Vortex's Stinger VIP Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

te37

Learning to Drive...secretly
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The pattern is disturbingly similar.....niche player brings to market a supposedly world-beating product at a premium price. Initial performance seems promising, but just a few bugs need to be worked out. The bugs don't get worked out. Manufacturer goes radio-silent. People who paid top dollar are left holding the bag. Rinse and repeat.
I wagered and purchased a VIP and feel like I lost :(

ololly1

PSL +5
Premium Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I wagered and purchased a VIP and feel like I lost :(

I have those feelings all the time, but I don't think you should experience it. From what I've read it is still a great system. It's not just there yet, but if it creates saves then I wouldn't be upset or feel like I lost :)

Edit: and congrats on a great system. The point is that if you could afford it, enjoy it :)

Last edited:

Radar Hunter

Banned
Banned User
General User
Reaction score
I know 1 thing! I will NOT be buying a Stinger with all the issues I've read and heard from others. I'll stick to my M3's stability.

mikedotd

Arrow Enthusiast
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I know 1 thing! I will NOT be buying a Stinger with all the issues I've read and heard from others. I'll stick to my M3's stability.

Yeah, I've tried to stay optimistic, but the VIP keeps gaining new issues while not addressing old ones, and I've lost my trust in the product in it's current state (v3.3.789UK). I don't understand how they think they can succeed without listening to customer feedback and fixing their product.

The flip side is the M3's while stable, just aren't suitable for K-band use anymore due to their lack of BSM filtering, and that's only going to get worse with time.

te37

Learning to Drive...secretly
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would say that the VIP hasn't let be caught with my pants down so thats good. The k band filtering is still good but the spot list does not work for me sometimes and the auto brightness doesn't work which kills me! Little feature but still its there so lets use it.

mikedotd

Arrow Enthusiast
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would say that the VIP hasn't let be caught with my pants down so thats good. The k band filtering is still good but the spot list does not work for me sometimes and the auto brightness doesn't work which kills me! Little feature but still its there so lets use it.

Are you in the US or Canada and see real K-band threats? Almost every time I encounter police K-band I see the VIP FalseList the signal for part of the duration. I'm just curious if others are seeing this too or if there's something about the units being used around me (pretty sure they're MPH units since I also see 33.8GHz in the same towns) that the VIP is rejecting.

KASHER1979

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You know it's extremely frustrating to hear these crazy problems with this unit and I don't even own it anymore! Wow.

If it were me the best advice I could give is sell everything Stinger you have do something different. Put it on eBay or CL. Try to get your money back. It's not worth the headache and worry considering the money you paid for it.

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
Are you in the US or Canada and see real K-band threats? Almost every time I encounter police K-band I see the VIP FalseList the signal for part of the duration. I'm just curious if others are seeing this too or if there's something about the units being used around me (pretty sure they're MPH units since I also see 33.8GHz in the same towns) that the VIP is rejecting.

We don't see a lot of k band, but mine has false listed LEOs in NC and Va.

KASHER1979

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I pointed out these problems in beginning. I regret honestly that I wasn't more vocal about all of this back when I had the unit. My problem was that since no one else seemed to be seeing these things back then I thought I had a lemon and just wanted rid of it at the time. I'm very thankful that Cliff took it back and refunded me for it. I feel bad for you guys that spent all the $$ on the units. Big disappointment. As I said I can't stress enough my advice to you to sell them off while you can and go another route.

fishing66

Lord of the Pies
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
It really bothers me to see guys having spent a ton of money on a Stinger and it is having these issues. Where is Cliff? Where is Stinger HQ? We have BRD and Hugel66 continuously on this board, listening to us, implementing fixes, upgrades and rolling out amazing hardware at a fraction of the price of a Stinger. My current vehicle is a lease so a remote unit isn't in the cards, but NetRadar + ALP looks to be all an enthusiast would ever need. A five-head ALP system, bluetooth, front and rear NetRadar antennas retails for $2500.00+-. A Stinger system with front-only radar head is $2790.00. An Stinger package with front and rear radar and laser heads is $6690.00.

[video=youtube;1ytCEuuW2_A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A[/video]

Last edited:

StealthPilot

Banned
Banned User
Premium Member
General User
Reaction score
I pointed out these problems in beginning. I regret honestly that I wasn't more vocal about all of this back when I had the unit. My problem was that since no one else seemed to be seeing these things back then I thought I had a lemon and just wanted rid of it at the time.

I think one of the challenges is that this board's initial reaction to someone criticizing a product is to leap to the defense of the vendor.

I have some concerns regarding Net Radar, but every time I bring something up I get attacked, so now I don't bother. This is why it often seems at first you are the only one experiencing something. This community needs to have more of a bias to accept the feedback, than to defend the vendor.

Last edited:

RadarScout

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Dude, get real. You need to grow up.

KASHER1979

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think one of the challenges is that this board's initial reaction to someone criticizing a product is to leap to the defense of the vendor.

I have some concerns regarding Net Radar, but every time I bring something up I get attacked, so now I don't bother. This is why it often seems at first you are the only one experiencing something. This community needs to have more of a bias to accept the feedback, than to defend the vendor.

I think you have misunderstood. Please respect the decisions of the staff here when things need moderating.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well in my case I think it was just that not many people had the unit yet. Vortex had also just gotten his unit so the facts weren't all out there at the time. A lot of my issues were regarding K band, and lock outs, falsing, and with the arrows etc. Vortex doesn't run K Band usually I don't believe and he was doing more pure range testing with it, so he didn't catch a lot of those either until later.

I ran with K band on most of the time. Every now and then down the line I would shut it off, but testing out the BSM filtering capabilities was one of the main things to do with the Stinger. I also did manual lockouts instead of auto, mostly because I was impatient. :D The detector looks amazing on paper and initial range testing was fantastic. It was once I started to spend a little more time with it and get into the details, as well as submitting feedback to Stinger and seeing what they did or didn't do about it, that things started to change. I was running beta firmware initially to help with development and improvements and so I couldn't talk about everything since it was beta. After a while though, I switched to public firmware so that I was free to share what all I was seeing and didn't have to say "yeah but it's beta."

KASHER1979

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I ran with K band on most of the time. Every now and then down the line I would shut it off, but testing out the BSM filtering capabilities was one of the main things to do with the Stinger. I also did manual lockouts instead of auto, mostly because I was impatient. :D The detector looks amazing on paper and initial range testing was fantastic. It was once I started to spend a little more time with it and get into the details, as well as submitting feedback to Stinger and seeing what they did or didn't do about it, that things started to change. I was running beta firmware initially to help with development and improvements and so I couldn't talk about everything since it was beta. After a while though, I switched to public firmware so that I was free to share what all I was seeing and didn't have to say "yeah but it's beta."
That makes sense.

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Your moderating abilities are proven to be fair and effective. You meant no harm in the thread that he was referring to. That was obviously misunderstood to be something it was not. Thank you for your hard work for RDF.

ThreePedals6.2

Motor Head
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
i recently was testing my Alp set-up on my vehicle with someone else running a full stinger set-up.. so the stinger laser was having issues and was getting IPT's (which we think was just issues with software), but after that we were doing some Radar testing and i was impressed with KA performance , i haven't read too much on the stinger issues but i was impressed on Ka band the range it had...he had Sensitivity on 1 i think and it was a good 2-3 seconds ahead of my redline.. But from everyone's reviews i just cant justify the price.. i mean close to 6k for front and rear radar and laser protection.. IT BETTER BE WORTH IT!

StealthPilot

Banned
Banned User
Premium Member
General User
Reaction score

I express my opinion and you insult me. How do you call that moderating?

If you view anyone who has a different point of view to you as not grown up then you have serious issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

I think you have misunderstood. Please respect the decisions of the staff here when things need moderating.

Thanks. This is a measured and adult way of communicating a different perspective to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

RadarScout

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I express my opinion and you insult me. How do you call that moderating?

If you view anyone who has a different point of view to you as not grown up then you have serious issues.

Reshape it any way you like. You know you did more than express an opinion
I've repeatedly asked you to let it go so there won't be any issues. Once again, I say to let it go.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So a quick update... I just got off the phone again with Stinger and they gave me the okay to share this. They've been hard at work over the past few months improving the VIP. I'd sent them a comprehensive list of the different issues I was seeing and changes I'd like to be made and they're working on the top priority and most important items on their list, from my list, and from the lists of other users.

The BSM filter is being completely rewritten from scratch. The current K band filter is actually pretty old. It came from the DSI and was progressively added onto as new BSM cars started coming out. That filter was growing overly complicated on their end and they decided the best solution was to start all over again and apparently things are working much much better now with the fresh new code. It's not completely 100% yet, but I've been hearing great things from them and from some other beta testers so I'm really optimistic about it.

The next firmware update (4.0) should include a big update to the BSM filtering.

Some other things like arrows and laser will be addressed in a future update beyond that. Some things, like arrows, are affected by the way the K filters work so they're having to redo a lot of that as well.

I'd asked them about why there's not dedicated front and rear ports for the front and rear antennas. He explained that that feature was originally designed for overseas to allow for a variety of different antenna configurations. For example, not everyone would do the two antennas for front and rear. Some would want a normally oriented front facing antenna and a second front facing antenna that was rotated a bit to handle radar sources with different types of polarization. Not having dedicated "front" and "rear" ports was to allow for those additional configuration options. I'm sure that could be adjusted as well in software to make sure we don't have any accidental front/rear switching and so on. We also talked about the possibility of attenuating the rear antenna for low power sources like the MRCD since it's the front antenna that does the majority of the work there (unlike in Europe) despite the fact that the MRCD's in Edmonton are designed to shoot the rear of the vehicle. This would help alleviate the issue of picking the alert up with the rear antenna for so long after you pass the source.

We talked about the best way of implementing a manual JTK on laser. For example, one side of the screen could be a manual JTK and the other side could be to add to false list. I asked about the possibility of having almost the whole screen being a manual JTK and add to false list being a small button. Different options. Even things like that they're addressing and it's good to hear some discussion on different ways of doing things.

So good stuff coming across the board. They offered to send me another VIP again. I'd declined originally (after originally posting this review) because I really wanted to see something done about the issues I was seeing first and honestly it's been a big relief to not have the Stinger in my car. That said, after talking with them, hearing about what they're doing on their end, how they're approaching things, and most importantly the improvements that they're making in software, I'm excited about the VIP again and so I'll resume testing things out.

It'll take some time to get everything sorted out of course, but I'm glad to hear about how things are going so far. Ultimately it'll all depend on how work out in practice for people running public firmware, but I'm excited to see how things are going and I'm looking forward to hearing other people's impressions too when the next firmware update is released.

KASHER1979

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Good luck with that Vortex. I wouldn't hold my breath. Did you talk to the factory or USA?

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Well sorry to sound so negative. I hope it gets fixed. I really do. I will probably never be owning one again but for the sake of those that have it in their car already I hope it's fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjmackay