Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Very nice! Glad to see more manufacturers jamming this gun!

btw, if you turn the viewfinder brightness down in the Compact's settings, it'll get rid of that red blob and make it more useable at night. :)

You mentioned you added a third head. How much have you noticed that help? Does it basically solve some CM PT's?

mrkookm

Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for the Tip!

Yes, the 3rd was to secure the CM after having to widen the original 2 to secure HL's. The 3rd made a huge improvement as it really tightened up the front. The next release should add even more performance across the board and looking forward to that.

shifter

PSL +20
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
they really need to release the laser on its own.

Why?

The whole point of their system is everything fully integrated.

Anyway they have what's been shown to be the best RD in the world by far.

So why would anyone buy the laser from them and not want the best RD?

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, the 3rd was to secure the CM after having to widen the original 2 to secure HL's. The 3rd made a huge improvement as it really tightened up the front. The next release should add even more performance across the board and looking forward to that.

How does it work with the Stinger lasers? I know they have separate transmitters/receivers. Did you add a 3rd of both or are you running a combination of 3/2 up front?

Edit: Sorry, I just reread your OP and saw you said you went 3/3.

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
How does it work with the Stinger lasers? I know they have separate transmitters/receivers. Did you add a 3rd of both or are you running a combination of 3/2 up front?

3 transmitters + 2 receivers is already the default configuration that Stinger will give you (and it's also the free replacement for the 2T/2R system they originally sold USA customers). But as [MENTION=164]mirage[/MENTION] and [MENTION=14]mrkookm[/MENTION] both showed, you can find little gaps in coverage against DET with the 2 receiver setup. It's a trade off that Stinger stands behind and a different approach/mentality than ALP it seems. But at any rate, basically the way that LIDAR works is, on top of the boxes you had for radar (the Extension Boxes), one port of the EB connects to a "Laser Analyzer Box" on each side of the car. That box contains the jamming CPU, as well as 8 ports: 4 transmit and 4 receive ports. So basically are buying a laser jammer on each side of your car, and they communicate with the central computer box and use it as the display / firmware loader / configuration tool. But it's otherwise very similar to the folks who run a dual ALP system to provide more than 2 rear heads.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
because there are some of us who would just want the laser protection.
Welcome to the world of bundling. They want to force you to buy their RD in order to have their laser package. Given that their RD is the best there is, I can't see what your complaint is. If someone later tops their RD, then I could see this becoming an issue, but it's not an issue now. The laser system IS at least modular, which is good, because LJ technology evolves much faster than RD technology. I would envision that as the laser jamming technology evolves, you'll be able to plug a new box into the old Extension Box. But if you want a standalone product, why not just get an ALP?

3 transmitters + 2 receivers is already the default configuration that Stinger will give you (and it's also the free replacement for the 2T/2R system they originally sold USA customers). But as @mirage and @mrkookm both showed, you can find little gaps in coverage against DET with the 2 receiver setup. It's a trade off that Stinger stands behind and a different approach/mentality than ALP it seems. But at any rate, basically the way that LIDAR works is, on top of the boxes you had for radar (the Extension Boxes), one port of the EB connects to a "Laser Analyzer Box" on each side of the car. That box contains the jamming CPU, as well as 8 ports: 4 transmit and 4 receive ports. So basically are buying a laser jammer on each side of your car, and they communicate with the central computer box and use it as the display / firmware loader / configuration tool. But it's otherwise very similar to the folks who run a dual ALP system to provide more than 2 rear heads.
I think this is going to be the future for laser jamming. It's clear that there's a huge benefit to putting receivers all over the front of the car (perhaps near each headlight, near the license plate, on both ends of the bumper, even on top of the windshield, etc, while there is much less of a benefit (and much less of a need) to put transmitters all over the place. Plus the smaller receive heads are easier to hide and look nicer than ALP heads; the tradeoff is that according to [MENTION=164]mirage[/MENTION], they aren't as sensitive as ALP heads, so you need more of them to do the job.

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Plus the smaller receive heads are easier to hide and look nicer than ALP heads; the tradeoff is that according to [MENTION=164]mirage[/MENTION], they aren't as sensitive as ALP heads, so you need more of them to do the job.

There's supposed to be technical advantages to using these types of receivers and the lower sensitivity is intentional, from what I understand. It's supposed to be less susceptible to some of the issues that give certain ALP scenarios some trouble. And let's just say that at this access level :)

lugnuts

PSL lol
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of bundling. They want to force you to buy their RD in order to have their laser package. Given that their RD is the best there is, I can't see what your complaint is. If someone later tops their RD, then I could see this becoming an issue, but it's not an issue now. The laser system IS at least modular, which is good, because LJ technology evolves much faster than RD technology. I would envision that as the laser jamming technology evolves, you'll be able to plug a new box into the old Extension Box. But if you want a standalone product, why not just get an ALP?

I don't see the point of spending $5k for an RD that is only slightly better then what I have now. I like the fiber idea of the Stinger jammers better then the larger ALP and LI heads. the cost of the laser is comparable to the ALPs making it a viable competitor unlike the RD.

Last edited:

shifter

PSL +20
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I don't see the point of spending $5k for an RD that is only slightly better then what I have now.

"slightly" is the understatement of the year.

but I don't get the logic.

you don't see the value in paying to upgrade your RD to one that's light-years better,

but you do want to spend thousands to change your jammers

even though the ALPs work flawlessly against all guns

and so there's no actual advantage over the ALPs at this point other than some concealability?

lugnuts

PSL lol
Advanced User
Reaction score
"slightly" is the understatement of the year.

but I don't get the logic.

you don't see the value in paying to upgrade your RD to one that's light-years better,

but you do want to spend thousands to change your jammers

even though the ALPs work flawlessly against all guns

and so there's no actual advantage over the ALPs at this point other than some concealability?

jammers are illegal in my state, I like the stealthness of the Stinger.

and lightyears? the only frequency the Stinger was significantly ahead of the others was 35.5 in all the other it was slightly better then a redline in Vortex's review. if it was miles better I would agree with you but it wasn't.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
jammers are illegal in my state, I like the stealthness of the Stinger.

and lightyears? the only frequency the Stinger was significantly ahead of the others was 35.5 in all the other it was slightly better then a redline in Vortex's review. if it was miles better I would agree with you but it wasn't.
Um...it's not JUST about sensitivity, it's also about ability to reduce false alarms. Do you live in a state that uses K or X band? I think myself, jdong, and OpenRoad are some of the few who really don't have to worry about false alarm reduction (and of us, even jdong has a Stinger).

shifter

PSL +20
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Alright well to each his own.

However they can't run the jammers without the RD system as the jammers are just an add-on to the computer and display that runs the RD.

That's the reason that the price is comparable to the ALP since the only thing you're buying is the heads really.

mirage

RALETC MEMBER
Advanced User
Reaction score
There's supposed to be technical advantages to using these types of receivers and the lower sensitivity is intentional, from what I understand. It's supposed to be less susceptible to some of the issues that give certain ALP scenarios some trouble. And let's just say that at this access level :)

The sensitivity issues affect both systems in different ways (ALP and Stinger); however they are both troubleshooting the same problem in a different way. As [MENTION=4117]jdong[/MENTION] has indicated let's just keep it to that at this access level.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McSleepy