Has anyone else used "off road only" E0 in their car?

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Huh? Higher octane fuel burns slower and has less energy per gallon than low octane fuel. Because it resists predetonation more than low octane fuel, it is typically used in high compression ratio engines that generate more power per turn of the crank compared to their displacement by virtue of having the higher compression ratio.

The theory, at least, is that due to the thinner air, gasoline is less likely to predetonate when compressed at high altitudes, so you can get away with a lower octane rating. Just don't try it in a turbocharged engine, because turbos are very efficient at producing a similar manifold absolute pressure as at sea level when you're up at altitude, which would result in knocking.

Yeah... sorry meant burns faster... not slower... which is why I thought econ would go down... but this wasn't the case in the mountains... I always thought higher octane meant more energy... but clearly I am wrong...

Last edited:

ahl395

PSL?
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've never tried it in my car, or heard of it really. Pretty much all stations I know of in my area have Ethanol in the fuel. However from what I've been told, Premium gas has no ethanol in it, is this correct?

UsernameGoesHere

Banned
Banned User
General User
Reaction score
I've never tried it in my car, or heard of it really. Pretty much all stations I know of in my area have Ethanol in the fuel. However from what I've been told, Premium gas has no ethanol in it, is this correct?

Not unless there's a sticker on the pump that says something like non-oxygenated.

hussein

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score

I have an ethanol content analyzer in my return fuel line. I always fill up with 93 (or 91 if I have no other choice) and I have never seen it go less than 7% or more than 11%. Most of the time it is 9 or 10%.

EB1911

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Local farm store has it and there's no issue using it in a road vehicle here in GA unfortunately it's an extra $1 a gallon which more than negates the gain in fuel mileage. I do use it for any small engines I have to prevent damage if they sit for any period of time. I'll be glad if we can ever cut big corn off the gov't subsidy teet that's continuing this farce of helping the environment.

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Local farm store has it and there's no issue using it in a road vehicle here in GA unfortunately it's an extra $1 a gallon which more than negates the gain in fuel mileage. I do use it for any small engines I have to prevent damage if they sit for any period of time. I'll be glad if we can ever cut big corn off the gov't subsidy teet that's continuing this farce of helping the environment.

Well said!

When I switched to E0 in my 5.7L Hemi (Charger R/T)i got 2-3 MPG extra and it seemed to have a bit extra zip. Now I have a Scat Pack with the 6.4L (392) Hemi. It requires 91 octane premium which the E0 meets. The 392 seems to run equally great on E0 or Marathon 93. MPG is very close between the two though I don't have a lot of experience with the Marathon 93 yet.

GTO_04

Edwv30

Advanced User
Reaction score

UsernameGoesHere

Banned
Banned User
General User
Reaction score
I've seen that several times on my recommended videos, but I'm pretty sure I know enough that that video won't be telling me anything I don't already know. Probably a 20 minute long "unless your car recommends it, you don't need premium" if I had to guess.

Edwv30

Advanced User
Reaction score
I've seen that several times on my recommended videos, but I'm pretty sure I know enough that that video won't be telling me anything I don't already know. Probably a 20 minute long "unless your car recommends it, you don't need premium" if I had to guess.

There is so much more to it than that. This video has it all...a hot yoga instructor wearing tights, midget tossing and Canadians behaving badly! You really should watch it!

hammerdown

The North remembers....
Advanced User
Reaction score
Tons of ethanol free 100% gas stations around OK.... I never run that e10 crap in my cars...

Deft

Daft
Intermediate User
Reaction score
We've got one station selling 91 alky free, I get it sometimes in my turbo car just because I run that car's injectors on the ragged edge of 100% duty cycle. Wish I could get 93 here, I get a few counts of knock in my logs with 91. It's mostly sold here as atv/snowmobile/mower gas since carbd small motors tend to gunk up with normal pumpgas if you let it sit all winter/summer.

The e10 is mostly for emissions and corn subsidies. Ethanol is not only a fuel but an oxidizer and can reduce NOx emissions under high load/EGT, so this is all for LA, NYC, and Nebraska farmers...

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BloodGang92