My R7 remote mute button

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My R7 remote mute button:

IMG_20211012_164518353.jpg

IMG_20211012_164725655.jpg

MCP2515 connected to BCAN bus to look for the steering wheel button I want to use for mute, Arduino Nano to get the codes from the MCP2515 and to drive the Uniden mute line to ground when the button has been detected. Less than $5 for the MCP2515 and nano (at least when I bought them back in 2018).

Just have to make a neat little package out of it now.

Mythic01

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Nice job. That makes for a much cleaner install than having the factory Uniden mute box clogging up space on your steering wheel.

Reactions: jcp

AnthonySzum

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Can you suggest where I can read up on setting up relays(?) like this?
I find this fascinating and would love to be able to do something like this in the future, specifically for my ALP and a button that had no use in my vehicle.

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
No relay involved, the nano is a microcontroller and it drives the mute line directly.

I pretty much just stuck with this guide:

Once I figured out which code was used by the button I replaced the canano sketch with a very simple sketch which just looks for the one specific code and drive the output accordingly.

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ah, bonus feature, on powerup it can hit the mute button automatically so it will mute any alert that might be going on at the time, that will fix the issue where it's going off for a few seconds until it gets it's GPS fix when leaving a store that has a automatic door. Lockouts and quiet ride don't mute it until it gets a GPS fix.

butterman

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This is great! I went with an analog solution in my brz but this is much cleaner. People complain too often about modern cars being too complicated and having too many electronics but the reality is that you need to keep up with the times. I've got an mp2515 sitting in my toolbox that I probably bought sometime in 2018 as well.

Did you find the corresponding code with the mp2515 or do you have a more sophisticated sniffer?

Last edited:

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This is great! I went with an analog solution in my brz but this is much cleaner. People complain too often about modern cars being too complicated and having too many electronics but the reality is that you need to keep up with the times. I've got an mp2515 sitting in my toolbox that I probably bought sometime in 2018 as well.

Did you find the corresponding code with the mp2515 or do you have a more sophisticated sniffer?

I used the MCP2515 and nano to sniff the bus using the canano sketch and python script in the guide I linked.

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The steering wheel mute button is actually a lot more useful than I was expecting (the mute button on the detector is easily accessible so wasn't expecting much gain in usability).

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've got mine running through a factory button on the dash. I hardly ever need to press it though.

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yeah, for the most part it’s very quiet. I keep it in highway mode and have quiet ride set at 45. But when I drive somewhere new I either have to keep it below 45 or start hitting mute a lot or fumble to change the mode.

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ah, bonus feature, on powerup it can hit the mute button automatically so it will mute any alert that might be going on at the time, that will fix the issue where it's going off for a few seconds until it gets it's GPS fix when leaving a store that has a automatic door. Lockouts and quiet ride don't mute it until it gets a GPS fix.

Mute alert within first x seconds of power up works pretty well. It monitors the alert line from the RD for the first x seconds after power up and if it goes low then it drives the mute line low. Right now I've got it at 10 seconds. You'll get the first alert blip but that's better than a series of blips for however long it takes to get a gps fix. Getting a fix is usually pretty fast but even a few seconds is pretty annoying.

The only negative is that sometimes it gets the gps fix so fast it wasn't going to make any sound but the alert line still goes low and it will still do the mute function so if it's a locked out alert you'll get the "Delete Mute Memory" prompt. Not a problem other than it's making a sound when it wouldn't have but it's not a jarring sound like the alert and I don't think this will happen much in use.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjmackay