meismyname

SysOp
SysOp
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I was the one that was originally attributed with the whole "kill zone" thing in this thread, but as I later clarified, it was more that the test was so difficult that it didn't produce data for a number of detectors. I also said that this was still very good data, as it showed the difference of sensitivity between detectors. Moreso, I just didn't want people looking at this test and saying "this detector is crap because look here, it didn't even alert!" without seeing that the radar gun wasn't anywhere close to getting someone's speed (more likely the people new to the hobby, not the experts).

It would probably be good to note the whole sensitivity test vs real world range test in any test where we're sticking a gun in a tree or using radar absorbing foam, but again, that doesn't make the data any less valid.

I'm completely open to using foam, because if anything, it lets us to sensitivity testing while eliminating the variables of the environment. I have no clue what kind of separation we'll see, but I'm interested to see the results. As Vortex pointed out, it doesn't replace real world testing with kill zones and everything, it's just another type of test to use to gain data with.

Tallyho

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I agree. I know people were up in arms about it at the time. It reduces the range and so it's not totally realistic, similar to you putting a radar gun in the trees or the TXCTG aiming the gun off at an angle.. but I figure so long as it's done uniformly such that every detector is impacted equally and the sensitivity rankings are still the same as without the foam, then so what? Funky test configurations can lead to weird results like where you saw detectors get no alert to a gun in the trees and so I don't see it replacing traditional tests, I think the rankings should still be similar and we'll nevertheless learn helpful information thanks to the tests. If nothing else, they'll be more like supplemental tests than de facto go-to references.

To answer your question, there's no harm done and it helps get a better understanding of detection thresholds, when properly put forth. In this case, much like the stew test, it's a threshold test, not a traditional distance test. The lack of disclosure as to the intent and type of test being conducted left things muddled. More information is better than less, except when the information looks like one thing but it's actually another. Clarity is better than confusion.

Testers are the lifeblood around here. Their work matters as much as their words after the hard work of testing is done.

Last edited:

hiddencam

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That it was not a real world test and cops don't use Eccosorb

Didn't the use of Eccosorb have Michael B's blessing?

GTO_04

PointerCone

M3 Kng
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Didn't the use of Eccosorb have Michael B's blessing?

GTO_04
I used to have a ton of the stuff and GOL used it as well for separation. It definitely worked! You can use it on the detector like blinders on a horse OR on the Radar gun itself to limit the degrees it spreads. IF one thinks about it, putting the gun at 45degrees effectively has the same results in separating units from one another.

Remember, we at MWCTG used a radar absorbing mat on dark nights Miata too to see if we could make it stealth. It reduced capture distance but not by much at all.

BWX

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Forget radar detectors, I'm just going to cover my car in that foam

Last edited:

Choose Life

35.5 hater R3 Day One User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Probably the best separation test I've seen among detectors for distance and bands

This needs a bump

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggo