Added a switch for my Stinger VIP

mrkookm

Advanced User
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this for the longest but never got around to do it. Currently there's no simple click of a switch solution to JTK in the event I need to perform that action, so after giving it some thought I figured I use an LI switch for the task.

After selling off my LI I no longer had a switch to reuse for this addition. I reached out to Cliff and he got me out to me promptly. Completed the basic wiring today and it works like a charm! Now I feel better knowing JTK is just a click away :)

As far as connections goes there are 3 wires on the Switch, Red, Grey & Green. Red on the switch connects to 12volt car source, Grey connects to Stinger Red, switch Green connects to car ground and Stinger Black also connects to car ground.

BDE84EA5-F2A9-4294-AC83-0A3111F8DEB8_zpsfohe5dz0.jpg

D79D3399-BA76-473A-A087-C6978678F945_zps6pxjun2y.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited:

shifter

PSL +20
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have a kill switch on my Stinger as well.

Simple install and you can get the switches on Amazon.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
For > $5000, they really need to come up with a more elegant way to JTK. Rebooting the entire RD would cause you to miss distant I/O radar shots warning of some new danger ahead.

mrkookm

Advanced User
Reaction score
For > $5000, they really need to come up with a more elegant way to JTK. Rebooting the entire RD would cause you to miss distant I/O radar shots warning of some new danger ahead.

That will come in time, but for now this will suffice . It really isn't that serious.

I'm not sure how many times you've been hit with laser, but I've been hit numerous times over the years. One thing I do know it's that even at 30-40 seconds boot up, I'm still getting over my oh shit moment :) Definitely not worried about speeding since my eyes will be trained of the RV mirror wondering if's he's gonna pull out for the next minute!

Sent from Tapatalk

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

That will come in time, but for now this will suffice . It really isn't that serious.

I'm not sure how many times you've been hit with laser, but I've been hit numerous times over the years. One thing I do know it's that even at 30-40 seconds boot up, I'm still getting over my oh $#@! moment :) Definitely not worried about speeding since my eyes will be trained of the RV mirror wondering if's he's gonna pull out for the next minute!

Sent from Tapatalk

I agree with both of you. It's not hard for Stinger to add a JTK button (or even a KBJ button) on the touchscreen, and I'm sure one day they will. But this doesn't seem like a dealbreaker for the time being.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

I'm not sure how many times you've been hit with laser, but I've been hit numerous times over the years. One thing I do know it's that even at 30-40 seconds boot up, I'm still getting over my oh $#@! moment :) Definitely not worried about speeding since my eyes will be trained of the RV mirror wondering if's he's gonna pull out for the next minute!
Yeah but what about 3 minutes later? Sometimes, you only get one warning.

[video=youtube;mxF4rU6o4GI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxF4rU6o4GI[/video]

mrkookm

Advanced User
Reaction score
When I experience an encounter it's a matter of turning off for the brief duration It takes to pass the Leo then back to on. No different from any other jammer system other than maybe and additional 35sec. During this time I'm not thinking of going fast so I'll be fine, therefore if was never an issue in the past it's no different now.

Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited:

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
When I experience an encounter it's a matter of turning off for the brief duration It takes to pass the Leo then back to on. No different from any other jammer system other than maybe and additional 35sec. During this time I'm not thinking of going fast so I'll be fine, therefore if was never an issue in the past it's no different now.
It's a HUGE difference when you're running your radar and lidar protection in one system. If you had a separate jammer and radar detector, you'd have switched off the jammer but the radar detector would have gone on working. That's why I don't kill my ALPs with a switch but use the control pad instead (I have the STiR+ integrated into the ALP system). It's a low probability that you'd catch a I/O shot in that 35 seconds, but it still increases your chances of getting I/Owned.

KASHER1979

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's a HUGE difference when you're running your radar and lidar protection in one system. If you had a separate jammer and radar detector, you'd have switched off the jammer but the radar detector would have gone on working. That's why I don't kill my ALPs with a switch but use the control pad instead (I have the STiR+ integrated into the ALP system). It's a low probability that you'd catch a I/O shot in that 35 seconds, but it still increases your chances of getting I/Owned.

Thing is it's extremely easy to do what Kook did. You can get a switch at Radio Shack for basically nothing. Wire it up and done. Switches are so cheap I bet Cliff woudl just send you the 1 or 2 bucks to buy it if it was that big a deal . lol

I have a kill switch for everything in my car and love it.

mrkookm

Advanced User
Reaction score

STS it is NOT that serious. I've been doing this a LONG time man, this ain't nothing new to me bra. Trust when I tell you this is NOT an issue.

Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited:

Clubguy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I missed something in the video. When you said, "Crap, I forgot to label him. Sorry Francky," what did you mean?

mrkookm

Advanced User
Reaction score
I missed something in the video. When you said, "Crap, I forgot to label him. Sorry Francky," what did you mean?

It's a V1 + YaV1 thing I believe.

Sent from Tapatalk

Clubguy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes I know that. ..I have the same setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you have the data collection option enabled, you can give YaV1 more info about the encounter (real or false alert? moving or stationary source?) then upload those enhanced logs to Francky to help him develop his artificial intelligence for YaV1.

The signal went away before HC could mark it so he wasn't able to log it.

Francky made a change later on to allow users to mark signals afterwards by going into their history and marking signals that way so this is no longer an issue.

fishing66

Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah but what about 3 minutes later? Sometimes, you only get one warning.

[video=youtube;mxF4rU6o4GI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxF4rU6o4GI[/video]

That was one hell of a detection by the V1

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pflaugh