Not this guy

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
A good friend of mine has a bolt on modded 2011 5.0 Mustang that is pretty loud. He works for an insurance company and toys with the car just to so he can turn a wrench instead of pushing a pencil on the weekends. He has raced it on the track and it will put up high 12s if he gets the shifts right but other than that he's as straight an arrow on public streets as you can get.

So this morning we're sitting at a light on a rural FM road when a Camaro SS rolls up and starts revving his engine at us. We look over and see this guy waving at us to race. I trust my friends ethical position on public safety but it looked like a challenge too hard to resist with all that open road. I steel myself for at least a 0-60 launch but instead my friend reaches down in his console and pulls out a wallet, flips it open and holds it up to his driver side window shaking his head. The Camaro driver shrugs his shoulders and creeps off when the light turns green. As we roll away I look down and see what he held up was a fake plastic police badge. I laughed out loud and asked "What's that for?". He said "For situations like this when I can't explain I don't street race". I was pretty tickled by the idea and asked how often it works.. He said "Almost every time except this one time when I held it up and the other guy held up a real police badge. I don't know if it was a sting or maybe he was legit but he burned rubber for 50 feet afterwards"

CoralRed335XI

Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
Impersonating a cop is probably worse than a street racing summons.

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Let the other guy run down the road. Who cares what he does.

hammerdown

The North remembers....
Advanced User
Reaction score
A good friend of mine has a bolt on modded 2011 5.0 Mustang that is pretty loud. He works for an insurance company and toys with the car just to so he can turn a wrench instead of pushing a pencil on the weekends. He has raced it on the track and it will put up high 12s if he gets the shifts right but other than that he's as straight an arrow on public streets as you can get.

So this morning we're sitting at a light on a rural FM road when a Camaro SS rolls up and starts revving his engine at us. We look over and see this guy waving at us to race. I trust my friends ethical position on public safety but it looked like a challenge too hard to resist with all that open road. I steel myself for at least a 0-60 launch but instead my friend reaches down in his console and pulls out a wallet, flips it open and holds it up to his driver side window shaking his head. The Camaro driver shrugs his shoulders and creeps off when the light turns green. As we roll away I look down and see what he held up was a fake plastic police badge. I laughed out loud and asked "What's that for?". He said "For situations like this when I can't explain I don't street race". I was pretty tickled by the idea and asked how often it works.. He said "Almost every time except this one time when I held it up and the other guy held up a real police badge. I don't know if it was a sting or maybe he was legit but he burned rubber for 50 feet afterwards"

:sotw: his modded 5.0 would probably cleaned the asphalt with that SS.... but instead you guys chose to "cop out."

whats wrong with your friend? he might as well just trade 5.0 for a Fusion...

no cops around, open road, nothing on the RD.... i would have let it rip....

if you watch for cops, and you see one, you could always "sandbag" and let the SS become your rabbit..... :p.......:cool:

Hahns52

Ass Möde
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Grumpy Old Goat

it'a a COP, not an el ee oh
Advanced User
Reaction score
West Coast of the _American Corporate Colony __ X-
cool story

Flipping open a wallet with a fake badge isn't impersonating a COP.
Fraud, perhaps; impersonation, no.
Following through, and acting like a COP with some display of authority, is an entirely different matter.

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
cool story

Flipping open a wallet with a fake badge isn't impersonating a COP.
Fraud, perhaps; impersonation, no.
Following through, and acting like a COP with some display of authority, is an entirely different matter.

Do you think most cops know how to differentiate that?

PointerCone

M3 Kng
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is your buddy named "Blart" by the way???

Just askin...........................

Fact is, there was some "fear" as to why he wouldnt run the Camaro??? Clear area, rural road, no traffic..........................(I'd be doing AM Graffiti all over that!!! )..............

Grumpy Old Goat

it'a a COP, not an el ee oh
Advanced User
Reaction score
West Coast of the _American Corporate Colony __ X-

Hahns52

Ass Möde
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Fact is, there was some "fear" as to why he wouldnt run the Camaro??? Clear area, rural road, no traffic..........................(I'd be doing AM Graffiti all over that!!! )..............
While it wasn't quite rural, more like a combination of suburbs and farm land, a few years ago (before I ran CMs) a buddy and I ran eachother from a couple stop lights, both times we let off at about 10+PSL (PSL is 40) and backed down close to the limit, no traffic at all. A couple miles later out of nowhere a LEO rolls up behind us and stops my buddy and asks him if he won :p He got a warning, but I'll never forget that and not having a damn clue where that LEO came from, I've never confirmed radar used from that city's cruisers either, so he had to have seen it from not very far away.

Pic for reference.
hVU9REZ.png

LukePerry085

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That was a great place to race back then (still is, except for cops)! When they first widened the road and it wasn't painted yet I hit 140 through there a couple of times!

hammerdown

The North remembers....
Advanced User
Reaction score
The worst part of losing a race is the money you must dump into the car to make it faster lol

nah, you're going to spend the money anyway. for me, my drug of choice was N20..... "pill it till ya kill it".... :p

ive "overdosed" my fair share of engines back in the day.... a burned piston here, a fried ring there.... but man was it fun. :cool:

even though ive settled down a bit with age... no way am I letting an SS camaro revv on me without a response...:p

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
nah, you're going to spend the money anyway. for me, my drug of choice was N20..... "pill it till ya kill it".... :p

ive "overdosed" my fair share of engines back in the day.... a burned piston here, a fried ring there.... but man was it fun. :cool:

even though ive settled down a bit with age... no way am I letting an SS camaro revv on me without a response...:p

I agree completely. As I grow older I hate to see all my friends growing increasingly risk averse to the point I wonder why they even have muscle cars.

roadbug

PSL +5
Premium Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I agree completely. As I grow older I hate to see all my friends growing increasingly risk averse to the point I wonder why they even have muscle cars.
My feeling was always if you are truly fast you do not need to prove it to every kiddie in a hopped up whatever. That being said I did do a number on a young guy in one of the newer Mustangs on the way home from one of my cruze spots one evening. He was technically faster than me but didnt know how to drive what he had so stop light to stop light on South Madison in Indy I could hole shot him and beat him to the next light. Really pissed him off as he was trying to impress his GF.

PointerCone

M3 Kng
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
First of all, if you're not going to drive it like you stole it, you're just a poseur. A colleague has a Gallardo. Biggest pussy you've ever seen in a car. Couldn't drive his way put of paper bag. Totally pointless to even own the car. Now, back on topic here. Why would the friend in the stang even pull a Blart on the guy. Obviously he was afraid that the SS would take him. If you don't want to run, which is fine, just take off slowly from the stop. No need for the plastic badge. Basically the Camaro called him out.

hammerdown

The North remembers....
Advanced User
Reaction score
Basically the Camaro called him out.

and he b1tched out.... :p

I always love those guys like you describe in the Gallardo. Cant drive to save their life. A few months back I had a kid in a '13 Camaro ZL1 revv me at a light. I took him serious and dumped as the red faded to green. Beat him by 2 car lengths and he had a car with over a 200 hp handicap. :facepalm:

I never should have pulled on him, he should have had me from the word "go." but as Vin says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Zg7bTXRfU

thats why im never afraid to drag, I dont care what you got, just because its got more power and faster, doesnt mean you can drive it..... :p

johndoesix

Remember when traction cntrl was your right foot?
Advanced User
Reaction score
Some of the people you guys talk about wont even take their cars to the local autocross. I have seen many modded cars get schooled by mostly stock cars, and I've done a few myself, although that was after some seat time. I love the look on their face when I respond with "Mods? Open exhaust, racing seat, and driver."

bhrodeoaz

Lifted and tuned Ram
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
lol fords problem starts at the blue oval and continues on back lol

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads