Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I cannot believe that some of you people on this forum can be so negative toward an individual that took a day out of his life to test all of these RD's for us! All we need to do for this man is say a VERY VERY BIG THANK YOU and that is it!

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I doubt the answer is yes, but why would that matter? It's about whether a detector can detect the signal, not whether the signal is effective or not in establishing speed. For this test questions about kill zones and whether the radar source got a reading are pretty much irrelevant.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Quick question on the 34.7 results with the gun in the trees; was the gun able to get a reading on your car with all that foliage in front of it?
Nope

haha it sure didn't give ANY speed readings while i was looking at it. i didn't expect there to be any measurable kill zone from that position. So i definitely agree that this was not a position a LEO would use!

Reactions: WJS

WJS

A low profile can be the best defense
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I doubt the answer is yes, but why would that matter? It's about whether a detector can detect the signal, not whether the signal is effective or not in establishing speed. For this test questions about kill zones and whether the radar source got a reading are pretty much irrelevant.

I get that (it's a radio tuned to a frequency) but if a detector is basing its alerts on when you're approaching and in a gun's killzone, yet there is no killzone due to obstacles in front of the gun, then that detector would never alert because it didn't meet the alert requirements, right?

meismyname

SysOp
SysOp
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I get that (it's a radio tuned to a frequency) but if a detector is basing its alerts on when you're approaching and in a gun's killzone, yet there is no killzone due to obstacles in front of the gun, then that detector would never alert because it didn't meet the alert requirements, right?

Yes. That's why many of the detectors did not alert. The signal was never strong enough for the detector to alert, let alone for the radar gun to get a speed reading.

Buz

Old School Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This thread is getting long in the tooth, but I see what HC did in this test. He pushed all the detectors to their limits, which is what true RD enthusiasts want to see.
If you don't understand why HC didn't care about 'kill zone' in this test, then you aren't far enough along in this hobby.

meismyname

SysOp
SysOp
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This thread is getting long in the tooth, but I see what HC did in this test. He pushed all the detectors to their limits, which is what true RD enthusiasts want to see.
If you don't understand why HC didn't care about 'kill zone' in this test, then you aren't far enough along in this hobby.
I understand plenty what he did and why. I'm not necessarily complaining about a kill zone as much as the fact that it was so far away that even some pretty top tier detectors couldn't detect it, so our results are essentially clipped at a certain point. It does a great job of showing what the M3s and R3 are capable of, but it doesn't show what the others are capable of, just that they aren't as good as the M3s or R3. If the radar gun was closer to the road we might have a more complete set of data, regardless of if there was a kill zone or not.

WJS

A low profile can be the best defense
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score

I get it and I appreciate it. Just looking for clarification and how the results apply to my needs. Thanks [MENTION=51]hiddencam[/MENTION] for your work!

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I can't dispute the results seen in the test, but I live in an region of twisty hilly roads with pine forests and native bush right to the road edges in most places, even have cops parking behind foliage to hide, and have never missed a 34.7 alert on my V1 3.8952 with custom sweeps. A recent test in an urban area with a lot of greenery, and blind crests between me and the cop still saw a 1200 metre alert on 34.7. The V1 always alerts to C/O, or I/O on other vehicles, before the cop is in sight.
Go figure.

Last edited:

fishing66

Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
=meismyname;863212I'm not necessarily complaining about a kill zone as much as the fact that it was so far away that even some pretty top tier detectors couldn't detect it

this test did a great job of demonstrating that detectors that were once "top tier" no longer merit that classification. That's not something to complain about, that's something to take notice of and make buying decisions accordingly. MV and Escobra need to up their game or else Uniden is going to eat their lunch. Thanks to @hiddencam for putting the time and effort into this test. May many schooners of Little Creatures Ale be in your future.....

Last edited:

alloy00

vMax
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I can't dispute the results seen in the test, but I live in an region of twisty hilly roads with pine forests and native bush right to the road edges in most places, even have cops parking behind foliage to hide, and have never missed a 34.7 alert on my V1 3.8952 with custom sweeps. A recent test in an urban area with a lot of greenery, and blind crests between me and the cop still saw a 1200 metre alert on 34.7. The V1 always alerts to C/O, or I/O on other vehicles, before the cop is in sight.
Go figure.

Because in your case the LEO has his gun at the edge of the road aiming it down the road and TRHOUGH the trees. Here, the gun was IN the trees and aiming into other foliage. This absorbed a LOT more RF than an LEO setting up to obtain speed readings.

namwoljr

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
What an eye opening thread.

I lurk all the time without logging in, and this thread confirms my decision to do that. The cliques formed here are unbelievable.

Asking probing questions and appreciating the time and money spent to test this many detectors aren't mutually exclusive. It looks like the R3 is the most sensitive detector out there, but how many cops do you know hide in trees and shoot radar through thick foliage to catch speeders?

Hugel66 had the best post in this entire thread. His company is a competitor to Uniden and he gave props where it's deserved, but there is no data here that makes the M3, V1, or RPSE obsolete. This thing hasn't even been released into the wild yet and people are writing eulogies for all other radar detectors. There are several tests with the R3 already posted that don't put radar in places they'd never be in real life (in trees), and while they best the competition, it's not to a degree that is worth writing all other radar detectors off.

That being said, I own a V1 and a WB Magnum, and I'll be ordering one of these by the end of the year just because I'm an enthusiast. It just seems like everything is getting Trumpified these days with people picking sides and not thinking critically about their own position while simultaneously demonizing any dissenting positions. That's no way to live your life, because it screams insecurity.

Buz

Old School Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There are several tests with the R3 already posted that don't put radar in places they'd never be in real life (in trees), and while they best the competition, it's not to a degree that is worth writing all other radar detectors off.
Not sure why some don't see that this test measured pure sensitivity, not typical RD encounters.
If you went hunting with 3 different scopes and only one of them allowed you see the actual eyeball of a deer at 250 yards, which one would you choose next time you went hunting? They're all crisp at 100 yards (typical LEO encounter) but one of them can see 250 yards crisply. (Long range/sneaky LEO encounter)
Baffles me that some don't see the benefit of doing well in this test.

Last edited:

cihkal

♟️ WWG1WGA ⛈️
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
What an eye opening thread.

I lurk all the time without logging in, and this thread confirms my decision to do that. The cliques formed here are unbelievable.

Asking probing questions and appreciating the time and money spent to test this many detectors aren't mutually exclusive. It looks like the R3 is the most sensitive detector out there, but how many cops do you know hide in trees and shoot radar through thick foliage to catch speeders?

Hugel66 had the best post in this entire thread. His company is a competitor to Uniden and he gave props where it's deserved, but there is no data here that makes the M3, V1, or RPSE obsolete. This thing hasn't even been released into the wild yet and people are writing eulogies for all other radar detectors. There are several tests with the R3 already posted that don't put radar in places they'd never be in real life (in trees), and while they best the competition, it's not to a degree that is worth writing all other radar detectors off.

That being said, I own a V1 and a WB Magnum, and I'll be ordering one of these by the end of the year just because I'm an enthusiast. It just seems like everything is getting Trumpified these days with people picking sides and not thinking critically about their own position while simultaneously demonizing any dissenting positions. That's no way to live your life, because it screams insecurity.
Well said, we could use you around more often! I think people are so excited about this product and passionate in general things went awry. I hope you continue to post more often as I'm sure you'll help keep a balance to the place.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Up All Night

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
what's the difference between brainstorm's uniden and vortex uniden ??? :confused:

Is anyone else wondering about the standard deviation?

30eece29de4f989c7f51baed65e3d964.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hiddencam

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks again for your hard work, time and $$$. These tests ain't cheap when you consider the amount of gas money and radar detector money spent plus mileage placed on your car...All that alone should be enough for anyone to appreciate without criticizing any testing that is done on this forum for FREE at someone else's expense...
Thanks Jhaggy (and everyone else) for the thanks appreciation and support!

The shipping bill today came to $194.56.

IMG_1286.JPG

Hearty thanks to everyone who threw in some cash to help cover expenses. $200 was the total amount sent by Holla, colloyd00, Jazzy, Brainstorm69, Vehicle 1, InsipidMonkey, pntblnk, NPark, mark0101, and sixpackABS.

That covered all of the shipping expenses, so I'm sure grateful for you guys. The insurance alone came to about $95, a big chunk of that was insuring Vortex's Stalker II gun and 4 detectors. USPS sure don't miss an opportunity to make some money, do they! But imagine if I didn't get insurance and the whole lot went missing. I'd be in the hole to the awesome contributors who sent their gear a LOT of money.

So again, thanks guys for helping pay for those costs, and contributing to the cause by sending your detectors. We came together and made a great test!

I share the numbers to give people a better idea of what's involved with a big undertaking like this.

I drove 330 miles on the test day, which took 7 hours 51 minutes. Here's a snapshot of my Google history page for that day:

IMG_1287.JPG

Add the time it takes to get all the video edited and uploaded to video; hours and hours, longer than you think it would take.

This test was very well worth it. The data is great, albeit unpopular to a few, and helps put these awesome new Unidens into perspective relative to the world-class detectors tested. Uniden sure have hit it out of the park.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmednofal