WOW! Waylens Horizon dashcam for the driving enthusiast

WaveJunkie

asleep in the faraday cage
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
I came across this new dash/actioncam today. It looks like a very high quality product. 1080p/60, 720p HFR & Slomo, Bluetooth BLE & Wifi, 260dpi oled display for preview and auto gauge use, Customizable overlays with realtime data from wireless OBD-II port. Wireless remote and much more. 10Hz GPS, 9-axis IMU (3-axis gyro, 3-axis accelerometer and a 3-axis magnetometer), Dual microphones for stereo audio and canceling background noise.

https://www.waylens.com/
https://shop.waylens.com/

review from ARStechnica.com
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/09/the-waylens-horizon-is-a-dashcam-for-the-driving-enthusiast/

camera-hero-vader.png camera_pitch_DOF.png suite_dark.png screenshot.png

ShortFuse

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
VERY cool. Didn't really think I wanted a dash cam but I may have to reconsider after seeing this.

DeerHunter

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Looks cool. The only functionality it's missing is lap timing. With that, it'd be a great (and relatively inexpensive) tool for track days. Without it, it's an expensive dash cam.

chakeubeam

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
GOOD GOD LOOK AT THAT "PRE-ORDER" PRICE!!!!!!!

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is that sample photo actually a stillframe from the dashcam? It looks like it's CG or shot on a DSLR. Amazing quality, longer shutter in the middle of the daytime, amazing dynamic range with shadow and highlight detail...

System

PSL ÷ 2
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It basically looks like if you combined Torque Pro & a dash cam.. Super overpriced in my opinion

LoveRenee

Radar/Lidar Addiction MD
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I liked it until I saw the price. I'll stick with what I already have.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Won Hunglo

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Price is not bad if it delivers. Remember, you can still pay 4k for some options out there and not get these features.

LoveRenee

Radar/Lidar Addiction MD
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Me, too!

chakeubeam

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Price is not bad if it delivers. Remember, you can still pay 4k for some options out there and not get these features.

You can pay for a Stinger even if an STIRO/V1/ALP combo offer more options for half the price... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So these guys were at SEMA and remembering this post, I was eager to check them out. Taking a look at their cameras in person, I was pretty impressed! Build quality is insane... it's made from metal and glass. It's gorgeous. Way better than the typical plastic you see with most dashcams, even GoPros. It has a bunch of sensors inside the camera plus an OBD-II plug that connects via BT, not to mention a wireless bluetooth button you can use to do things like start/stop recording remotely. It's certainly pricey at $500 ($450 right now for preorder), but if you want the ability to overlay a bunch of cool speed and performance info onto your video footage for track use, to show your pitch and roll when you go off-roading, or just to make your dashcam videos cooler in general (@GA Speed's videos come to mind), it looks to be a great option.

Here's an interview I did with one of the Waylens guys there as I was getting familiar with their system.

https://youtu.be/RW2WUMUd69Y

nhdriver

Advanced User
Reaction score
$449 pre order doesn't seem terrible considering the build and the functionality. I wonder how good the audio is on this? I would jump on it but just had to get my car fixed so maybe another time.

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
One thing that would bother me about this device is concerns about theft. Right now if someone walks off with my PapaGo the $100 hit wouldn't hurt that bad. But $500 would suck. Especially if they make off with a detector to two.

wirelessandy

It's a very exciting time
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for mine on preorder. I hope they fixed the wobbly mount I've seen in some videos.

ThreePedals6.2

Motor Head
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for mine on preorder. I hope they fixed the wobbly mount I've seen in some videos.

Thats the only reason im holding off right now, the video i have seen is shaky.. Thx for the video Vortex. ..
But the quality and information you get with this camera is great.. I just want to see more video and reviews before i jump..

wrxsti15

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Lets wait for Chinese to make some good copies... :D JK...
Probably next year there will be more choices and that will make price go lower...

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyRCode