Has anyone else used "off road only" E0 in their car?

UsernameGoesHere

Banned
Banned User
General User
Reaction score
I put some in this morning and I'm getting significantly better MPG now. Somehow I doubt police care enough to stick a dipstick thing in my tank to check for dye, assuming there even is a dye to it. There was a disclaimer that said to use it in vintage cars, boats, small engines, etc, and I laughed at it while I was filling my car with non-corn-puke-diluted gasoline.

Will be making quite an effort to find E0 now. +5mpg, which is what it seems to have improved by, over a full tank gets me almost an extra hundred miles.

Ethanol can GTFO, it has its uses but not in cars that are designed for E0 and merely compatible with E10.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Advanced User
Reaction score
There is ethanol-free gasoline out there, just hard to find :( Some people claim they chase around to the local airport or even the marinas for the un-tainted gas.

http://pure-gas.org/

UsernameGoesHere

Banned
Banned User
General User
Reaction score
  • Banned
I have a theory that they use cheapshit gas in the E10 blends too because the ethanol should significantly raise the octane rating, which means if you took the ethanol out it would probably have an octane rating of like 84 or 85. Ethanol = very cheap octane boost = more income for the poor gas stations that are barely scraping by.

:roflcopter:

LukePerry085

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ethanol = very cheap octane boost = more income for the poor gas stations that are barely scraping by.

Generally speaking, the gas stations don't make jack off of fuel purchases anymore. Any proceeds from poor fuel are benefiting the oil companies, not the retailers.

UsernameGoesHere

Banned
Banned User
General User
Reaction score
  • Banned
Well someone is screwing consumers over, doesn't really matter to me if it's the gas station, oil company, or Grandma Jones down the street.

hussein

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In my day I worked at a gas for a few years. Margin on regular was on average 10 cents a liter. It was a bit more for premium but I don't remember the average. High turn over, low margin.

Selling things in the store, like sun glasses and fancy lighters, have a higher margin ($5-15) but turn over is slower than fuel.

And on the other side of E0... I love running my E85 map. Not only is the fuel cheap, I get >50 HP and TQ.

Hahns52

Ass Möde
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've never bothered with ethanol free in my truck because the nearest station is way out of my way and it's really expensive (I doubt the mileage would increase enough to cover the difference). I don't like E10, but what can ya do. I do use it in my motorcycle though because 2 strokes prefer ethanol free and I'm already mixing it with ridiculously expensive 110octane race gas, so why not.

PointerCone

M3 Kng
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
There is ethanol-free gasoline out there, just hard to find :( Some people claim they chase around to the local airport or even the marinas for the un-tainted gas.

http://pure-gas.org/

Unless you got to AK, chances are its going to have at least E10. In our area, they can't use sell anything other than E10 or higher in the Chicago area and surrounding collar counties since we are under an EPA mandate.

Miker

Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
The only E0 gas available in my area is Premium 91 Octane, along with a premium price (currently $3.30/gal.). Too expensive for automotive use (to me, anyway), but I'll splurge for it when I mix a gallon or two for my 2-stroke power equipment.

poop

Paging Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Most of the gas in my area is ethanol-free. The only places I can get 94 octane locally are pumping E10.

voyager7

No speed limit
Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have not seen pure gas in years.

Why would E0 be off road use only?

Last edited:

voyager7

No speed limit
Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of E0 in Hawaii but around here, I'd have to drive so far to get it, the tank would be at least 2/3 empty by the time I got back home. I'd use it if I could because corn based ethanol is a really dumb product. It's 7 times less energy efficient to create than sugarcane based ethanol so if we're going to use ethanol, we should be getting it from sugarcane. And it contains 1/3 less energy per unit volume than gasoline, which means more trips to the gas station, and more overhead associated with getting to the station.

Last edited:

UsernameGoesHere

Banned
Banned User
General User
Reaction score
2/3 empty? Hawaii? What do you drive a modified cummins with max payload and towing 24/7?

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
2/3 empty? Hawaii? What do you drive a modified cummins with max payload and towing 24/7?

I've seen plenty of E0 in Hawaii but around here, I'd have to drive so far to get it, the tank would be at least 2/3 empty by the time I got back home.
"around here" refers to the SF Bay Area in California.

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Unless you got to AK, chances are its going to have at least E10. In our area, they can't use sell anything other than E10 or higher in the Chicago area and surrounding collar counties since we are under an EPA mandate.

****ing gay too...

Damn emissions...

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Also why when I was in the mountains grabbing 85 octane... would I get better MPG's? This was in a Chrysler 200... instead of 29-30 mpg (87 oct from the plains) I would get 37-38 MPG in the mountains mind you thrashing it to get up the hills.

Burns slower sure but I would just expect more knock... and less econ...

Last edited:

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
$#@!ing gay too...

Damn emissions...

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Also why when I was in the mountains grabbing 85 octane... would I get better MPG's? This was in a Chrysler 200... instead of 29-30 mpg (87 oct from the plains) I would get 37-38 MPG in the mountains mind you thrashing it to get up the hills.

Burns slower sure but I would just expect more knock... and less econ...
Huh? Higher octane fuel burns slower and has less energy per gallon than low octane fuel. Because it resists predetonation more than low octane fuel, it is typically used in high compression ratio engines that generate more power per turn of the crank compared to their displacement by virtue of having the higher compression ratio.

The theory, at least, is that due to the thinner air, gasoline is less likely to predetonate when compressed at high altitudes, so you can get away with a lower octane rating. Just don't try it in a turbocharged engine, because turbos are very efficient at producing a similar manifold absolute pressure as at sea level when you're up at altitude, which would result in knocking.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YepItsAHoopty