My G2 gave me almost no warning today on K

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you may be missing something. L mode results in roughly the same performance as City on the R7. At times it's better, other times it's worse. The reason for this is that L mode isn't a simple sensitivity cutting function like Auto or City modes, it is looking at the number of signals as well as using persistence to judge if to alert. I am sure there are other things going on that affect it, but overall it's roughly akin to running City mode on the R7.

KV seems to work fine in the real world for me, it does a great job of getting rid of a lot of noise. With the R7, I have to turn TSF on and MRCD on to even come close to getting that kind of filtering. And the range of the R7 and V1G2 are very similar when both have their traffic monitoring sensor filters turned on. When you turn them off on both, again the ranges are very similar (and the false alerts between the 2 are also very similar in this configuration)

I do wish VR would refine the reactivity on K band and would offer more options in K filtering so we could have more choice in what level of noise we wish to be exposed to. Either that or make the KV so damned efficient that you wouldn't even consider turning it off.
Maybe I had too little coffee today but I’m looking at that table, and the V1G2 KV On mode took a drop from 2300 ft to 1700-1900ft which is in the ballpark of the R7’s 60% sensitivity mode or less… and the variance is noticeably increased run to run too.

I mean I think todays KV mode is a slightly too heavy hammer but KV off isn’t very usable. It’s not the near no brainer of Junk K Fighter which had a predictable and relatively modest effect on range when on vs off.

I don’t disagree though that if you tried to make a R7 as quiet as the V1G2, you’d have to hit much more aggressive big hammer options which will seriously affect its range. But that is more because the R7 IMO isn’t as capable at BSM filtering compared to the newest generation and there’s no replacement for true BSM filtering in the world of turning on various other filters hoping for a BSM improvement side effect.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Maybe I had too little coffee today but I’m looking at that table, and the V1G2 KV On mode took a drop from 2300 ft to 1700-1900ft which is in the ballpark of the R7’s 60% sensitivity mode or less… and the variance is noticeably increased run to run too.

I mean I think todays KV mode is a slightly too heavy hammer but KV off isn’t very usable. It’s not the near no brainer of Junk K Fighter which had a predictable and relatively modest effect on range when on vs off.

I don’t disagree though that if you tried to make a R7 as quiet as the V1G2, you’d have to hit much more aggressive big hammer options which will seriously affect its range. But that is more because the R7 IMO isn’t as capable at BSM filtering compared to the newest generation and there’s no replacement for true BSM filtering in the world of turning on various other filters hoping for a BSM improvement side effect.
I can't speak to how much coffee you partake in, but I can tell you that the results in that table are from a firmware version known to be very high performing on K band (much like the DS1). It's also known to be very noisy on K band (much like the DS1). Later versions are quieter on K band, but they also perform about what you see there with 60% K band.

I am referring to the latest firmware versions only. The only way KV is too heavy of a hammer is that it negatively affects reactivity, which also results in decreased range results. If I want an R7 experience, I can turn KV off. If I want a V1G2 experience on an R7, I have to run the latest firmware, turn TSF on, and turn MRCD on. At that point the V1G2 trades shots.

But I agree, I too wish for more progressive options to cut down the noise (I stated that in the post, maybe you spilled coffee on the screen and didn't see it), I will also repeat that I believe that VR can solve the K band issue AND keep performance acceptable and it's one of my wishes.

Last edited:

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the G2's K performance is a surprise at this point. There's been so much testing and real world encounters that I would have hoped there would be a general consensus around here at this point.

The G2's filtering doesn't like the Decatur guns, causing a long delay in alerting to them. We've known this since May of 2020.
The G2 also performs worse against low power K (Kustom and Stalker Patrol) than the other top detectors. This is most likely also due to it's filtering and trying to silence false alerts.

@elantra04 's encounter doesn't surprise me in the least, especially if the frequency was in the 24.125 range which is where the low power lives.

I run the G2 even knowing this though I'm mighty careful when I go through the localities that run low power around me. Luckily I still face mostly Ka band. If I faced 50% K band or more, I'd think long and hard about discontinuing my use of the G2 in favor of my R7.
This is all news to me!
I didn't realise those guns the cops carried worked on low power k band, I though low power was more a photo-radar threat?

Last edited:

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
This is all news to me!
I didn't realise those guns the cops carried worked on low power k band, I though low power was more a photo-radar threat?
The Kustom Raptor and Kustom Falcon HR are both low powered K.

Some say the Stalker Patrol is low powered K, but it's not. Technically it shouldn't be much more difficult to detect than any other K unless something else is different.

Edit: Kustom FALCON, not Talon.

Last edited:

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The Kustom Raptor and Kustom Talon HR are both low powered K.

Some say the Stalker Patrol is low powered K, but it's not. Technically it shouldn't be much more difficult to detect than any other K unless something else is different.
Thanks for that. This is some serious shit!!

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score

Cannonf600

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the G2's K performance is a surprise at this point. There's been so much testing and real world encounters that I would have hoped there would be a general consensus around here at this point.

The G2's filtering doesn't like the Decatur guns, causing a long delay in alerting to them. We've known this since May of 2020.
The G2 also performs worse against low power K (Kustom and Stalker Patrol) than the other top detectors. This is most likely also due to it's filtering and trying to silence false alerts.

@elantra04 's encounter doesn't surprise me in the least, especially if the frequency was in the 24.125 range which is where the low power lives.

I run the G2 even knowing this though I'm mighty careful when I go through the localities that run low power around me. Luckily I still face mostly Ka band. If I faced 50% K band or more, I'd think long and hard about discontinuing my use of the G2 in favor of my R7.
Absolutely! I am lucky enough to have K-band only used in my town and by metro motos and county Sheriffs. Plenty of Raptors and a few Patrols and V1G2 gives little to no warning against them.One encounter with a Decatur? at 24.150 and it was as bad or worse than the Raptors. On the interstates in Tennessee and surrounding states like Kentucky and Alabama it's 99% KA. V1G2 on the interstates, it kicks ass on KA and the R7 gets windshield time when I'm driving locally and it doesn't give up too much to V1G2 if I run up on KA.

Last edited:

westwind77

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've tried driving without K verifier, but it's no better against my Genesis ll K band I/O and falses like hell! I can't see any improvement against C/O either.
I was driving around today for a bit wonder WTH I was getting so many K false alerts with the G2 then laughed as I remembered I turned if off the other evening to see what would happen. You are absolutely correct, it falses like crazy with it off....that being said there was a mobile speed sign set up locally that the G2 alerted to further than it ever has before! Testing has shown a decent gain with it off and it seemed to show those colors for me today. Given the winter and less people in my 'tourist' area I might be able to swing it off for a bit to see how it goes but ultimately it is not the proper solution.

Being able to turn the filter off shows us exactly what the G2 is capable of detecting, any reduction is software/firmware based. It shows that VR, with the right improvements, can improve K-band should they so desire.

The RL360c has its own issues on K that need to be addressed as well.

I am excited to see how the R4 performs on K-band for sensitivity and reactivity. If it lives up to what I hope I will pick one up and run it in my K-band areas and save the G2 for longer road trips.

Both the RL & G2 could be incredible if they could just improve their K-band.

LQQK

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt!

I want to keep it simple like when I owned VG1, I had it set on "L" + no app for help.

I'm now using my iPhone with the VG2. I just wanna set the V on one of the modes and forget about whatever is going on except for the Cops...I must say, I'm overwhelmed!!!

Is "l" the way to go?

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt!

I want to keep it simple like when I owned VG1, I had it set on "L" + no app for help.

I'm now using my iPhone with the VG2. I just wanna set the V on one of the modes and forget about whatever is going on except for the Cops...I must say, I'm overwhelmed!!!

Is "l" the way to go?
There’s no single answer for this.
Basically:

A = everything that makes it through the built in low level filtering comes through as an alert.
“l” = Additional processing logic is done and alerts deemed non-urgent come in as muted until they become Urgent. On V1G1 this only applied to really weak X and K signals from behind (basically almost never did anything). On V1G2 this can include pairs of K band signals or other characteristics that can include moderately strong signals.
“L” = same logic as little “l” but instead of muting a signal it is completely removed from the display.

L gives you a really quiet K band ride if you don’t have a lot of K threats in your area. A or “l” are safer to use especially if you have low power K in the area. I like little “l” as long as you do a good job of looking at the screen and being aware of muted alerts.

LQQK

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
There’s no single answer for this.
Basically:

A = everything that makes it through the built in low level filtering comes through as an alert.
“l” = Additional processing logic is done and alerts deemed non-urgent come in as muted until they become Urgent. On V1G1 this only applied to really weak X and K signals from behind (basically almost never did anything). On V1G2 this can include pairs of K band signals or other characteristics that can include moderately strong signals.
“L” = same logic as little “l” but instead of muting a signal it is completely removed from the display.

L gives you a really quiet K band ride if you don’t have a lot of K threats in your area. A or “l” are safer to use especially if you have low power K in the area. I like little “l” as long as you do a good job of looking at the screen and being aware of muted alerts.

Thanks for the great info. I'll continue to use "l".

I need to learn what the #s mean when it goes off and tells me a series of #S behind or in front.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Today I was in GA and traveling pretty fast on a county road. My G2 is in logic mode and starts to alert to K band. Within 1-2 secs a cop rounds a bend coming in the opposite direction. I get my speed down to perhaps PSL+14 by the time I’m clearly in the kill zone. I thought for sure I was done for but luckily the cop didn’t turn around and nab me. I turned around myself and followed the cop in order to see if he was utilizing CO or IO. He clearly was using CO. I was extremely lucky but I am also extremely disappointed in the K band detection of the G2. Previously, I lived in an area that had zero K band threats but now I see K band all over my area. After this experience I am seriously reconsidering my DD RD.
Did the alert have a distance like the following?

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This is the best thread ever on the V1G2. I hope Michael can make a few tweaks.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I was driving around today for a bit wonder WTH I was getting so many K false alerts with the G2 then laughed as I remembered I turned if off the other evening to see what would happen. You are absolutely correct, it falses like crazy with it off....that being said there was a mobile speed sign set up locally that the G2 alerted to further than it ever has before! Testing has shown a decent gain with it off and it seemed to show those colors for me today. Given the winter and less people in my 'tourist' area I might be able to swing it off for a bit to see how it goes but ultimately it is not the proper solution.

Being able to turn the filter off shows us exactly what the G2 is capable of detecting, any reduction is software/firmware based. It shows that VR, with the right improvements, can improve K-band should they so desire.

The RL360c has its own issues on K that need to be addressed as well.

I am excited to see how the R4 performs on K-band for sensitivity and reactivity. If it lives up to what I hope I will pick one up and run it in my K-band areas and save the G2 for longer road trips.

Both the RL & G2 could be incredible if they could just improve their K-band.
I thought I could deal with K verifier off on my way back and forth to work this week. I was wrong! LMAO! I even ran little l and set silent ride to 50 mph! Even though the 200,000 alerts I was getting were muted, I could still see my phone scrolling non-stop with each and every one of them! Keep in mind that I'm driving in a rural area! It does add some range however, but it ain't worth it! During my lunch break I gave up and turned it back on.:negativeman-55f:

Last edited:

westwind77

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I thought I could deal with K verifier off on my way back and forth to work this week. I was wrong! LMAO! I even ran little l and set silent ride to 50 mph! Even though the 200,000 alerts I was getting were muted, I could still see my phone scrolling non-stop with each and every one of them! Keep in mind that I'm driving in a rural area! It does add some range however, but it ain't worth it! During my lunch break I gave up and turned it back on.:negativeman-55f:
I agree. I could not tolerate it anymore this afternoon and at a light turned it back on. With the amount of false alerts there would be no way to distinguish a real alert from a false until pretty close to the threat.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yikes. That seems pretty short.
That's one of the top preforming detectors on Ka. Nobody would claim it sucks on Ka.

My point is that some encounters are just really short.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That's one of the top preforming detectors on Ka. Nobody would claim it sucks on Ka.

My point is that some encounters are just really short.
That is a good point. I'll switch to "A" mode and stick with the G2 for a little longer. Perhaps I was just unlucky.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjmackay