Stinger VIP Laser Fiber Questions

dmlgc

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Stinger VIP Laser Fiber location Question

This picture shows the recommendations from Cliff on the possible placement for my Antenna and for the laser receivers and transmitters.
So is there a minimum distance the receiver and transmitter need to be separated from each other ?
In the picture I have added a new orange rectangle as a possible location for the fiber transmitter , curious if you think that would be better than yellow location?

Update:I am still experimenting with the radar antenna location, it is the lasers that I am wondering about.

Thanks
Dennis

stinger config.jpg

Last edited:

KASHER1979

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Re: Stinger VIP Laser Fiber location Question

This picture shows the recommendations from Cliff on the possible placement for my Antenna and for the laser receivers and transmitters.
So is there a minimum distance the receiver and transmitter need to be separated from each other ?
In the picture I have added a new orange rectangle as a possible location for the fiber transmitter , curious if you think that would be better than yellow location?

Thanks
Dennis

View attachment 38363

looks good if it were me I would mount the radar antenna behind rear view mirror though. You'll get better range.

dmlgc

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Actually that is one place I hadn't thought of trying, will have to investigate if I can get it behind mirror.

thanks

Stinger

Stinger US/Canadian Distributor
Premium Member
General User
Reaction score

The HD antenna should be mounted in Portrait orientation for optimum performance so 2, 3 or 4.

As the the laser receivers and transmitters, they should be separated by a few inches either vertically, horizontally or diagonally with the transmitters next to or directly under/over each HL and the receivers mounted half-way between the midline of the vehicle and each headlight. I prefer the orange locations for the fibers with the third transmitting fiber in the #1 position where you indicted the HD location. The location for the receivers can be moved inwards towards the midline of the SUV one more grill slot each.

Cliff

KASHER1979

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Actually that is one place I hadn't thought of trying, will have to investigate if I can get it behind mirror.

thanks

You can probably get it to work and it'll be somewhat hidden there and safe out of the elements.

To be honest I see absolutely no reason to put the antenna down in the Grille unless your worried about hiding it. Even then the best part is it just looks like some other kind of electronic device. No one would think of it as a radar detector not even the police and it blends right in great with a black mirror especially.

If you put an M3 down in the grille it suffers reduction in range. So will the Stinger. I always mounted my M3s on the roof or in the cabin for best performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmlgc

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Thanks Cliff I will go with the new laser locations.
You are correct (you knew that) about the Antenna location , I tried it mounted temporarily horizontally center grill and then portrait down in bottom grill at #3 and it performed better in the lower location with portrait orientation.

KASHER1979

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Something else I'd like to share is I actually moved my antenna last night down right in the middle of my WS rather than over to the left side. So now it's directly behind the mirror and in the middle. Since doing this it seems it is performing possibly better. I picked up a quick 34.7 reflection today and I thought it was a false but when I got down the road a loooong way I saw KSP sitting at a fire station. Couldn't help but wonder if that was it.

Nevertheless my other encounters have seemed even better since it went directly in the middle.

I'll try to put up a pic later.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Thanks Cliff I will go with the new laser locations.
You are correct (you knew that) about the Antenna location , I tried it mounted temporarily horizontally center grill and then portrait down in bottom grill at #3 and it performed better in the lower location with portrait orientation.

Make sure your wire is on the bottom side of your HD antenna of mounting outside to avoid moisture intrusion.

kjoy064

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Personally i'd recommend the HD at location #3, RX Units where the yellow TX units are in the grill, Fiber units in the gab between headlight washes and headlights and a non-fiber at location #1

dmlgc

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
OK took Cliff's suggestion and moved antenna from old position (Landscape blue) drivers side in center grill, to center lower grill (portrait red).
Haven't notice much difference with K band (drones) range seems about the same will have to see with KA.

IMG_0426a.jpg

Stinger

Premium Member
General User
Reaction score
Looks good. Hard to tell (my bad eyes or poor quality screen) but is the antenna in front of the honeycomb grill (preferred) and not behind it (not recommended)?

Cliff

Last edited:

dmlgc

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It's in front of it, iPhone picture quality not that great.

Stinger

Premium Member
General User
Reaction score

Harold

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It's in front of it

Have you got something in front of the antenna? On my BMW I cut the grill and put the antenna in the grill and covered it with a plastic cover. Otherwise you're antenna can be damaged (by stones).

dmlgc

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
No it is exposed, Cliff and some others have told me the antenna is tough and can handle getting hit by stones,etc.

Stinger

Premium Member
General User
Reaction score
Have you got something in front of the antenna? On my BMW I cut the grill and put the antenna in the grill and covered it with a plastic cover. Otherwise you're antenna can be damaged (by stones).

Not likely. For nearly 3 years, I've had 2 vehicles with HD antennas mounted as shown in the front just like the OP and have not had any issues with damage.

Cliff

Stinger

Premium Member
General User
Reaction score
Maybe better save than sorry :)

Might as well not drive the car then and be completely safe. :)

Seriously, the HD is very resilient. Even after being run over by a car at 75 MPH, this HD did amazingly well.

Cliff

IMG_0738.jpeg IMG_0739.jpeg IMG_0737.jpeg

Last edited:

dmlgc

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
mrkookm,
did you attach the receiver(s) to the brackets with hot glue also ?

mrkookm

Advanced User
Reaction score
mrkookm,
did you attach the receiver(s) to the brackets with hot glue also ?

I've used 3m VHB as well as hot glue to install the receivers directly on my car.

Sent from Tapatalk

dmlgc

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've used 3m VHB as well as hot glue to install the receivers directly on my car.

Sent from Tapatalk

Ok thanks I will try some combo of these.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pflaugh