The Big Uniden vs M3 vs V1 vs RPSE Shootout May 16, 2017

cihkal

Let there be light!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, why don't we all do HC a solid and let the dust settle. Hard work went into the test by one of our own and we have results to learn from. No one test answers all questions and provides a complete perspective.

Regardless of our differences let's not forget why we're all here, that we are a group with common goals, and appear to have a digital detector that isn't a flop like the Max. This is a good thing for everyone just in terms of competition amongst companies.

Most importantly, let's take a step back so we aren't taking away from someone's hard work. Being critical and objective does not cast a shadow on someone's work, but we've moved beyond that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ifarted

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Am i the only one that is impressed by the cobra detection range? lol

Biohazardous

Finding the loopholes
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Between this and IO testing it is exactly what I wanted to see. I drive largely rural roads with LOTS of foliage and i need something that will sniff out weak signals. Great info, it's greatly helpful to myself. Thank you for it!

fishing66

Lord of the Pies
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I find this test to be of immense value because it is depicting a real-world scenario. Here's a marked-up screenshot of a section of road near my house. LEOs in the next town over use this stretch of road as a cash cow, particularly the downhill (westbound) lane. They sit at the bottom of the hill and when there is a lot of foliage, even a CO signal gets attenuated when you're coming downhill towards the kill zone. My old Bel Pro 500 wouldn't alert until line of sight at which point it was game over. The M3 will usually pick it up with enough time for a save, however, one of these LEOs loves to use IO. The ability of the new Unidens to pick up signals through foliage will be of immense value in dealing with this threat. Whether it's CO or IO, I don't want to be alerted IN the kill zone, I want an alert well BEFORE the kill zone. The Unidens demonstrated their ability to do that and several others failed. R3 is on pre-order with BRD.

46.jpg

Up All Night

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Read though this fast. I didn't see any mention of filter levels being set to off or firmware versions being the same.

Under the assume nothing motto I'm inquiring and if I missed something I apologize.

And YES, Thanks for all the time and toil put into this - a true show of devotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this but not firmware.
(Was wondering about all units, not just the R's)
Have other questions but, considering the tone and emotionally they are best kept to myself at least for the moment.

So all had X off, K off, TSR/TMF/TSF off, k filter off, laser on, ka narrow or 2/5/8 or simple sweeps (will post screenshots of v1 settings and sweeps in a sec).

NPark

-NNJCTG- Rollin', windows down, music up
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Send her in for a tune up----time for a re-solder and tweaking.

Agreed. Maybe she needs her "pipes cleaned." Lol

Jhaggy

On Your Left...
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for all your hard work @hiddencam! Don't worry with these guys, I actually liked this forum cause it never had any drama everyone was professional but latetly V1 user's have been edgy by range detectors idk why. In one test that Jag I believe did the redline detected like half the distance of the R3 at 55% and no one complained, redline users clapped.

Whatever questions they have against your testing...ex: low battery, just run the V1 first when the battery are fully charged cause I'm sure even after hours of use on a battery true detectors would still put up their regular numbers..Thanks again for your hard work, time and $$$. These tests ain't cheap when you consider the amount of gas money and radar detector money spent plus mileage placed on your car...All that alone should be enough for anyone to appreciate without criticizing any testing that is done on this forum for FREE at someone else's expense...

Last edited:

alloy00

vMax
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
What part of the M3 design do you think Attowave copied? Please be specific.

I'm only quoting this part of the post so we all continue to step down the drama. And talk about the detectors.

In my mind, the answer is very little:
- The M3 has dual horns, the R1/R3 does not.
- The M3 uses an LNA, the R1/R3 does not.
- The M3 has an analog backend, the R1/R3 is digital.

To me, the R1/R3 is more like a Max. And the question is, what's in Uniden's secret sauce that makes it work so well in the real world, while the Max is more limited once it leaves the Faraday cage?

gpgxp

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for all your hard work @hiddencam! Don't worry with these guys, I actually liked this forum cause it never had any drama everyone was professional but latetly V1 user's have been edgy by range detectors idk why. In one test that Jag I believe did the redline detected like half the distance of the R3 at 55% and no one complained, redline users clapped.

Whatever questions they have against your testing...ex: low battery, just run the V1 first when the battery are fully charged cause I'm sure even after hours of use on a battery true detectors would still put up their regular numbers..Thanks again for your hard work, time and $$$. These tests ain't cheap when you consider the amount of gas money and radar detector money spent plus mileage placed on your car...All that alone should be enough for anyone to appreciate without criticizing any testing that is done on this forum for FREE at someone else's expense...

I noticed the edginess around here too. The DFR 7 didn't alert either and I still love mine. The test was perfect. It separated the high end from the mid pack models. Reality is hard to swallow for some. Thanks to all the testers. More hard tests, and I don't care about kill zones. Even the low end will alert there. I want a detector that finds the sneaky hidden radars and the I/O way ahead of me, not just the ones in plain sight.

NPark

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well said colloyd. It's the design at this point which is the difference. If you guys remember Pointer Cone's short range encounter, his detector(M3) BARELY alerted before the source. That was "real world" and a "kill zone." Doubt any of the others would've alerted there(before it was too late). Terrain, radar angle, and direction matter. At the end of the day, the R-series, and M3's are just more sensitive than the others. Doesn't make the others "bad" or "unusable" AT ALL. HC's test was suited to prove which detector was able to perform in VERY tough conditions. And for those of us on the east coast(or similar terrain) encounter these situations regularly.

Not everyone will encounter that. Heck, some of you guys have probably never seen terrain like that. What's wrong with a test showing these conditions?? Hey, in the chance you come across tough conditions and your detector didn't alert, you have HC(and his tests) as proof why. Appreciate the tests, and please, think of the whole picture before pointless arguing.

Last edited:

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Wow.. I am sorry to say I dont have the time to read all 13 pages but I cant believe the few posts that I have read. Instead of not giving thanks for someone spending their personal time to perform a test I have seen complaints. This is just one test on a difficult course. If he tested detectors on a straight 2-4 mile road all the top detectors would perform the same so to try to show some separation the tests have become more difficult. Will people see these encounters... Maybe or Maybe not but it does not change the results of one single test and anyone spending their time to contribute should be thanked for it.

PointerCone

M3 Kng
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

BINGO, someone who gets it!!

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed the edginess around here too. The DFR 7 didn't alert either and I still love mine. The test was perfect. It separated the high end from the mid pack models. Reality is hard to swallow for some. Thanks to all the testers. More hard tests, and I don't care about kill zones. Even the low end will alert there. I want a detector that finds the sneaky hidden radars and the I/O way ahead of me, not just the ones in plain sight.
and another who gets it!!

meismyname

SysOp
SysOp
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In case anyone wasn't sure, I'm definitely thankful to Hiddencam for these results. It's really great to see just how well the R3 does, and I can't wait for mine to get here. I too would like to leave the drama behind us and get back to the party. :)

HotRodEV

Ih8w8ing
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Will people see these encounters... Maybe or Maybe not

I will and do almost every single day.

That's why, when the chance arose, I picked up a WB Magnum several months ago, and have pre-ordered an R3 - I want to give myself as much of a fighting chance as I can.

Last edited:

NPark

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I will and do almost every single day.

That's why I picked up a WB Magnum several months ago, when the chance arose and have pre-ordered an R3 - I want to give myself as much of a fighting chance as I can.

With those curves/trees you'll need it!

Last edited:

Hügel66

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Awesome work [MENTION=51]hiddencam[/MENTION]. Every one who has run a single test knows how much work goes into it. You did 26 detectors with multiple runs. Awesome test course too.
This test confirms the bench test data which usually don't lie. A 500 hp car usually beats a 100 hp car. Period. It doesn't mean though that the 100 hp car does not get you where you want to go in time. But that is a different story and was not the purpose of the test. Good job HC! You know how to lay out a course to get separation....

PointerCone

M3 Kng
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Awesome work @hiddencam. Every one who has run a single test knows how much work goes into it. You did 26 detectors with multiple runs. Awesome test course too.
This test confirms the bench test data which usually don't lie. A 500 hp car usually beats a 100 hp car. Period. It doesn't mean though that the 100 hp car does not get you where you want to go in time. But that is a different story and was not the purpose of the test. Good job HC! You know how to lay out a course to get separation....

Which now begs the question Michael. Whats next for Radenso and Attowave sourced RDs or components?? Do I smell a Radenso R3 beater coming down the pike?? :):)

Hügel66

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Which now begs the question Michael. Whats next for Radenso and Attowave sourced RDs or components?? Do I smell a Radenso R3 beater coming down the pike?? :):)

Honestly, I don't know if that will be our goal. I know range is important, especially for the active folks here in this forum for whom this is a sport. "Mine is longer than yours" kind of sport. I don't necessarily see the big benefit of longest range outside the forum community. We sold a lot of XPs and RPSEs, offer a ticket protection and I am still waiting for the first ticket reimbursement request. No doubt, the R series of Uniden will give you more detection range in pretty much every terrain you can think of. Even a cop shooting his gun out of a tree in the woods will not be able to write you a ticket...:)
But in reality, the benefit of the extra horse power will be marginal at most. I applaud Attowave for the development of ground breaking technology and show what can be done.
I am sure we will implement similar platforms in the future but not necessarily to add another 1000 feet of detection range just to beat the R1 or R3. There are other more important goals we are trying to accomplish that have true value for everyone. It's a lot of fun.....

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fliegenfischen