Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Oh wow, thank you for the heads up! I'll definitely load this up and see how it compares. From the samples on that site, looks like the detail quality does noticeably go up.

It'd be great to have the MPH hack applied to this as well. ;)

codesplice

Professional amateur
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sweet! Loading this up now :)

patsy1099

I'm your huckleberry
Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hope he does the same mod for the SP!

SpeedCounterMeasures

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I hate to ask people to do things but this with mph hack would be grand.

patsy1099

I'm your huckleberry
Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score

Yes it would. SP + MPH (especially since I can't get the existing mph hack to work for me!). I guess now I'm just being greedy :D

codesplice

Professional amateur
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Working on it... who knows whether or not it will work. I guess I'll find out when my camera either explodes or doesn't.

SpeedCounterMeasures

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Working on it... who knows whether or not it will work. I guess I'll find out when my camera either explodes or doesn't.

I imagine you already know this, but if you look at the mph hack code, and the bitrate code, I imagine it would work.

Not trying to take anything away from yak or dashing just giving ideas.

codesplice

Professional amateur
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I imagine you already know this, but if you look at the mph hack code, and the bitrate code, I imagine it would work.

Not trying to take anything away from yak or dashing just giving ideas.

That's exactly what I'm doing ;) Bitrate guy says he didn't change any binaries, so I'm just looking for differences in the .sh and similar files. Found 10 of them that were modified in the past two days, and everything else matches pretty much exactly. Copied those files over. Now just trying to get everything repackaged with the correct compressions and algorithms and whatnot.

Fingers crossed!

SpeedCounterMeasures

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm doing ;) Bitrate guy says he didn't change any binaries, so I'm just looking for differences in the .sh and similar files. Found 10 of them that were modified in the past two days, and everything else matches pretty much exactly. Copied those files over. Now just trying to get everything repackaged with the correct compressions and algorithms and whatnot.

Fingers crossed!
Crossed! Let's hope worst case it don't work, best case it works. Dooms day case your camera gets bricked (hope not).

codesplice

Professional amateur
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, my flash did not take. The original mod does seem to work. I will post videos later tonight

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

At the very least, the videos are just a bit under twice as large as they used to be. The quality to me does look improved. Uploading to youtubes now...

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Random stock bitrate sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rD_KajsOr4

And a go with the modded firmware (please forgive the poor cuts... The missus was rushing me to "stop playing hacker" lol) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KylmATDWhCk

Now I just need to figure out why my MPH+bitrate frankenstein didn't take. I'm guessing the ITB isn't happy with how I repackaged the nested archives. Going to try it from a Linux VM to see if it works better.

Last edited:

SpeedCounterMeasures

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I can't tell if there is a difference or not, I mean at a glance it looks like a pretty big difference but it could be the time of day or anything.

codesplice

Professional amateur
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I can't tell if there is a difference or not, I mean at a glance it looks like a pretty big difference but it could be the time of day or anything.

Yeah, I think it looks better, but I really hate the thought of falling prey to a placebo effect. I'm going to grab a random screen cap from this morning's drive in to compare to a random screen cap from another morning... stand by.

Okay, two photos from two different drives in on two different days, but very similar times and cloud cover. I've censored the date and speed display so maybe you won't know which is which unless you can tell a difference in clarity.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

I got some input from dashingthrusnow on how to (maybe) make my attempt work, so I'm going to give that another go. Short of that, he's also offered to incorporate his bitrate mod into the MPH mod. Either way, we'll have a solution soon :)

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

I did a thing!

http://forum.dashcamtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1538&start=10#p15651

And it even seems to work!

My problem(s) were two-fold: I had been overcomplicating the nested archive structure of the firmware .bin file (and was using tar and gzip separately rather than a tar -cvzf), and one of the files that was renamed in the bitrate mod was the one where the speed calculation was going on in yakpimp's MPH hack. I had been just copying it over from the bitrate hack (cause I'm a n00b) rather than just renaming the existing file. Anyhoo, it works now, so go get you some MPH-enabled 12Mbps bitrate goodness!

Last edited:

patsy1099

I'm your huckleberry
Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you think the improvement in bitrate is worth almost twice the file size? It's hard for me to tell from the examples.

SpeedCounterMeasures

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think the bottom looks better, again not sure if it is better or just the day and items around it/where the camera is focused.

patsy1099

I'm your huckleberry
Premium Member
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think the bottom looks better, again not sure if it is better or just the day and items around it/where the camera is focused.

I would agree. The top has better colors but that could be lighting . The bottom one I can read the plate clearly.

SpeedCounterMeasures

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I would agree. The top has better colors but that could be lighting . The bottom one I can read the plate clearly.
Like you I don't know if it's worth twice as large of a file for such a small improvement.

codesplice

Professional amateur
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you think the improvement in bitrate is worth almost twice the file size? It's hard for me to tell from the examples.

Yeah, it can be pretty hard to tell. I'll need to record/view/compare a lot more video and stills before I can know for sure.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Another quick sample video (from earlier today, with the bitrate mod but km/h only):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOeP_JIs2uY

Last edited:

bkayrac

:(
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just installed this, haven't driven yet, but tested and MPH does still show up.

Thanks ;)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McSleepy