Stinger Radar & *new* Laser Installation Manuals (updated 2015)`

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Hey everyone, hot off the presses are Stinger's new installation manuals, depicting the new laser analyzer setup:

Stinger RADAR Manual 4.0:

View attachment 36576

Stinger LASER manual 4.1:

View attachment 36577
So the new Laser Sensors are not the Fiber sensors they were testing in Arizona? The new manual shows lipstick transmitters and receivers?

Last edited:

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
So the new Laser Sensors are not the Fiber sensors they were testing in Arizona?
They are either or. The "base model" will be the transmitter squares, while for an additional $100/sensor you can upgrade to fibers. Stinger said that both perform similarly, the fibers are preferred if you want a more stealthy install.

PointerCone

M3 Kng
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
They are either or. The "base model" will be the transmitter squares, while for an additional $100/sensor you can upgrade to fibers. Stinger said that both perform similarly, the fibers are preferred if you want a more stealthy install.
Oh, I would definitely get the "fibers" regardless if in banned area or not. I couldn't see from the photos that Mirage had taken the fibers on the C300 and the install was very stealthy. I take it the fibers are "sensor" ONLY and not transmitters. How about the ones for the hood that the C300 had. They look like wiper nozzles. Are they available too?

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh, I would definitely get the "fibers" regardless if in banned area or not. I couldn't see from the photos that Mirage had taken the fibers on the C300 and the install was very stealthy. I take it the fibers are "sensor" ONLY and not transmitters. How about the ones for the hood that the C300 had. They look like wiper nozzles. Are they available too?
The fibers are only transmitters. The receivers are still squares. So really what you're choosing between is whether you want 2 squares (+3 fibers) or 5 squares for a 3T/2R setup. And it's really a lot easier to make 2 squares look innocent on the front of the car and less easy to make 5 squares look like they belong.

The ones on the hood of the C300 are just standard Laser Fibers hidden in fake plastic windshield washer nozzles (like the kind you buy for cheap from an auto parts store). Call it a decoy — nothing too magical and you / your installer can come up with a million cute and clever ways of hiding those transmitters too :)

Last edited:

mrkookm

Advanced User
Reaction score
So the new Laser Sensors are not the Fiber sensors they were testing in Arizona? The new manual shows lipstick transmitters and receivers?
I know jdong already answered the question, but I also wanted to further confirm that the fibers that were tested in Arizona and that did very well from a stealth and performance standpoint will be available for an additional $100 as explained. Also, the standard receiver transmitter hardware are correctly referred to as laser squares aka Laser HD and is not a 'Lipstick' design as you referred to. The reason for me clarifying the distinction between the Two is based on the fact that there is such a thing as a 'Lipstick' style transmitter / receiver which is based on old tech, but it's in the US due to the VPR guns here.

Hope this helps.

Any questions Cliff is just a phone call or email away and he doesn't bite...I promise!!

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did they update the receivers from the first version? If so, how sensitive are the new ones?

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did they update the receivers from the first version? If so, how sensitive are the new ones?
All the hardware, I believe, is new but I will get they confirmed.

There is no official test yet that measures the sensitivity of the new system. Obviously the manufacturer has done testing though I can't share any of the specifics other than by saying I'm really excited to get my hands on this system to test. And of course, manufacturer testing should be confirmed by us backyard testers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

All the hardware, I believe, is new but I will get they confirmed.

There is no official test yet that measures the sensitivity of the new system. Obviously the manufacturer has done testing though I can't share any of the specifics other than by saying I'm really excited to get my hands on this system to test. And of course, manufacturer testing should be confirmed by us backyard testers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT: Confirmed by Stinger. New, new, new. Everything is new. Transmitters, receivers, fibers, control box, and the Tx/Rx heads have different connectors than the old kind. Furthermore, these heads have all been improved since the Radar Roy shootout, which was with preproduction non-final hardware.

nrgetic

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I am curious to see what Version the new LAB is. Any info on that ?
That's what I currently have.

IMG_1891.jpg

nrgetic

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Also on LAB-13 ? That's the HW Rev.

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also on LAB-13 ? That's the HW Rev.
I don't know what the new LAB box is called. I'm sure the omnipresent Stinger rep will tell me soon ;)

But it definitely is brand new hardware.

EDIT: 5 minutes later... Hey look at that -- it's a LAB-14:

IMG_3022.jpg

Last edited:

nrgetic

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Excellent thanks ! Bought my Stinger VIP 5 months ago incl. LAB-13, I hope there will be a fair trade-in program....

Last edited:

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Excellent thanks ! Bought my Stinger VIP 5 months ago incl. LAB-13, I hope there will be a fair trade-in program....
I know Stinger USA is giving all original laser buyers a free upgrade to these units. I think currently the launch of LAB 14 and the associated sensors is for the USA. Don't know about future/global plans.

nrgetic

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I know Stinger USA is giving all original laser buyers a free upgrade to these units. I think currently the launch of LAB 14 and the associated sensors is for the USA. Don't know about future/global plans.
Wonder what the technical differences/advantages between LAB-13 and LAB-14 are. I already have the HD square Laser TX/RX Modules.

jdong

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wonder what the technical differences/advantages between LAB-13 and LAB-14 are. I already have the HD square Laser TX/RX Modules.
The "Gen 14" hardware is all different. Not just the LAB. The HD sensors are also different, and the connectors are different. AIUI, LAB-14 and the rest of the -14 hardware was specifically designed to combat USA guns and threats that the previous -13 hardware did such a lackluster job of protecting against.

I would guess that there's bound to be a new generation at some point for the other regions, but right now their focus seems to be on entering the US market and establishing dominance against North American threats :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choymw