IR license plate countermeasures

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ohhhhh yeah forgot that privacy plate fearness says it can 'jam' lidar lol

There is a saying I've learned in life, "Trust, but verify." ;)

Docradar

Reckless Rabbit
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm thinking an internally reflective/dispersing film such as the backlight dispersion lens on an LCD screen. Have a bright IR source illuminating it at all times. Visible light? No problemo, looks like a piece of plastic. Camera? White plate.

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm thinking an internally reflective/dispersing film such as the backlight dispersion lens on an LCD screen. Have a bright IR source illuminating it at all times. Visible light? No problemo, looks like a piece of plastic. Camera? White plate.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I just got the ONTRACK cover in the mail today, can't wait to test it out both with IR cam as well as a visual light cam with IR flooding the plate area. Anything that has CMOS, which is pretty much all traffic cams period should be blinded by IR in theory, and with the passive cover at least reflect that instead of your plate number.

Gadgetlocator1

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
How did this turn out? I found this by searching cuz I had the same type of idea and I figured someone has to have already done this....

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
How did this turn out? I found this by searching cuz I had the same type of idea and I figured someone has to have already done this....
All lot of us would probably like to know the answer to that too.

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
Well worked under my IR camera, but truth is sunflexzone covers are better (demos are on youtube comparing both). Haven't got to test with IR flooding the plate area yet, other members said it doesn't work in a combo against toll cameras... but toll cams tend to have visual light backup so not sure the goal (blocking IR only or IR sensitive cameras) is the same here. I've been thinking about getting some license plate LED lights that have SMDs and replacing some of the white SMDs with IR SMD LEDs and seeing if that has any effect.

Edit: What the plate looked like under my IR camera with ontrack cover (you can notice that the numbers are still SLIGHTLY visible, and would be even more so under professional cameras -- therefore the sunflex ones really are the way to go)
1622629433761.png

Last edited:

kort677

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well worked under my IR camera, but truth is sunflexzone covers are better (demos are on youtube comparing both). Haven't got to test with IR flooding the plate area yet, other members said it doesn't work in a combo against toll cameras... but toll cams tend to have visual light backup so not sure the goal (blocking IR only or IR sensitive cameras) is the same here. I've been thinking about getting some license plate LED lights that have SMDs and replacing some of the white SMDs with IR SMD LEDs and seeing if that has any effect.

Edit: What the plate looked like under my IR camera with ontrack cover (you can notice that the numbers are still SLIGHTLY visible, and would be even more so under professional cameras -- therefore the sunflex ones really are the way to go)
View attachment 180507
they have received terrible reviews on amazon J/S

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
they have received terrible reviews on amazon J/S
Amazon seller isn't the same, they're just using sunflexzone's name and pics. Also this cover is SPECIFICALLY to defeat IR ONLY cameras. People wanting to defeat tolls, redlight, etc. that don't know the difference gonna 1 star and complain, such is life.

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
1631253833487.png

Not super impressed with SunflexZone. Wyze cam IR photo from tonight^ works at angle, but dead on it was readable still I'd say IR Invisibplate is probably comparable, I'll have to check again against it when I have the Ontrac in the Garage.

Straight on it's ineffective:
1631254391644.png

Maybe wyze isn't the best test tho it's very possible their 'night vision' is a mix of visible + IR.. but these were taken in darkness.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Reactions: CPB

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Lol that thing is surprisingly slick. Not sure what I expected but it wasn't that 😂
Very low tech but they can't photograph what the camera can't see. Trouble is you have to know when to activate it.

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
I made another thread about Solas Magic Black, just taped my plate frame up with it makes a very bright white light under IR, combining this with sunflexzone to see if it doesn't help against IR cameras, wyze screenshots attached but wyze doesn't do true IR so I'd be very curious to see real results may be even more impressive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210917-205518.png
    Screenshot_20210917-205518.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210917-205503.png
    Screenshot_20210917-205503.png
    828.6 KB · Views: 17

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads