My G2 gave me almost no warning today on K

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the K Band bitch club!
I've been bringing this shortcoming to light for months now. The G2 K band audible alerts are just shy of abysmal on many of my K Band encounters. It's the nature of the beast with BSM. No current detector can reliably filter out BSM's and be as good audibly on K band as they are on Ka band. Get used to it. When Theia comes to the marketplace next century we can finally get past this K Band shortcoming.
Yeah I find Big L mode to be giving me much lower range compared to AutoLoK on the MaxCam. The thing is, IMO the raw BSM filtering between these two detectors is about the same, both really good. The striking difference for me is that the MaxCam alerts to speed signs almost twice as far away in Auto compared to big-L. In A mode it’s a bit of a toss up. Sometimes the V1G2 alerts from the distance I expect and other times it seems to still suppress a speed sign for a long time and then it pops up at 3 bars and way too close.

When I tried K Verifier off it was more normal but it falsed a lot to both traffic flow sensors and BSM systems. Not sure what I would do in a K band risky area and the V1G2. There doesn’t seem to be a happy medium other than K Verifier + A and hope it never suppresses a real K threat.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I agree with everything that you posted @Bloovy One ! I still think that VR could compromise with those of us who are more into performance than filtering by opening up A mode and using l and L modes for all of the "normal" users that are so consumed with falses.

Kind of a custom pro K mode thing huh? I know it's been suggested. :)

Not directed at Kenny any longer. General comment below.

So, the K-band spectrum is saturated with signals in a large part of the occupied areas of the country. The noise from 4 door openers at a single grocery store (two main double doors) is likely considerable. Add in some spread-spectrum BSMs from a Ford or Toyota and some others and there's a ton of noise without any alerts happening from the driver's point of view.

Would people want to be alerted to at least 4 door signals and maybe the Mazda a quarter of a mile ahead instead of silence?

I think that's the difficulty of all manufacturers dealing with K-band. Unfiltered sounds great but the masses want the performance of a lone signal in an empty environment and they want to have it in a noise polluted environment because we can't tell when an environment is full of noise.

Turn off all filtering and drive around for a few days. :)
Post automatically merged:

No current detector can reliably filter out BSM's and be as good audibly on K band as they are on Ka band. Get used to it. When Theia comes to the marketplace next century we can finally get past this K Band shortcoming.
It will be interesting to see how Theia might deal with the noise floor in actual use. It might be the "magic bullet", but it very well might not be. The signal still needs to be sufficiently recognizable within the "soup" or else it's just noise.

Last edited:

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you think there are more k band threats in your area, your days of Big L are over.
Time to default to little l.
Today I was in GA and traveling pretty fast on a county road. My G2 is in logic mode and starts to alert to K band. Within 1-2 secs a cop rounds a bend coming in the opposite direction. I get my speed down to perhaps PSL+14 by the time I’m clearly in the kill zone. I thought for sure I was done for but luckily the cop didn’t turn around and nab me. I turned around myself and followed the cop in order to see if he was utilizing CO or IO. He clearly was using CO. I was extremely lucky but I am also extremely disappointed in the K band detection of the G2. Previously, I lived in an area that had zero K band threats but now I see K band all over my area. After this experience I am seriously reconsidering my DD RD.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Kind of a custom pro K mode thing huh? I know it's been suggested. :)

Not directed at Kenny any longer. General comment below.

So, the K-band spectrum is saturated with signals in a large part of the occupied areas of the country. The noise from 4 door openers at a single grocery store (two main double doors) is likely considerable. Add in some spread-spectrum BSMs from a Ford or Toyota and some others and there's a ton of noise without any alerts happening from the driver's point of view.

Would people want to be alerted to at least 4 door signals and maybe the Mazda a quarter of a mile ahead instead of silence?

I think that's the difficulty of all manufacturers dealing with K-band. Unfiltered sounds great but the masses want the performance of a lone signal in an empty environment and they want to have it in a noise polluted environment because we can't tell when an environment is full of noise.

Turn off all filtering and drive around for a few days. :)
I've tried driving without K verifier, but it's no better against my Genesis ll K band I/O and falses like hell! I can't see any improvement against C/O either.

r3MI

PSL +5
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
K-band can be hit or miss with the V1G2. I encounter a lot of K-band locally where I live, and I have had some good and very good detections with mostly C/O with a few I/O K-band encounters, and I have also had a few poor to fair encounters too.

I do not like K-band especially the low power K-band…lol. It can be nasty at times.

Against Forward Facing K-band radar, the V1G2 doesn’t do very well as a rule of thumb at least against the K-band guns that that I encounter. @elantra04 advised he was running Logic mode (little L), so it should perform similarly as All-Bogeys from a sensitivity standpoint.

I personally run my V1G2 in All-Bogeys mode pretty much all of the time due to the K-band use in my area.

My V1G2 is pretty quiet in the city with very good BSM filtering so that is the trade off for the sometimes less than spectacular K-band performance against some of the low powered guns.

As @Kennyc56 stated, the V1G2 doesn’t react the same way on K-band as it does on Ka-band.
The reason I won't buy a V1G2,

All the departments around me are installing and running the K Band, I see more K than KA now.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've tried driving without K verifier, but it's no better against my Genesis ll K band I/O and falses like hell! I can't see any improvement against C/O either.
Understood. What's the power output of that Genesis II?

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. Unfortunately I think the G2 may not be a good fit for my new area. It’s k band hell with many county roads where trees and bends make exceptional k band reactivity and performance a necessity. The G2 has almost cost me 2 tickets in 2 consecutive encounters now. I love it for its KA performance and jbv1 but it just seems incapable of providing me with even adequate protection against moving k band. My wife’s R7 may not be great but it’s k band performance is stellar in comparison. It’s a sad day :(
Post automatically merged:

Ah, in retrospect do you think what happened was you got a visual notice in little L but didn’t notice or heed it until it unmuted?
I began applying the break pedal as soon as the visual notification appeared on the G2 as k band falses are not all that common on this road.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
When tested the V1G2 was among the best for K band, quite good even with little l and worked particularly well off-axis.
I am surprised to hear this.
I thought the G2’s performance on K was much lower than the R7 and R360c.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's high power 24.150. My old G1 reacts to it before the button is all the way down along with all of my R1's, Redline-O's and even my Whistlers! On C/O however, the G2 is even or better than all of them, so it's a delay issue. On the 35.5 side however, my G2 punishes them all on Q/T, I/O, and C/O!

Last edited:

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

So here it is!

R7 seems better on what I assume in an on-axis test, but not significantly when we are dealing with ranges in excess of 500m.
1870 to 2384 I am guessing is around 25% longer range for r7 with comparable filtering.
This does not seem to explain your situation and by all accounts the G2 is better off-axis.
Low frequency k band is a different issue which I don't think is relevant here.
By all accounts the V1G2 is at least the equal of the R7 on Low Power K band.
I hope we get to the bottom of this issue.

1633977088402.png

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So here it is!

R7 seems better on what I assume in an on-axis test, but not significantly when we are dealing with ranges in excess of 500m.
1870 to 2384 I am guessing is around 30% longer range for r7 with comparable filtering.
This does not seem to explain your situation.

View attachment 190796
Looks like I'm going to have to play around with K verifier being off again! I only tried it once for a few miles and it drove me crazy! I couldn't tell any difference during my bench testing but maybe I didn't try hard enough! I always run A mode.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have to play around with K verifier being off again! I only tried it once for a few miles and it drove me crazy! I couldn't tell any difference during my bench testing but maybe I didn't try hard enough! I always run A mode.
I agree. Running with KV off is annoying. I am currently doing comparisons to show the differences in K filtering between detectors (unfortunately the only way I have found to do this with apples-to-apples comparisons is to run 2 detectors at the same time).

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So here it is!

1870 to 2384 I am guessing is around 25% longer range for r7 with comparable filtering.
This does not seem to explain your situation and by all accounts the G2 is better off-axis.

View attachment 190796
But that’s equal with K Verifier off. Once KV is on, it seems like it takes a pretty large range hit and then KV + L results in the lowest K range, even compared to the Pro M and Max on auto and other detectors considered low performing on K. Or am I missing something?

I will add that there’s something wonky about KV mode in the real world. Maybe the presence of nearby BSM or K pollution plays a role but in the real world I feel like I’ve seen really unpredictable K performance on the V1G2 when K Verifier is doing its job.

mikedotd

Arrow Enthusiast
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So here it is!

View attachment 190796

On Ka band the V1G2 does have notable off-axis abilities, but it's been my experience that the V1G2 is less likely to alert to off-axis K band signals, at least with K Verifier on.

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
On Ka band the V1G2 does have notable off-axis abilities, but it's been my experience that the V1G2 is less likely to alert to off-axis K band signals, at least with K Verifier on.
I hate to say it but I draw some parallels between the V1G2 K Verifier and some of Stinger’s magical black box filtering. Often in standard isolated tests it behaves in a reasonable acceptable way but it doesn’t fully explain some of the observations we make in real world driving. The filtering does something inconsistent based off of variables we aren’t controlling for.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
But that’s equal with K Verifier off. Once KV is on, it seems like it takes a pretty large range hit and then KV + L results in the lowest K range, even compared to the Pro M and Max on auto and other detectors considered low performing on K. Or am I missing something?

I will add that there’s something wonky about KV mode in the real world. Maybe the presence of nearby BSM or K pollution plays a role but in the real world I feel like I’ve seen really unpredictable K performance on the V1G2 when K Verifier is doing its job.
Yeah, I think you may be missing something. L mode results in roughly the same performance as City on the R7. At times it's better, other times it's worse. The reason for this is that L mode isn't a simple sensitivity cutting function like Auto or City modes, it is looking at the number of signals as well as using persistence to judge if to alert. I am sure there are other things going on that affect it, but overall it's roughly akin to running City mode on the R7.

KV seems to work fine in the real world for me, it does a great job of getting rid of a lot of noise. With the R7, I have to turn TSF on and MRCD on to even come close to getting that kind of filtering. And the range of the R7 and V1G2 are very similar when both have their traffic monitoring sensor filters turned on. When you turn them off on both, again the ranges are very similar (and the false alerts between the 2 are also very similar in this configuration)

I do wish VR would refine the reactivity on K band and would offer more options in K filtering so we could have more choice in what level of noise we wish to be exposed to. Either that or make the KV so damned efficient that you wouldn't even consider turning it off.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

When tested the V1G2 was among the best for K band, quite good even with little l and worked particularly well off-axis.
I am surprised to hear this.
I'm not sure why the G2's K performance is a surprise at this point. There's been so much testing and real world encounters that I would have hoped there would be a general consensus around here at this point.

The G2's filtering doesn't like the Decatur guns, causing a long delay in alerting to them. We've known this since May of 2020.
The G2 also performs worse against low power K (Kustom and Stalker Patrol) than the other top detectors. This is most likely also due to it's filtering and trying to silence false alerts.

@elantra04 's encounter doesn't surprise me in the least, especially if the frequency was in the 24.125 range which is where the low power lives.

I run the G2 even knowing this though I'm mighty careful when I go through the localities that run low power around me. Luckily I still face mostly Ka band. If I faced 50% K band or more, I'd think long and hard about discontinuing my use of the G2 in favor of my R7.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjmackay