Is there a top and bottom?

Chrislorl

Under the radar, and Lidar
Premium Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well since the installation instructions stink, I thought I would ask here.
Is there a to and bottom on a 905 head?
Several people have suggested swapping the heads on my vehicle due to location, but could they just be flipped over or is the beam compromised if this is done? I do not know if it is that much of an aimed beam or is it a flood that is transmitted back?

Thanks for the help.

crm

Ticket Avoidance
Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
Make sure that the bubble is facing out. The heads must be level and pointed straight. Put them close to the headlights and center mass. Here is a picture of my front heads.

Attachments

• DSCN0544.JPG
    DSCN0544.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 178

PointerCone

M3 Kng
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Make sure that the bubble is facing out. The heads must be level and pointed straight. Put them close to the headlights and center mass. Here is a picture of my front heads.
Bubbles out, X2 and get yourself a small bubble level..............................................Some guys angle them out just slightly for better reception as well.

Nice install on the Toyota, very stealthy!!

Chrislorl

Premium Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Thanks. I posted my install in another thread: https://www.rdforum.org/showthread.php?t=29209
Several people recommended swapping the heads from right to left to get the receiver bubble more exposed, so instead of swapping I was thinking about just flipping over, thats why I asked.
Yours are very similar to mine but your heads are out further, If you look straight down are they past the front of the bumper, or recessed?

I have since picked up two more heads and located one above the rear license plate and will add a third to the center front of my grill a bit lower. So at this point I am considering re-locating the two heads more center, same place but more forward, and considering the swap of bubble inside as suggested previously. The only person that I can find to test for me is about 2.5 hours away so it's tough to confirm proper operation. This is why I appreciate the experience of others here.

pwrpuma

Learning to Drive
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
Thanks. I posted my install in another thread: https://www.rdforum.org/showthread.php?t=29209
Several people recommended swapping the heads from right to left to get the receiver bubble more exposed, so instead of swapping I was thinking about just flipping over, thats why I asked.
Yours are very similar to mine but your heads are out further, If you look straight down are they past the front of the bumper, or recessed?

I have since picked up two more heads and located one above the rear license plate and will add a third to the center front of my grill a bit lower. So at this point I am considering re-locating the two heads more center, same place but more forward, and considering the swap of bubble inside as suggested previously. The only person that I can find to test for me is about 2.5 hours away so it's tough to confirm proper operation. This is why I appreciate the experience of others here.

Yep, this is the way to correct it.

tchiles

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Unfortunately everything has to be perfect with blinder.

Chrislorl

Premium Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hmmm, OK. So PWRPUMA, you are saying yes to both, move and flip? can they just be turned over or actually swapped?
TCHILES, your saying the other brands have a much wider tolerance level? if so what has the broadest blocking pattern?

Holla

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
If I read correctly you have only ONE head for the rear of your car? Everyone will tell you that is NOT gonna work--you need 2 for the rear and 2 for the front!!

drewdownkali

Rabbit breeder
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would move them closer to front of car and/or closer to center of each grill slot. even a touch would make a difference. But now I get why people said flip em. I don't see why just flipping each head would affect it. As to the rear, IMO, I would research to see, if in your area, they even shoot you from the rear. I would think the only area they would shoot in back is the plate, unless you have ugly altezza tails.

Chrislorl

Premium Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Thanks.
It is a challenge to maintain some cosmetic aesthetics to the front of my car while gaining protection.. The grill is deep, from the waffle shaped inner section to the front of the outer most part is 3 inches. So this is where the biggest challenge comes in to play. So if I brought them closer to the center and out about an inch I may get more coverage, but how far of a spread do I get?

The Red shows current and the yellow is what I am thinking, but I am afraid the two side units will be to far from the headlamps to be effective. charger front small.jpg

This is why I was thinking 3 in the front. As my picture showed in the other post for a CM shot I could place one down lower directly in the center, and at the outermost position of the grill, but the question is will it really make a difference?

As for the rear, this is really a tough one. There just isn't anywhere that would work well for 2 heads, so I did place on just to the side of the Lamp in the center of the license plate. It still leaves the entire rear open which is a big reflective tail light all the way across. And to answer your question, yes they shoot from behind here. I have personally seen it from overpasses.

As well as off axis, yesterday on the way home I saw a motors cop parked sideways on the I-4 interstate on a curve doing close range shots at the most 300 feet off. What saved me was Waze.

Thanks for the input guys, I don't mean to beat a dead horse but pulling the front clip is a job and I hope to get the best result possible with the next shot at this install.

Last edited:

nicholat

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Make yourself out of cardboard 36 circles one for each head, you whole front of car should be covered for full protection. When you put heads deep into front grill, you are blocking the laser shots from the sides and above. [off axis] which is where LEO normally shoots from.

Chrislorl

Premium Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks, that's a great idea, I am assuming you mean 36 inch circles. Easily done and a great learning tool.

nicholat

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yep, 36 inch circles

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

If you move them closer to lights, side shot would be block even more, IMO.

Cogener2002

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If I read correctly you have only ONE head for the rear of your car? Everyone will tell you that is NOT gonna work--you need 2 for the rear and 2 for the front!!
x2!

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

attachment.jpg

You need to get 3m double sided tape and move the brackets in (red) that hold the heads straight out to the edge of your grill. This will protect the bumpers from being damage while parking.;)

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

PM me and I would be happy to help you get the parking assist properly installed!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TGurnie