Handling LEO encounters

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's stay on topic :p ha ha
In some areas, driving around with a windshield like that is reason enough for an LEO to pull you over, as it wouldnt pass a safety inspection....
Passing an LEO, tread lightly. I've been pulled over even though I WAS BELOW PSL!
I've been tailed by LEOs with CO Ka, and I would just pull into the first parking lot to let him pass me. After that, he lost interest and made a u turn...
can you say "fishing expedition", "I DARE YOU", or "JUST GIVE ME A REASON" ?

Jag42

USA TMG a-15 Dealer - PM me
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
In some areas, driving around with a windshield like that is reason enough for an LEO to pull you over, as it wouldnt pass a safety inspection....
Passing an LEO, tread lightly. I've been pulled over even though I WAS BELOW PSL!
I've been tailed by LEOs with CO Ka, and I would just pull into the first parking lot to let him pass me. After that, he lost interest and made a u turn...
Windshield is not part of a TX State inspection,but they can pull you over if it is blocking more than 30%. I also worked in the glass industry for a while,and the windshield is fine,and the structure.
Dirty little secret is Glass companies and insurance companies scare tactic peeps into buying new windshields just because of a crack. :)

Got Jeep

Strange days have found us
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Many replace a cracked window purely for aesthetics. Especially if they are shooting video. :p
If Hooptie is how you like to roll, so be it. It's your thing and you own it. :mmmhmm:

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that your detector should NOT be visible from outside the vehicle.

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

rckt

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have a few cops in my family. Cops are human, most don't want to write any paper. Traffic cops or FHP will write their own mother a ticket. Heck in Florida, they chase down and write other cops. Respect and attitude goes a long way.

MotorCityMike

Learning to Drive
General User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
My dad was a LEO for 30 years and HATED writing tickets unless the guy was a loudmouth

He always said, you can't talk yourself out of a ticket but you can damn sure talk yourself into one

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I did get pulled over about 4 years ago over my windshield and tint. Va tint laws 50/35.. I was to be 42% all around, but came back as 34%..go figure?
Ran my info, told thank you for cooperating, sent with warning and get my Windshield fixed.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

awyeah2

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I once got stopped by an Ohio State Trooper, and he looked at my radar detector (Passport 8500 at the time) and said "didn't help you this time, did it?" I can't help but to laugh about it now because if I were in his position I probably would have said the same thing.

That said, politeness always wins.

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I usually start my encounters with a handshake... believe it or not it goes a long way.

Exadata

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
What has helped me win every traffic violation I have fought, 7 of 8, is to make the stop us unremarkable as possible. I have my insurance and registration under the garage door opener on the front passenger visor. I turn on the dome light, hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel, and wait for the officer to approach. When asked for my paperwork, I inform the officer that I will be reaching for the paperwork before I start doing so. I don't argue nor do I explain. I try to end the conversation by asking if the officer knows where and how soon I will be able to pay the ticket. My goal is to leave them with the impression that I won't fight it and they really don't need to make notes on the back of their copy. When it gets to be presented to the magistrate, I explain any reason I can think of why I shouldn't be charged with whatever infraction I have supposedly violated. Every win, in multiple jurisdictions, was because, when the magistrate would ask the officer what is their side of the story, they remark that they really can't even remember the stop. Every time except one, the magistrate has voided the ticket immediately. One time I did need to ask that it be thrown out based upon the officer not being able to even recall the incident.

Best advice of all after quicky scanning through this thread. I'd add putting your hazards on once you realize you're getting pulled over, pulling over in a safe area and over to the edge of the road as far possible on the right side of the road (leo doesn't want to be hit by traffic). If at night, pull over under a street light. Finally, turn your car off and put the keys on the dash (doesn't work if your car has ASS). After whatever happens, ask who should pull back onto the street first (you or them).

9C1Driver

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well if you tell him you have your gun, he's gonna wanna search. Lot harder to refuse search when you have a gun. Don't volunteer info.

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------
If you have a permit and are legally carrying that does not give the officer any right to search your car. At the point you hand him your licence, registration, and insurance card also hand him your permit and inform him you have your gun with you. Most officers are very pro second amendment.

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have a permit and are legally carrying that does not give the officer any right to search your car. At the point you hand him your licence, registration, and insurance card also hand him your permit and inform him you have your gun with you. Most officers are very pro second amendment.
Depends on where you are regarding the pro 2A officers. Lots of them are, but there are quite a few that are not.

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My last encounter with an LEO was recently. I ran through a stop sign on a back road, and so happened to be him on around the bend. Anyway, I was completely respect as they are human too. Hands on the wheel, Asked to reach for my wallet and insurance card. He was going to cite me for a non-turn signal as well, but let that slide. He stated and thanked me for being understanding and respectful. I was cited for a traffic violation, which I expect will be dropped or what not.

NHGuy

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, GoDuke was alluding to this in the thread about goals and objectives. I figured I'd go ahead and post what I have. I'd like to make this part of the wiki, or at least a sticky. The information comes from reading all kinds of advice on the Internet as well as from a few videos made by lawyers and some of my own experience. I've tried to clarify and codify all of this information and here's what I have. What do you guys think?

Handling LEO Encounters
===============

1. DO NOT TALK.
• You are not required to answer all LEO questions. Say as little as possible.
• Do not admit to anything.
• Do not lie, but do not volunteer any information either.
• Do not ever talk to an LEO about countermeasure topics.
• Do not ask an LEO to test your countermeasures.

2. Be Respectful.
• LEOs are human, but believe they are above human and the law. Remember this mentality; if you contradict this you will be punished.
• Act contrite, scared and/or nervous.
• Do not lose your patience nor temper.
• Do not argue, save it for court (and get a lawyer).
• Do not act provocative, blase, nor cocky.
• Do not ever touch an LEO.

3. Do not give up your rights.
• Do not consent to searches. Say “I do not consent to searches.”
• Do not expose yourself (i.e. don’t allow an articulable reason, or reasonable
suspicion for searching, and don’t alarm the LEO).
– Vehicle should be in good working order.
– Vehicle interior should be clean, no clutter.
– Turn interior lights on.
– Put hands on steering wheel and wait until the LEO asks for documents.
– Notify the LEO at once if carrying a weapon (legally, of course).
– Ask, "Can you show cause to detain me, or am I free to go?", then go if you are. Do not hang around.

4. Kill all countermeasures during a traffic stop.
• If you have multiple electronic countermeasures, consider a CM master switch.
• Take countermeasures down out of sight if possible.
• But do this early, while not letting the LEO see you do this.
• Do not forget to deploy and turn them back on after you’re on your way.

5. Report LEO misconduct.
• In-car cameras and mic recordings may help.
• Generally, despite what an LEO tells you, the courts seem to uphold your
right to record audio and video in public in most states. It may be best to
have recorders placed stealthily. Get advice from an attorney first.
• There are rules for handling evidence so get in touch with an attorney ASAP
regarding legally useful recordings.

Cheers,

Ersin

I would add a section on making the cop comfortable with the stop... it goes a longs ways to show your are courteous and mindful of their safety. Which in return they will

1. Pull as far over to the right as possible
2. Hands on top of steering wheel.
3. Turn on Hazards
4. At night turn on dome lights
5. Shut car off.
6. Tell him exactly where you are reaching and what you are reaching for... If your wallet is in your pocket.. say "I am going to reach for my wallet in my left pocket to get my license."

Belive it or not just doing that stuff has gotten me out of guaranteed tickets.

RadRunner

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey all, just saw this thread and wanted to add something. I haven't read all 7 pages so I don't know if it's been said already, but I have some experience with this stuff. It's more generic traffic stop advice, and you may obviously take it or leave it as you see fit.

Don't lie or try waterworks. If you screwed up, don't admit to your speed, but don't lie and say you weren't speeding at all. The officer knows. You know. Everybody knows. You were going too fast. Crying? Insta-ticket for many people. People who cry are the first ones to flip to raging a**h***s as soon as they get a ticket. Emotional manipulation is a quick way to piss people off.

If you are in a situation where you might make a LEO nervous - I.e. blacked-out car with no visibility for an approaching LEO:

Turn on all interior lights so everything can be seen.
Roll down all windows on the side of the vehicle the LEO is approaching on so that the interior and occupants are visible.
Have your required documents in your hands (license, insurance, registration or whatever) and your hands on top of the steering wheel and visible.
All occupants should keep their hands visible.
Turn your wheels to the curb - IOW, if the vehicle were to move, the direction of movement is to the curb/roadside. Wheels to the street are an indication of someone thinking of running.
If possible, keys on dash. Yet another indication you aren't planning of running.
Do not get out of the vehicle or open your door unless instructed to do so.

DocH

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Here's a bit of Info RE: "Duty to Inform"

Doc

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
So, GoDuke was alluding to this in the thread about goals and objectives. I figured I'd go ahead and post what I have. I'd like to make this part of the wiki, or at least a sticky. The information comes from reading all kinds of advice on the Internet as well as from a few videos made by lawyers and some of my own experience. I've tried to clarify and codify all of this information and here's what I have. What do you guys think?

Handling LEO Encounters
===============

1. DO NOT TALK.
• You are not required to answer all LEO questions. Say as little as possible.
• Do not admit to anything.
• Do not lie, but do not volunteer any information either.
• Do not ever talk to an LEO about countermeasure topics.
• Do not ask an LEO to test your countermeasures.

2. Be Respectful.
• LEOs are human, but believe they are above human and the law. Remember this mentality; if you contradict this you will be punished.
• Act contrite, scared and/or nervous.
• Do not lose your patience nor temper.
• Do not argue, save it for court (and get a lawyer).
• Do not act provocative, blase, nor cocky.
• Do not ever touch an LEO.

3. Do not give up your rights.
• Do not consent to searches. Say “I do not consent to searches.”
• Do not expose yourself (i.e. don’t allow an articulable reason, or reasonable
suspicion for searching, and don’t alarm the LEO).
– Vehicle should be in good working order.
– Vehicle interior should be clean, no clutter.
– Turn interior lights on.
– Put hands on steering wheel and wait until the LEO asks for documents.
– Notify the LEO at once if carrying a weapon (legally, of course).
– Ask, "Can you show cause to detain me, or am I free to go?", then go if you are. Do not hang around.

4. Kill all countermeasures during a traffic stop.
• If you have multiple electronic countermeasures, consider a CM master switch.
• Take countermeasures down out of sight if possible.
• But do this early, while not letting the LEO see you do this.
• Do not forget to deploy and turn them back on after you’re on your way.

5. Report LEO misconduct.
• In-car cameras and mic recordings may help.
• Generally, despite what an LEO tells you, the courts seem to uphold your
right to record audio and video in public in most states. It may be best to
have recorders placed stealthily. Get advice from an attorney first.
• There are rules for handling evidence so get in touch with an attorney ASAP
regarding legally useful recordings.

Cheers,

Ersin
This was perfect 👌🏻

venom690

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have a question, if an officer is just standing there or not doing anything and you ask if you are being detained or you are free to go and he stays quiet, are you allowed to put in 1st and leave?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedarkdraft