Any iPhone users planning on switching to the Pixel 6?

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I’m a longtime iPhone user and general apple lover but I’ve been unimpressed by the last few iPhone revisions (including the 13). The upcoming pixel 6 looks tempting. The upgrade incentives for the iPhone are amazing but I’m also trying to balance that with some frustrating limitations with iOS. For example, I’m more interested in features that make my life easier rather than fancy screens and cameras. For example, the pixel has an always on display which would likely save me from turning on my iPhone display a 100+ times per day to make sure I haven’t missed a message/call. I also realized that the automation functions of iOS are very limited when compared with android apps like macro droid and tasked. For example, automating the turning on and off of certain vpns depending on Wi-Fi or cellular is not possible with iOS, which really bugs me.

Any other iPhone users considering switching?

jestric

Go Gators!
Premium Plus
Corgi Lovers
Intermediate User
Reaction score
D284338D-59D3-4AAA-95C0-1F00918E93C4.gif

Maybe not. 😉😂

Last edited:

RaggedEdge

RDForum owner and Rdtalk.org Founder
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've got a Pixel 5 and like the size of it, I'm not a fan of the Pixel 6 form factor. That said, I think it's tough to switch from the Apple Ecosystem to the Android one and vis versa. I'm entrenched in Googles web, don't see myself changing to Apple at this point.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've got a Pixel 5 and like the size of it, I'm not a fan of the Pixel 6 form factor. That said, I think it's tough to switch from the Apple Ecosystem to the Android one and vis versa. I'm entrenched in Googles web, don't see myself changing to Apple at this point.
Makes sense. I thought about this last night and realized even though I use an iPhone, I primarily use google software (gmail for email, google maps, etc). I don’t really rely on anything apple specific other than safari (faster than chrome on iOS). I don’t use iCloud, Apple Pay, iTunes, podcasts, and I’m not an avid user of the camera. All my apps I have installed are free so I don’t have a lot invested in apple specific apps. I do like iMessage though.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, I've considered it. If I do move to Android at some point, it will almost certainly be to a Pixel. After weighing the options, I've decided to go ahead and bite the bullet with the iPhone 13 Pro for my wife and 13 Pro Max for me. If after a couple years we decide the Android side of things has gotten to the point it's worth the hassle to switch, we'll do it then. I don't see any phone manufacturer revolutionizing things in the next 2 or 3 years like Apple did with the original iPhone, but I've been wrong before. There's a lot to love about each platform, but we're already in the Apple one at the moment, and nothing's reached critical mass to prompt a switch.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yeah, I've considered it. If I do move to Android at some point, it will almost certainly be to a Pixel. After weighing the options, I've decided to go ahead and bite the bullet with the iPhone 13 Pro for my wife and 13 Pro Max for me. If after a couple years we decide the Android side of things has gotten to the point it's worth the hassle to switch, we'll do it then. I don't see any phone manufacturer revolutionizing things in the next 2 or 3 years like Apple did with the original iPhone, but I've been wrong before. There's a lot to love about each platform, but we're already in the Apple one at the moment, and nothing's reached critical mass to prompt a switch.
I basically just made the same decision as you did. Verizon’s trade in deal is insane. $1000 for my 2 year old iPhone 11 Pro Max. Basically it costs me nearly nothing to get a new phone.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that perhaps jailbreaking the phone may achieve my goal of needing a few tweaks that apple currently doesn’t allow. Anyone still jailbreak their iPhones in 2021?

SaberOne

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
I've been an Apple products consumer since 1983. I agree with you that the last few iPhones have been somewhat lackluster with plenty of iOS bugs. I'm seriously considering the Pixel 6 Pro, and I wish I held off on the 12 Max.

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I mean if you want your friends to remove you when they see the green text bubbles…..

There is actually a pretty complicated way to set up an iMessage bridge server to run iMessage on an android but in the end I decided to get a 13 pro max. The trade in offer was hard to turn down. Still wish apple allowed sophisticated users the ability to run apps like tasker though. iOS shortcuts are lame.
Post automatically merged:

I've been an Apple products consumer since 1983. I agree with you that the last few iPhones have been somewhat lackluster with plenty of iOS bugs. I'm seriously considering the Pixel 6 Pro, and I wish I held off on the 12 Max.
Android is still kinda a hot mess. Even version 12 still feels laggy and unpolished. For example, swiping back in chrome on android to go back in your browser history is not instantaneous like in iOS. It’s little things like that that annoy me to no end.

Last edited:

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
So, my new pro max is back ordered for another week or so. I see that the pixel 6 will be released on October 19. Part of me wants to cancel the pro max order and see what the pixel 6 can do. But part of me knows it still won’t match the smoothness and “it just works” engineering of the iPhone I’ve grown accustomed to. When I use my pixel 3 (my project phone for jbv1) it just feels so laggy in comparison to my 11 pro. I know it has different specs but for gods sake why doesn’t chrome on android move as fluidly as safari does on iOS?

solort

Learning to Fly
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
The Huawei P30 Pro has been an awesome dual sim phone for the last 2 years. Haven't found a newer phone that will do 50x zoom as well.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The Huawei P30 Pro has been an awesome dual sim phone for the last 2 years.
I haven’t had to deal with multiple sims, partly because when traveling internationally I just used the international roaming feature of my plan, but does the newfangled eSIM also get the job done? Or are they a problem compared to physical slots?

CobawLT2010

I am a still small voice of calm and reason.
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I enjoy my eSim (VZW) and sim (Comcast MVNO) on my iPhone.

eSim is work… so I don’t have to carry around two phones…

Last edited:

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was in a sams club today and decided to check out the Samsung s21 5G and Flip3 they had available. I’ve never used a top tier android phone and I figured it would give me a good feel for what the pixel 6 will be like. I was not impressed. It did seem marginally faster than my pixel 3xl but there is still this lack of smoothness and polish that you get with iOS. Browsing the web using chrome is just an odd experience compared with safari on iOS 15. You definitely give up some customization (how I would love to have macrodroid or tasker on my iPhone!), but I’m not sure that’s worth the decidedly mediocre user experience.

gorgid

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Once you surrounded by Apple Echo System its really hard to switch. I also have 13 Pro Max and i'm finishing second day with no charging at 30% remaining. Hard not to like it. For longer trips and need of JBV1 i have android tablet and another android phone that i can use via hotspot. I'm not an Apple fan just fan of any good product.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's so funny to me how where Apple leads everyone else follows. That's not just in huge, revolutionary ways like the original iPhone. Google made a huge deal about making fun of Apple for getting rid of the headphone jack. Like, invested large amounts of money to harp on it. And for not including a charger in the box. And so on.

What about the Pixel 6? No headphone jack. No charger in the box. Even the packaging itself is modeled after the iPhone, not just in size but the lack of plastic wrap and the little peel tabs to break the sticker keeping it closed, all of it. Ell oh ell at silly Apple with their bigger camera bump, right? Now we have a freakin' front car bumper style visor across the entire width of the Pixel.

I still think I'd get a Pixel if I got an Android phone. Even though it's somehow a big deal to promise 5 years of "security updates" when full iOS versions are available farther back than that. I just wish the hurr hurr mouthbreather fanboys would take a step back and take developments in the industry in stride. They're going to have to deal with them at some point.

Last edited:

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's so funny to me how where Apple leads everyone else follows. That's not just in huge, revolutionary ways like the original iPhone. Google made a huge deal about making fun of Apple for getting rid of the headphone jack. Like, invested large amounts of money to harp on it. And for not including a charger in the box. And so on.
Let's see, Apple is responsible for:
1. Google removing the headphone jack on my Pixel 4, which means I have to carry a separate adapter to listen to stuff on airplanes.
2. The use of nanoSIM cards, which are so small they are easily lost.
3. Phones that are too big to hold comfortably (the iPhone4/Nexus One were the perfect size).
4. Lightning cables, which aren't compatible with anything else.

And of course, iOS probably has the least flexible VPN architecture of any major OS out there. That's probably why iOS is always the first platform that gets blocked and the last one that gets fixed after China tinkers with their damn firewall.

That's why I don't have an iOS device.
What about the Pixel 6? No headphone jack. No charger in the box. Even the packaging itself is modeled after the iPhone, not just in size but the lack of plastic wrap and the little peel tabs to break the sticker keeping it closed, all of it. Ell oh ell at silly Apple with their bigger camera bump, right? Now we have a freakin' front car bumper style visor across the entire width of the Pixel.

I still think I'd get a Pixel if I got an Android phone. Even though it's somehow a big deal to promise 5 years of "security updates" when full iOS versions are available farther back than that.
I don't think it's been entirely Google's fault that Pixel phones are only supported for ~3 years. And it looks like that's the reason why they decided to finally dump Qualcomm's SnapCrapdragon chips in the Pixel 6. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-of-security-updates-749-and-1049-price-tags/

elantra04

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I will say (and I’m not even sure this is iOS fault) but I use a paid vpn at work to connect to their guest WiFi since I don’t want them seeing I check RDF all day :). I use PIA VPN and the damn app disconnects me a lot during the day. With my pixel 3a with the same app, it works flawlessly. It’s infuriating.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDude