Why have we abandoned the CB?

kwthom

n00b retiree
Intermediate User
Reaction score
<...>but still like seeing the CB radio getting something new...

CB getting FM
Damn - this should have happened ten or twenty years ago.

That means those out-of-spec radios that have FM capabilities out there today will have someone to legally chat with when it passes the FCC.

Last edited:

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
That means those out-of-spec radios that have FM capabilities out there today will have someone to legally chat with when it passes the FCC.
Not true, just because the FCC is legalizing FM does NOT make your old illegal radio legal, all radios used to transmit on CB must be Part 95 certified first before going on the air.

stamp4

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've been a truck driver almost my whole life...I'm now 53. Most still do have CB's in our trucks but TBO, mine is off more than on for most of the reasons others have mentioned on here already.. the non-stop F"ing this and F that, arguing over politics, CELLPHONES with no range limit, the list goes on and on. It just gets to where it wears you out being in a rig for 13-14 hours a day and having to listen to it nonstop. Trust me!! Here's a true story though... About 6 or so years ago I was tooling down the highway and it was night, like midnight. I was doin a good 15 over the limit when my RD went off. I hit the jake brake and hoped for the best! About a half mile later coming over a hill I pass a state patrol rolling north on the other side of the 4 lane. Now in a semi you DO NOT just jam the brakes like in a car fellas. If the cop sees your tail lights shining like a Christmas tree as he hits the radar gun, yep! You just got pulled over and got a ticket, your RD confiscated, and A nice FAT fine for having a RD in a commercial vehicle which is illegal in all 48 states. Well I get on the ol CB and holler out the smokey report of a "full grown bear at mile marker *** rolling north bound taking pictures". As I was broadcasting the smokey report, he hits the radar gun and clocks someone again and my RD is SCREAMING in my CB mic!! O SH*T!! A few seconds later the COP gets on the CB and says" If I knew which one of you had the RD I would pull you over and bust your ass!!" Luckily for me there was 3-4 other trucks around me on the highway within a mile or so and he couldn't tell which one of us was giving the bear report but that was a learning lesson for me. I now turn my RD off before I key up the mic. HAHA. Have a good day guys

Lucky225

Advanced User
Reaction score
Well, type accepted, but yes. Everyone on CB follows the rules to the letter :)
certified - did I stutter? :p Okay, yes such certification is based on type acceptance, but it is still considered 'certified'.

§ 95.335 Operation of non-certified transmitters prohibited.​

Except as provided in paragraph (a) of this section, no person shall operate a transmitter in any Personal Radio Service unless it is a certified transmitter; that is, a transmitter of a type which has obtained a grant of equipment certification for that service, pursuant to part 2, subpart J of this chapter. Use of a transmitter that is not FCC-certified voids the user's authority to operate that station. See sections 302(a), (b), and (e) of the Communications Act (47 U.S.C. 302(a), (b), and (e)).

(a) Exceptions. Under certain exceptions, non-certified Personal Radio Service transmitters, or transmitters certified for use in the land mobile radio services may be operated. Any such exceptions applicable to stations in a Personal Radio Service are set forth in the subpart governing that specific service. See e.g., §§ 95.735 and 95.1735.

(b) Revoked or withdrawn certification. In the event that the FCC revokes or withdraws a grant of equipment certification for a type of Personal Radio Service transmitter, existing transmitters already in service may continue to be operated unless and until the FCC determines otherwise and gives Public Notice of that decision.

YelloEye

Corgi Lovers
Intermediate User
Reaction score
For me just getting into radio, going with GMRS made more sense. Higher TX power, more compact antennas, relatively cheap HT units available, repeater capabilities for significantly longer range.

bluehemi

4 more years 🤣
Advanced User
Reaction score
When I went through vegas I couldn't transmit because idiots with high powered base stations hogging the air. I gave up on it a few months back, its fun when you have a convoy of vehicles though

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ahh yes, I recall the days of always parking outside. My antenna was too tall on the top of my truck and too rigid to allow access to parking garages. I had a work radio in the same truck as my CB and every so often work would come on and tell me I was bleeding over. I had a scanner, work radio, and CB all in a stack. A nice little amp and tuned mike by the guy at one of the local truck stops. Echo and big sound, ha. It was fun for a while and like others here before cell phones were common to have. I did have a beeper at the time but not the same.

I eventually hung up the CB and moved into amateur radio where I still spend time.

Nerd

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
You make all completely valid points and the dopamine hit is a very real issue that I hadn't previously thought of.

Still, I think it's an under utilized resource for reporting cops in motion. I'd like to see further adoption in our community - I'm just unsure what to do other than keep using my own and keep telling people about how great I think it is
Post automatically merged:

Ahh yes, I recall the days of always parking outside. My antenna was too tall on the top of my truck and too rigid to allow access to parking garages. I had a work radio in the same truck as my CB and every so often work would come on and tell me I was bleeding over. I had a scanner, work radio, and CB all in a stack. A nice little amp and tuned mike by the guy at one of the local truck stops. Echo and big sound, ha. It was fun for a while and like others here before cell phones were common to have. I did have a beeper at the time but not the same.

I eventually hung up the CB and moved into amateur radio where I still spend time.
I'm getting into amateur and it's a lot of fun, but I definitely think CB is underutilized within this community

Last edited:

Blasirl

Bring Order to Chaos
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
America's Dairyland - Smell our Dairy Air!
I’m almost 50 years old and I don’t ever recall a C.B. being popular that I can remember, no one I knew used one, I think they ran their course in time like Kmart and they are now a thing of the past.
Some of the major car manufacturers offered combo radios that included CB.

Nerd

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Some of the major car manufacturers offered combo radios that included CB.
Fresh out of the factory? Who ? I've never heard of this

Nerd

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Ultrafudd

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Interesting !
I had an AMC in the 80's with an AMC branded AM/CB radio.
I also had a CB for my car’s in-dash radio. On an ‘83 Benz 240D, it was AM / FM / CB with a cassette tape player. The thing was the schitz because you could set it to music and when the CB broke squelch it would mute the music.

When it finally crapped out, I traded it out for my first CD player (AM / FM /CD).

After 13 years and 240k miles, went through more radios than motors. It was still a runner with original motor & trans when I sold it to a farmer for $4k in 1995. 😁

RadarScout

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Fresh out of the factory? Who ? I've never heard of this
When I first got married, my then father-in-law, was a regional manager for Jim Walters Homes. They had given him a 1979 Mercury Grand Marquis, which he gave to us when he received a newer vehicle. It had a CB/am/FM stereo. Like mentioned above, when a strong enough signal was received, it would mute the stereo until the signal was weak enough.
That was a nice riding car, but it was really too big for my liking. You had to take it to the airport just to turn it around.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjmackay