bronch

Learning to Drive
Premium Member
General User
Reaction score
I'm posting here thinking this sub-forum is the pit of despair! But, I'll at least have 1 post and not get flamed, lol. I'm a new member and frankly new to all of this and have a lot of research to do. My radar detector is a wireless passport I bought many years ago and now essentially just lets me know when I've been busted, some times. So, I was initially considering the 9500ci and now leaning towards the Bell STiR+ after some recommendations and reading some. What I am not savvy at all with is the laser jammers and the different UI's or connections. (i.e.- hard wired, bluetooth or Hifi and the benefits of each) I have read that ALP seems to be the most accepted now as the best and am leaning that way. Anyway, I would appreciate any links about the tech, differences in brands, etc... if they exist. Thanks.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
haha welcome!

Yeah, the beginner is an interesting section. It's not public so you can talk about stuff without it winding up on Google, but it's not as secure as some of the higher sections since you don't have to be verified to be not a LEO to post in the beginner section.

If you'd like an overview of the different jammers and how they compare, I did a video pretty recently of the different brands out there and how they compare so if you want a crash course in all the popular models on the market, here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvyBo8QgI_E

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Are you looking for having a permanent installed detector or something you can move from car to car? Both 9500ci and STi-R Plus radar detectors are great units.

bronch

Learning to Drive
Premium Member
General User
Reaction score
haha welcome!

I watched that video and actually that's what prompted me to join and lean towards ALP. Very informational, thank you for doing that and for the welcome.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Welcome! Good to have a fellow member from the PNW. Sounds like you've started your research already. There is a lot of info here and I'm confident you'll find many answers. What kind of vehicle are you looking to protect?

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, lots of info here and I'llbe busty for awhile trying to get up to speed (no pun intended ;). I'll try not ask any silly questions, but I'm sure some may get through. I'm getting an M5.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Are you looking for having a permanent installed detector or something you can move from car to car? Both 9500ci and STi-R Plus radar detectors are great units.

Yes, permanent. Both of those appear to be very good and well accepted. There are people in both camps, so that makes the choice a little more difficult.

Benji

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum buddy and thanks for introducing yourself!

It's interesting you should be considering the STiR+ over the CI given the (very) recent developments on the CI so I would wait to see how the future testing pans out!

bronch

Learning to Drive
Premium Member
General User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum buddy and thanks for introducing yourself!

It's interesting you should be considering the STiR+ over the CI given the (very) recent developments on the CI so I would wait to see how the future testing pans out!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm guessing the new developments are talked about in the 9500 thread, so I'll check it out. My car won't be here for about 6-8 weeks and I'll hopefully be able to decide by then. Not sure I can really go terribly wrong either way though.

Last edited:

Chromatic

Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome!

Thanks for introducing yourself, and your thoughts so far. You've already headed towards the upper echelon of detector and jammer systems.. If you go with a STIR Plus with ALP Jammers.. you are going to be happy.

If the 9500ci get's Seg, and thus matches (or maybe rivals) the STIR+'s advantage.. it could be a new ballgame in that debate.

Though.. both use the M3 horn.. and both are top notch detectors.. hence the price(s).

I'd still lean, personally, toward STIR+ with ALP .. unless money is not really an object in this.. then every foot of range matters, and maybe as was said.. waiting and reading on the developments of what happens (or doesn't) to the 9500ci in the coming weeks/months (time) could be smart.

Though I don't think you'll be kicking yourself for running a STIR + with ALP heads lol..

Don't forget,.. Windshield detectors are still good,.. I'd at least take a read and glance at the V1 (with YaV1 App) -- the Max 2 (with EL App) -- and the Redline with (EL App) -- just to know what's out there,.. and why that M3 in the STIR+, 9500ci, and Redline is so good.. (and stealth ;) ).

The only detector with arrows still is the Valentine One.. a windshield mount detector -- though with the right money you can mount it quite stealthily/clean and have the arrows built into your mirror, run a remote display.. or do what most of us do now .. Run our Android Phones (or tablets) as a display for the V1 given YaV1 is almost a given (must have) when using a V1 detector. (The arrows obviously point you toward where the radar is eminent from.. and helps a great deal.. though they are not necessary to just slow down when an alert comes in, and be saved.)

Lots of videos out there.. lots of info here,.. ask any questions you have, we don't bite peoples heads off for asking questions that are going to be asked a lot,.. and definitely don't for wanting personal opinions based on your own "needs/wants/desires" of counter measure protection and function.

Take care,

speeddemon

Warp Speed
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome the ci is the best now that I know of but the + is no slouch so either way you are golden against radar Alp is the best or LI if you don't see newer guns

Sent from my Galaxy S4 somewhere on the go

bronch

Learning to Drive
Premium Member
General User
Reaction score

Thanks again for the welcome, it is really appreciated and I think this is the only forum I have joined where members go out of their way to do so. It's great. You make good points about the windshield mounted units and just finished read one of the threads where the Max2 did very well, amongst others. I've decided to wait a little before buying and gather more info. What is Seg and M3? I couldn't find the abbrev for them in that section, but may have likely just read over it.

Chromatic

Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks again for the welcome, it is really appreciated and I think this is the only forum I have joined where members go out of their way to do so. It's great. You make good points about the windshield mounted units and just finished read one of the threads where the Max2 did very well, amongst others. I've decided to wait a little before buying and gather more info. What is Seg and M3? I couldn't find the abbrev for them in that section, but may have likely just read over it.
[MENTION=9011]bronch[/MENTION]

The M3 is the "horn" type in a radar detector. The M3 is the best design ever to come out thus far. This should help:

https://www.rdforum.org/content/radar-detector-horns/#M3

Seg: Is just short for Segmentation / Band Segmentation. I think, again, reading part or all of this will really help you out:

https://www.rdforum.org/content/?s=segment

Isn't this forum great lol!

Last edited:

Chrislorl

Under the radar, and Lidar
Premium Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Bronch
Welcome, you are on the right path, investing in a quality solution ONE TIME is the key.
Feel free to ask away from features, functions, to installation, and with that info you will be able to make the best choice for your
situation and vehicle. Keep in mind where you drive the most can also effect your choices, some devices may be lacking what you need
or even in some cases be overkill. If you can not find the info here I doubt you will find it some where else.

Miker

Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
[MENTION=9011]bronch[/MENTION], welcome to the forum and thanks for the introduction. We seem to have a lot of new members, but few intros.

It sounds like you're on the right track: researching your CM's and looking to invest in a good setup from the start, which is great, if you can swing the initial investment.

ToddB

Learning to Walk
Newly Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I am a new member also. ( hello from WI below) This seams like a very helpful site. I ordered a AL PRIORITY laser jammer and just received it today. It really looks like a well built unit with easy to understand instructions. Mine is for a Camaro. I have a Valentine 1 for radar.

bronch

Learning to Drive
Premium Member
General User
Reaction score
@bronch

The M3 is the "horn" type in a radar detector. The M3 is the best design ever to come out thus far. This should help:

https://www.rdforum.org/content/radar-detector-horns/#M3

Seg: Is just short for Segmentation / Band Segmentation. I think, again, reading part or all of this will really help you out:

https://www.rdforum.org/content/?s=segment

Isn't this forum great lol!

Excellent, thanks for the links.

Bronch
Welcome, you are on the right path, investing in a quality solution ONE TIME is the key.
Feel free to ask away from features, functions, to installation, and with that info you will be able to make the best choice for your
situation and vehicle. Keep in mind where you drive the most can also effect your choices, some devices may be lacking what you need
or even in some cases be overkill. If you can not find the info here I doubt you will find it some where else.

I'll have it professionally installed, but would like one with a logical UI (ie- easy to navigate). I mean not too technical so that I can change things on the fly without feeling like I need to know how to code. I live in Western Washington, so dense trees/forest, hills, water, mountains and mountain passes. For work, my driving is 70% highway and 30% urban/city. Not too many places that are wide open unless I start going east. To my knowledge there are no speed cameras, but there are relight cameras. I know these guys use laser, but I have no idea what type, nor percentage of laser vs radar. Not sure how to find that out. I think I'm on the right track between the STiR+ or CI and ALP. Thanks to [MENTION=7034]Chromatic[/MENTION] I'll read about Seg and see whether or not that's worth waiting for. Thanks for the welcome.

bronch

Learning to Drive
Premium Member
General User
Reaction score
No, there are a few speed cameras around here. Predominantly in school zones.

Here's a vid...

Thanks for the video. I haven't seen those around here, but more likely because I wasn't looking. So, is there some sort of resource to find out where they are ? (aside from schools zones where frankly I won't be speeding anyway) Also, I read the article posted above on band segmentation and it listed 3 popular Ka bands that are used. Is there a resource to know what is used in your area? Or are those 3 bands a result of the limitations of the radar gun?

Edit: BTW, I tried to look in the geographic survey, but it comes up empty/blank. I guess I don't have privileges for that yet.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Localmauythai