The Next generation in falses and issues presents itself/ Lidar based FCWS

Chrislorl

Under the radar, and Lidar
Premium Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So this came across my desk in one form or another.
It is a Lidar based forward collision warning system. At this point more technical details have not been released to me, but I can only imagine.
_fjlHifoZCM336T8_-2WDWiUdVlBejZW.jpeg
http://wp2.aerostar.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/AWL-Datasheet.pdf

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Looks like the same sort of setup that Volvos and Inifinitis use.

And I would MUCH rather deal with these than the K band polluting Buicks!!!

GTO_04

con40mb

34.7 on I87
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
unless it operates on 904 nm why would it be a problem?
I doubt it will.

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
unless it operates on 904 nm why would it be a problem?
I doubt it will.

Why wouldn't it... Infinities, Volvo's, Etc. all set off laser alerts. Why would you think any new system would be any different. I am so tired of all the false alerts from cars on the road.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Why wouldn't it... Infinities, Volvo's, Etc. all set off laser alerts. Why would you think any new system would be any different. I am so tired of all the false alerts from cars on the road.
All collision avoidance systems should either use oxygen/nitrogen absorption bands that are useless as police radar, or visible light captured by cameras that don't transmit anything. With two or more cameras on the front of the car, the system should be able to judge distance without spewing K band or 904nm pollution all over the road.

I would love to see a LIDAR based collision avoidance system jammer go on the market just to make a point about polluting the 904nm band. Well not really a jammer, but a system that makes the CAS think that there's a car 10 feet from the bumper so that it jams on the brakes repeatedly.

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
All collision avoidance systems should either use oxygen/nitrogen absorption bands that are useless as police radar, or visible light captured by cameras that don't transmit anything. With two or more cameras on the front of the car, the system should be able to judge distance without spewing K band or 904nm pollution all over the road.

I would love to see a LIDAR based collision avoidance system jammer go on the market just to make a point about polluting the 904nm band. Well not really a jammer, but a system that makes the CAS think that there's a car 10 feet from the bumper so that it jams on the brakes repeatedly.

That would probably instantly get laser jammers banned and result in stiff fines.

Most cars with a collision avoidance system do have a camera system too. The whole point is to have multiple redundant sensor systems that confirm a threat before making a potentially dangerous decision to brake the car.

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

I was thinking of something more subtle, like a low power FMCW K band transmitter that causes an intermittent alert in vehicles equipped with blind spot detection systems. This would be no small task of course.

GTO_04

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TGurnie