors. There are several tests with the R3 already posted that don't put radar in places they'd never be in real life (in trees), and while they best the competition, it's not to a degree that is worth writing all other radar detectors off.

That being said, I own a V1 and a WB Magnum, and I'll be ordering one of these by the end of the year just because I'm an enthusiast. It just seems like everything is getting Trumpified these days with people picking sides and not thinking critically about their own position while simultaneously demonizing any dissenting positions. That's no way to live your life, because it screams insecurity.

Ok thanks Mike V.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Because in your case the LEO has his gun at the edge of the road aiming it down the road and TRHOUGH the trees. Here, the gun was IN the trees and aiming into other foliage. This absorbed a LOT more RF than an LEO setting up to obtain speed readings.

As I said, our cops often hide behind bushes where they can. I also have no doubt that the test winners would have alerted a bit earlier than my V1 in my scenario, but it saves my butt, I can't ask for more.

Just Another RD User

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
You can't use this data to compare a V1 to a 9200BT. You just know that they did worse than a R3 or M3.

Based on Vortex's testing I recently jumped on a $78 Cobra DSP 9200 BT new on eBay so I was looking forward to see how it directly compares to some of these current front runners. I'm glad that on 35.5 it was right up there with the low end of the high end detectors (as confusing as that may sound!). I'll agree that I am also little disappointed to see no of differentiation on the low end for 34.7, but I know that that wasn't the primary goal of the test so I'm not going to complain. I can't imagine all the work that goes into a test like this even though no matter how much you do it's never enough to please everybody, so big thanks to HiddenCam for all the time, effort, and money contributed to generating and sharing this data!

Am i the only one that is impressed by the cobra detection range? lol

I'm pretty impressed too! I only wanted a radar detector for curiosity so I couldn't justify spending hundreds for a high end one. I know Cobras are generally regarded as inferior, but I'm pretty impressed with the Cobra DSP. It often alerts me well before I can make visual contact, as well as helping me spot a few unmarked cars I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I'm also impressed with how small and unobtrusive it is. This thing is half the size of most of the other detectors here! I have a few minor complaints, but I think it's quite a bang for your buck under $100.

Last edited:

SixPackABS

Advanced User
Reaction score
I am not impressed by the Cobra 9200BT........ but it's right up my rear asS WS taking care of my rear threat. Just waiting for the R3 at my doorstep.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks Jhaggy (and everyone else) for the thanks appreciation and support!

The shipping bill today came to $194.56.

Hearty thanks to everyone who threw in some cash to help cover expenses. $200 was the total amount sent by Holla, colloyd00, Jazzy, Brainstorm69, Vehicle 1, InsipidMonkey, pntblnk, NPark, mark0101, and sixpackABS.

That covered all of the shipping expenses, so I'm sure grateful for you guys. The insurance alone came to about $95, a big chunk of that was insuring Vortex's Stalker II gun and 4 detectors. USPS sure don't miss an opportunity to make some money, do they! But imagine if I didn't get insurance and the whole lot went missing. I'd be in the hole to the awesome contributors who sent their gear a LOT of money.

So again, thanks guys for helping pay for those costs, and contributing to the cause by sending your detectors. We came together and made a great test!

I share the numbers to give people a better idea of what's involved with a big undertaking like this.

I drove 330 miles on the test day, which took 7 hours 51 minutes. Here's a snapshot of my Google history page for that day:

Add the time it takes to get all the video edited and uploaded to video; hours and hours, longer than you think it would take.

This test was very well worth it. The data is great, albeit unpopular to a few, and helps put these awesome new Unidens into perspective relative to the world-class detectors tested. Uniden sure have hit it out of the park.

Once again, great job and a huge THANK YOU, @hiddencam! Glad to see that folks sent you enough to at least cover shipping back. It does take a lot of time, effort and money to do testing and report results. And while members do appreciate the effort, I think it's hard to understand how much goes into doing it and reporting it until you do it yourself. Thanks for giving folks an idea!

Last edited:

SixPackABS

Advanced User
Reaction score
[MENTION=9768]Brainstorm69[/MENTION] and @Jag24
Do let us know if you have any future bigtime testing so we can pass the hat again,

hiddencam

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Once again, great job and a huge THANK YOU, @hiddencam! Glad to see that folks sent you enough to at least cover shipping back. It does take a lot of time, effort and money to do testing and report results. And while members do appreciate the effort, I think it's hard to understand how much goes into doing it and reporting it until you do it yourself. Thanks for giving folks an idea!
Thanks man! I shudder to think how much you and Jag42 have spent on incidental expenses during the massive amount of testing you've both done over the past 2 years. It's surely in the thousands of dollars, not even including money spent on radar guns and detectors. We're all very fortunate to have you guys here.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks man! I shudder to think how much you and Jag42 have spent on incidental expenses during the massive amount of testing you've both done over the past 2 years. It's surely in the thousands of dollars, not even including money spent on radar guns and detectors. We're all very fortunate to have you guys here.

BTW, I forgot to say how much I appreciate you getting everything shipped back so quickly! I'm sure that was a PITA...and I've been missing the R3...lol. ;)

hiddencam

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
BTW, I forgot to say how much I appreciate you getting everything shipped back so quickly! I'm sure that was a PITA...and I've been missing the R3...lol. ;)
Haha yes it was a bit of a PITA! She's on her way home packed snug and safely with your RL and Magnum. I'll PM you (and everyone else) the tracking.

Up All Night

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Nice bell-curve.

Actually, I'll like to see it tighter.
Normally I would throw out the high and low but the sample is so small...
And that one R3 is so hot
Hopefully the production units mirror the 'golden unit'.

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Actually, I'll like to see it tighter.
Normally I would throw out the high and low but the sample is so small...
And that one R3 is so hot
Hopefully the production units mirror the 'golden unit'.

Regardless even if you had the least performing R1 or R3 its still above the pack and has better filtering. Uniden really has knocked the Redline/Magnum out of the performance category with the R1 at $299.95 making it the best value. For $100 more you add the GPS features and you are still saving money over a M3 detector and now have what everyone has been asking for a M3 w/GPS.

NPark

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Regardless even if you had the least performing R1 or R3 its still above the pack and has better filtering. Uniden really has knocked the Redline/Magnum out of the performance category with the R1 at $299.95 making it the best value. For $100 more you add the GPS features and you are still saving money over a M3 detector and now have what everyone has been asking for a M3 w/GPS.

That's the truth Tom!

NPark

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hey guys no max 360 was part of the test?
Too many zeros? haha

It would've been! Lol. No one had one to offer at the time of HC's inquiries. NOT a big deal though. If the higher end detectors(V1, M3(packaged LNA) got a zero alert, there is NO way that thing would alert over those.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akoe