Radar Detectors and Air Travel

Vicks Pit 7

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Maybe a silly question, but does bringing your radar detector on an airplane have any detrimental effects to the longevity or future performance of the unit? I ask because of the TSA screening and pressure that is caused by altitude during flights. Over time, could this potentially cause a radar detector to prematurely fail or knock it out of spec?

I have been traveling more for work lately and have decided to bring at least one of my detectors on the trips. They prove to be useful especially in unknown areas. Other than a good chuckle from the occasional rental car attendant, I haven’t noticed any performance or reliability issues from air travel yet. Just wondering though if I’m bringing on a potential problem to my detectors by doing this?

laxman

Fahrvergnügen
Advanced User
Reaction score
No problems with traveling with them. The xray won't hurt them either.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

BestRadarDetectors

Manufacturer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
No, We have customers that travel all the time with their detectors. If you put it in a carry case it will be safe and there will be no issues.

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
I wonder if Cobras set off the alarm....... :D

The Stig

Some say...
Advanced User
Reaction score
Guys, thanks.... Stigs Cousin. I was looking at it more from a future performance/reliability standpoint, but still good info.
Just thought it was good to know many of us have already traveled on planes with RD's with no problems. You're good to go on a plane with it.

kpatz

35.5, 35.5, and more 35.5
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've flown with RDs a number of times. Had no issues, either with security or the RD. I keep it in my carryon since I don't trust the baggage manglers.

EightyFiveHundred

-/-\- v10 (00=[][]=00) ///M5
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I flew about 70,000 miles with my Redline for all my rentals without any problems.

v1fan

smeg
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nah, just carry on or otherwise care for it as you would for your ipod, etc etc

zr1

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can't plug it in and operate it under 10,000' on the plane. But watch out for false alerts from Row 11 if they're running a Cobra ESD7100. Mounting it level can be an issue if you use the seat in front of you and the person can't decide if they want to be reclined or not. And for flying over VA or DC, mounting under the tray-table may work best.

Cheapguy1985

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You can't plug it in and operate it under 10,000' on the plane. But watch out for false alerts from Row 11 if they're running a Cobra ESD7100. Mounting it level can be an issue if you use the seat in front of you and the person can't decide if they want to be reclined or not. And for flying over VA or DC, mounting under the tray-table may work best.
Any way to hard-wire that?

codesplice

Professional amateur
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do believe that just made my morning.

Also, add me to the list of folks who travels with a RD anytime I travel. For a while I was working for a defense contractor and logged 150k+ air miles in a few years, carried my V1 (in the handy dandy carrying case) with me on every trip with no problems. Saved my butt several times in the UAE :-D

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylemraley