Waze alerts via dialing cell phone

fly964

Learning to Drive
Premium Member
General User
Reaction score
Is it normal for Waze to only alert me by dialing my cell phone. For example, after I get any new Waze alert, I get the voice response "phone call completed" through my cars Bluetooth. TIA.

mikedotd

Arrow Enthusiast
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've never experienced that, so I'm going to say it's unusual. Most likely it's an issue with the way your phone is paired with your car, and the way the car handles bluetooth. What kind of car/headunit and phone do you have?

kpatz

35.5, 35.5, and more 35.5
Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your car's Bluetooth implementation treats the Waze alerts as if they're phone calls, and after the alert finishes, the stream ends, and the Bluetooth system gives that message since it thinks you were just on a quick phone call and not a Waze alert.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it's actually placing calls on your phone (doesn't sound like it is though).

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My Cruze does this with Google maps... unlike the other Cruze with mylink...

fly964

Learning to Drive
Premium Member
General User
Reaction score
My concern I will be using Waze in overseas, so it will not be able to dial my US phone number. Does Waze work if there is no phone connection? I prefer it going through the car speakers, not the iPhone speaker, as its easier for me to hear with navigation and alerts.

I've never experienced that, so I'm going to say it's unusual. Most likely it's an issue with the way your phone is paired with your car, and the way the car handles bluetooth. What kind of car/headunit and phone do you have?

Car is a Porsche and Volvo with Bluetooth, and I use the iPhone 6.

Thank you.

CobawLT2010

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My concern I will be using Waze in overseas, so it will not be able to dial my US phone number. Does Waze work if there is no phone connection? I prefer it going through the car speakers, not the iPhone speaker, as its easier for me to hear with navigation and alerts.

Car is a Porsche and Volvo with Bluetooth, and I use the iPhone 6.

Thank you.

It's using BT to communicate in my instance... it does not dial the actual number... I'd imagine yours is not as well...

kpatz

35.5, 35.5, and more 35.5
Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
You need a data connection to use Waze, but it doesn't use the phone function at all.

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is normal if Waze is routed via the HFP (Hands Free Profile) to your car, as opposed to A2DP streaming music. This can be controlled by a combination of Waze settings and your phone's settings. Some people prefer one over the other, depending on the circumstances. If you stream BT music, you'll probably prefer A2DP audio. If you listen to the radio but your phone is connected via A2DP, you'll probably want either HFP or speakers to duck out the audio and make sure that you hear your alerts, because otherwise the alerts will be delivered over A2DP and not play on any speakers...

CobawLT2010

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is normal if Waze is routed via the HFP (Hands Free Profile) to your car, as opposed to A2DP streaming music. This can be controlled by a combination of Waze settings and your phone's settings. Some people prefer one over the other, depending on the circumstances. If you stream BT music, you'll probably prefer A2DP audio. If you listen to the radio but your phone is connected via A2DP, you'll probably want either HFP or speakers to duck out the audio and make sure that you hear your alerts, because otherwise the alerts will be delivered over A2DP and not play on any speakers...

Or your car is antiquated like mine and doesn't support A2DP streaming... ;)

fly964

Learning to Drive
Premium Member
General User
Reaction score
You need a data connection to use Waze, but it doesn't use the phone function at all.

So, if using Waze overseas, I need to have a phone data plan working for those countries?

Thank you all for the responses. Much appreciated.

CobawLT2010

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So, if using Waze overseas, I need to have a phone data plan working for those countries?

Thank you all for the responses. Much appreciated.

Yup... it pulls maps and the police reports from the interwebs...

fishing66

Lord of the Pies
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
It would be a dream if we could drive along, have the phone ring and upon answering, we hear, "WATCH OUT! VEHICLE STOPPED ON SHOULDER AHEAD!"

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Localmauythai