Uniden R4 Pricing

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's now on the right side...where it belongs...lol
When Mr Wright would write right, he was rightly asked if he meant right or meant to write "correct", which would have been right. 🤔

Last edited:

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hey I paid $450 for my Redline O 10 years ago. It was selling up over $600 when it came out. Besides the lack of BSM filtering it still works, 10 years later.

If you buy one for $450 and it legitimately saves you twice (exclusively the detector) then it paid for itself 100%. You have recovered your entire investment plus the time saved and feeling of freedom and control, situational awareness you had in your environment puts that return way in the green.

All that said, I’m still not interested in any more atto products at this time. I went through 2 R1 (one purchased at $299, one warranty replacement) in less than 2 years. I want to say the higher prices are in line with inflation but the quality just wasn’t there.
Sounds like a G2 would hold you over until Theia arrives. Plus, they you’ll likely get most of your money back when you sell it.

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Sounds like a G2 would hold you over until Theia arrives. Plus, they you’ll likely get most of your money back when you sell it.
Lol I am definitely covered. I sold the r1 (as broken) and already sold the r7 that I replaced it with. I probably won't sell either of my gen2, in fact, I sort of regret trading in my v1 on gen2 #2. And I pretty much regretted getting the RL360 even more after I got stuck with it. Live and learn, I suppose.

I was mostly pointing out that the sticker shock will wear off and also that the atto detectors could go down in price after the first 6 months to a year. Maybe longer.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Lol I am definitely covered. I sold the r1 (as broken) and already sold the r7 that I replaced it with. I probably won't sell either of my gen2, in fact, I sort of regret trading in my v1 on gen2 #2. And I pretty much regretted getting the RL360 even more after I got stuck with it. Live and learn, I suppose.

I was mostly pointing out that the sticker shock will wear off and also that the atto detectors could go down in price after the first 6 months to a year. Maybe longer.
Agreed. Especially now that I live in K band hell, I’d pay a lot of money for a RD that can give me incredible range and tell the difference between a legitimate and non legitimate k band source.

raqball

beep, beep
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you buy one for $450 and it legitimately saves you twice (exclusively the detector) then it paid for itself 100%.
At $450 if it saves you once you've probably came out ahead when you factor in the ticket price, all the add ins to the ticket (court cost, this fee, that fee, another fee ect) and the increase in insurance premiums..

Insurance premium hikes from one speeding ticket alone can cost you a 10%-20% increase for years.. That alone might be $450 or more...

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Haha I've only gotten a $500 speeding ticket once. They usually ran me between 150 and 300....and my insurance was always in the high risk category til my 30s... I'm just not living, apparently.
At $450 if it saves you once you've probably came out ahead when you factor in the ticket price, all the add ins to the ticket (court cost, this fee, that fee, another fee ect) and the increase in insurance premiums..

Insurance premium hikes from one speeding ticket alone can cost you a 10%-20% increase for years.. That alone might be $450 or more...

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Easily 450 when everything is factored in.

VariableWave

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I am going with $560 MSRP.... and BRD saying $449 being the right number as he is going to sale it.

One thing to remember, the R7 was much more when it came out, before it dropped to todays number we see,

wellfleetion

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
All these radar detectors need styling cues from Apple or something. None are very good looking and there's no reason for that considering the money being shelled out.

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
All these radar detectors need styling cues from Apple or something. None are very good looking and there's no reason for that considering the money being shelled out.
I would love to see cleaner-looking detectors overall. But there are certainly reasons that we get what we get.

Many RD buyers are highly price-sensitive. If the manufacturers spend extra money on the design and try to pass the cost on to customers, a lot of customers will buy a cheaper detector that doesn't look as pretty and performs similarly.

And the RD market is very small compared to something like cell phones or laptops. So if you try to eat the cost of the extra design effort and make up for your slimmer profits with volume, there may just not be enough volume to balance the scales.

Many detector enthusiasts often don't care about style. You'll see users on this forum, which generally attracts the people who care the most about their detectors, saying things like they'd buy a detector that looked like, and I quote, "a coiled turd," if it offered the best performance. That's not everyone, but it's not an uncommon position.

Which is somewhat understandable. Detectors aren't especially meant to be seen. You don't set them on the table for everyone to admire when you meet up with friends like people do with their iWidgets.

Shiny and pretty means attractive to thieves, noticeable to cops, and the occasional stabbing glare in your eye as it catches the sun while driving. So even an ideally designed detector isn't going to have a whole lot of "wow" factor.

Of the current offerings, Valentine probably put the most effort into design. And to me it is a very nice looking unit. But beauty is always in the eye of the beer-holder as they say, so maybe that doesn't do it for you. I think Radenso is moving in a good direction with the DS1. Clean, simple, unfussy, nice screen. Nothing to really be offended by.

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Not a widely used detector, but the Genevo Max is beautiful!!

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yea, eye of beholder and all that...
But I had one for a while, and it is a lot better in real life and many others have praised its solid build.
It is small, compact, great quality plastic, shiny, solid.
Aesthetically it is much more pleasing than my R7! But...€660 is a lot of dosh just to find out! :)

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Is it, though?

It looks like someone in 1986 penned the design based on instructions to make it look like the future.

View attachment 191040

Yeah, that’s pretty ugly! Oh wait, that was supposed to be the best looking one? 🤣

I’m in the camp of performance first, if it doesn’t look like a coiled turd that’s a plus.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjmackay