My G2 gave me almost no warning today on K

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Today I was in GA and traveling pretty fast on a county road. My G2 is in logic mode and starts to alert to K band. Within 1-2 secs a cop rounds a bend coming in the opposite direction. I get my speed down to perhaps PSL+14 by the time I’m clearly in the kill zone. I thought for sure I was done for but luckily the cop didn’t turn around and nab me. I turned around myself and followed the cop in order to see if he was utilizing CO or IO. He clearly was using CO. I was extremely lucky but I am also extremely disappointed in the K band detection of the G2. Previously, I lived in an area that had zero K band threats but now I see K band all over my area. After this experience I am seriously reconsidering my DD RD.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Was he running a front or rear antenna?
What was behind him to reflect a signal if it was a rear antenna?
Post automatically merged:

Do you have a log / map of the incident?

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Was he running a front or rear antenna?
What was behind him to reflect a signal if it was a rear antenna?
Post automatically merged:

Do you have a log / map of the incident?
I wasn’t running jbv1 at the time unfortunately. There were cars behind him. No street signs. Just trees. It’s pretty rural.

NoahWL

KEEP RIGHT
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Lots of trees between you and him before he rounded the bend? A video or picture (even from Google Street View) would be helpful.

When you say your G2 started to alert to K band, do you mean it showed up as one bar on the display but muted, or it had just then ramped up past the logic mode mute?

Unfortunately in some situations you just have to have a rabbit to reflect some signal back to you. I hate to say it because they're practically nonexistent where I drive, but if you don't have one at some speeds in tough terrain you are taking a risk. Especially against K with the G2.

It sounds like in this particular case A mode may have given you another second or two to react. IMO the G2's ramp up on K is much too lazy to run in anything but A mode in K territory.

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you mean little-L or big-L mode? I find the V1G2 logic analyzer is too harsh to be trusted for around the bend K band encounters like what you are describing. Heck some people even find the BSM filter on the V1G2 to be too much against low power K guns.

RDNXXX

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I just had my V1 G2 a week now, previously ran R7. Not to happy with V1G2 K band performance with Kverifier on.
ill probably run it with Kverifer off and take the noisy active V1 G2, additionally what i have noticed is that MRCD detection is horrible vs R7 and that even with Kverifier off its still a little weak in sensitivity with respect to MRCD.
Anyway i believe things will get better over time, at least that is my hope.

mikedotd

Arrow Enthusiast
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just had my V1 G2 a week now, previously ran R7. Not to happy with V1G2 K band performance with Kverifier on.
ill probably run it with Kverifer off and take the noisy active V1 G2, additionally what i have noticed is that MRCD detection is horrible vs R7 and that even with Kverifier off its still a little weak in sensitivity with respect to MRCD.
Anyway i believe things will get better over time, at least that is my hope.

Do you still have the R7? If you have to resort to running the V1G2 with KVerifier off (which I can't even imagine doing in my environment), I think you're going to be much better off with the R7.

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have had some V1G2 K alerts that were pretty good, but some that were pretty sad. I think it's a filtering issue.

I hope Mikey can give us an update soon!

ZaslonV1G2

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Most legit K band alerts I've had with V1 Gen 2 were 'JTK moments'. I had a few seconds to slow down.

I've switched to DS1 and eventho it's nosier it's also much better on K band.

biolink

Corgi Lovers
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Most legit K band alerts I've had with V1 Gen 2 were 'JTK moments'. I had a few seconds to slow down.

I've switched to DS1 and eventho it's nosier it's also much better on K band.
I agree with both points made. V1G2 does a great job keeping K noise down, but legit K does suffer because of it. I had a DS1 for a few weeks and found it to be way too noisy. The K performance gains were simply not worth it IMO.

Raise your hand when you get sick of my K finds on my drive to the river. LOL. Today I was simply taking my new ride for a spin and found a terrain limited moving CO K. On my way home I found his buddy on more of a straight road, also moving C0. You can see there is hope with K if the road permits. If not, slow down.

This hit has elevation and axis change. I am climbing into the kill zone.. Result: No Warning.

Screenshot_20211010-165354_JBV1.jpg

This hit is on a straight road with a slight vertical curve, very little elevation change. When I saw him he was stopped at the light, so I'm not sure the exact alert range as he could have been mobile for part of the alert. Either way, comparing the two, you can easily see how the low power K is killed by elevation and axis change.

Screenshot_20211010-165524_JBV1.jpg

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I finally got hit with some "real" K band up in PA. this weekend! I was actually surprised how good it did against both C/O and I/O. I'm sure from the way it reacted that it wasn't low powered. It's still nowhere near how it reacts to Ka band however.

RoadDogg

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
K-band can be hit or miss with the V1G2. I encounter a lot of K-band locally where I live, and I have had some good and very good detections with mostly C/O with a few I/O K-band encounters, and I have also had a few poor to fair encounters too.

I do not like K-band especially the low power K-band…lol. It can be nasty at times.

Against Forward Facing K-band radar, the V1G2 doesn’t do very well as a rule of thumb at least against the K-band guns that that I encounter. @elantra04 advised he was running Logic mode (little L), so it should perform similarly as All-Bogeys from a sensitivity standpoint.

I personally run my V1G2 in All-Bogeys mode pretty much all of the time due to the K-band use in my area.

My V1G2 is pretty quiet in the city with very good BSM filtering so that is the trade off for the sometimes less than spectacular K-band performance against some of the low powered guns.

As @Kennyc56 stated, the V1G2 doesn’t react the same way on K-band as it does on Ka-band.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
K-band can be hit or miss with the V1G2. I encounter a lot of K-band locally where I live, and I have had some good and very good detections with mostly C/O with a few I/O K-band encounters, and I have also had a few poor to fair encounters too.

I do not like K-band especially the low power K-band…lol. It can be nasty at times.

Against Forward Facing K-band radar, the V1G2 doesn’t do very well as a rule of thumb at least against the K-band guns that that I encounter. @elantra04 advised he was running Logic mode (little L), so it should perform similarly as All-Bogeys from a sensitivity standpoint.

I personally run my V1G2 in All-Bogeys mode pretty much all of the time due to the K-band use in my area.

My V1G2 is pretty quiet in the city with very good BSM filtering so that is the trade off for the sometimes less than spectacular K-band performance against some of the low powered guns.

As @Kennyc56 stated, the V1G2 doesn’t react the same way on K-band as it does on Ka-band.
No detector does great against forward-facing K band. But the V1G2 isn't terrible when compared to its peers in Forward-Facing situations.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sometimes it seems that we collectively are viewing the radar detection process as a binary 0 or 1 concept. If there's any radar ahead, it either detects (1) or doesn't (0).

The world is way more complicated than that. Anything that reaches out of the technological hardware box interacts with the world in an analog fashion. Being analog, there's tons of variables and percentages of every value in those variables.

Radar is influenced by direction, elevation off of the surface, moisture in the air, surrounding structures, multi-path distortion, the noise floor of other signals in the area, etc.
Additionally, different radar guns can put out vastly different amounts of power.

A detector that alerts full-tilt to everything is not useful for everyone. A detector that spends too much time verifying a signal before presenting an alert isn't either.

It's all a balance of all the variables and manufacturers have to tune for the most common scenarios which might mean that the rare signal that doesn't match the qualifications for whatever reason might be delayed.

None of this can even be truly tested accurately without eliminating every other variable which is tough to do when the wind blows, there are temperature/air pressure changes, vehicles moving on the road, static reflections that can create radar hotspots and so on.

There's a reason that large, empty car manufacturer proving grounds where used when car magazines did tests.

GTO_04

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That is how the V1G2 reacts to the Stalker Patrol K band around curves. All my RDs struggle with it, but the V1G2 struggles even worse. On a straight road, even over a hill, makes a HUGE difference in detection range. At least in sharp curves, the cosine error is going to help you some. It would be nice to see some kill zone testing with the Stalker Patrol. IMHO it is more difficult to pick up than even the Falcon HR.

Next time you encounter it, look for a totally black antenna. That will most likely indicate a Stalker Patrol.

GTO_04

Buz

Old School Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Today I was in GA and traveling pretty fast on a county road. My G2 is in logic mode and starts to alert to K band. Within 1-2 secs a cop rounds a bend coming in the opposite direction. I get my speed down to perhaps PSL+14 by the time I’m clearly in the kill zone. I thought for sure I was done for but luckily the cop didn’t turn around and nab me. I turned around myself and followed the cop in order to see if he was utilizing CO or IO. He clearly was using CO. I was extremely lucky but I am also extremely disappointed in the K band detection of the G2. Previously, I lived in an area that had zero K band threats but now I see K band all over my area. After this experience I am seriously reconsidering my DD RD.
Welcome to the K Band bitch club!
I've been bringing this shortcoming to light for months now. The G2 K band audible alerts are just shy of abysmal on many of my K Band encounters. It's the nature of the beast with BSM. No current detector can reliably filter out BSM's and be as good audibly on K band as they are on Ka band. Get used to it. When Theia comes to the marketplace next century we can finally get past this K Band shortcoming.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sometimes it seems that we collectively are viewing the radar detection process as a binary 0 or 1 concept. If there's any radar ahead, it either detects (1) or doesn't (0).

The world is way more complicated than that. Anything that reaches out of the technological hardware box interacts with the world in an analog fashion. Being analog, there's tons of variables and percentages of every value in those variables.

Radar is influenced by direction, elevation off of the surface, moisture in the air, surrounding structures, multi-path distortion, the noise floor of other signals in the area, etc.
Additionally, different radar guns can put out vastly different amounts of power.

A detector that alerts full-tilt to everything is not useful for everyone. A detector that spends too much time verifying a signal before presenting an alert isn't either.

It's all a balance of all the variables and manufacturers have to tune for the most common scenarios which might mean that the rare signal that doesn't match the qualifications for whatever reason might be delayed.

None of this can even be truly tested accurately without eliminating every other variable which is tough to do when the wind blows, there are temperature/air pressure changes, vehicles moving on the road, static reflections that can create radar hotspots and so on.

There's a reason that large, empty car manufacturer proving grounds where used when car magazines did tests.
I agree with everything that you posted @Bloovy One ! I still think that VR could compromise with those of us who are more into performance than filtering by opening up A mode and using l and L modes for all of the "normal" users that are so consumed with falses.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjmackay