Help with decision for good, but simple, radar detector for wife!

AnthonySzum

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm in eastern NC near Greenville. These Troopers in this part of the state are ruthless with I/O! If I faced any K band, especially I/O I'd be SOL with my G2 as well! The RL360C has incredible range and hopefully that will help out by picking it up well before you're in the kill zone.
What is it about the G2 and I/O K band? I know it's not as sensitive as, say an R7, but wouldn't still give decent warning from cars up ahead getting shot?
I'm asking because I just ordered the G2 as my first RD

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
What is it about the G2 and I/O K band? I know it's not as sensitive as, say an R7, but wouldn't still give decent warning from cars up ahead getting shot?
Yes, it does. It's just not as fast as we expect it to be with certain types of guns in certain situations.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The G2 is second to none against 33.8, 34.7 and 35.5 Q/T and I/O! It's impossible to squeeze a shot passed it! On K band however it's good on C/O and against some K band guns it does OK against I/O, but nothing like it does on Ka band. Against the Genesis ll like I own it still has around a 1.5 second delay on 24.150. If you never face I/O K band like me, you'll be fine. I just wish VR would take care of this already! I own 2 G2's and they are both incredible detectors! They are my weapons of choice along with JBV1. If VR will spice up K band, the G2 will be the perfect detector for those like me who are 99% about all out performance and 1% about filtering!

AnthonySzum

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes, it does. It's just not as fast as we expect it to be with certain types of guns in certain situations.

The G2 is second to none against 33.8, 34.7 and 35.5 Q/T and I/O! It's impossible to squeeze a shot passed it! On K band however it's good on C/O and against some K band guns it does OK against I/O, but nothing like it does on Ka band. Against the Genesis ll like I own it still has around a 1.5 second delay on 24.150. If you never face I/O K band like me, you'll be fine. I just wish VR would take care of this already! I own 2 G2's and they are both incredible detectors! They are my weapons of choice along with JBV1. If VR will spice up K band, the G2 will be the perfect detector for those like me who are 99% about all out performance and 1% about filtering!
Ahh, I was interpreting this as very difficult to be able to beat I/O K band, resulting in very close encounters, or worse, a summons. Glad to know it suffices, just not as good as others.

Is a sensitivity increase in K band done via hardware or a firmware upgrade? Bare with me... LOL

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ahh, I was interpreting this as very difficult to be able to beat I/O K band, resulting in very close encounters, or worse, a summons. Glad to know it suffices, just not as good as others.

Is a sensitivity increase in K band done via hardware or a firmware upgrade? Bare with me... LOL
It can easily be fixed with a firmware update. The problem is the G2 is really quiet like it is on K band and if he opens it up more, far more people will complain if it falses more than will be happy if it speeds it up! You know where I stand! I say let it eat on A mode and keep it filtered to death on L mode!

Last edited:

solort

Learning to Fly
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
For $350 shipped from Cobra or Amazon, I would purchase the DP 360. Or the Radenso DS1 for $399. Both are pretty much plug in and go with very few false alerts, even though the DP360 range is a little less than RL360 (and 1/2 price). I would think most non radar enthusiasts want a detector that only points out police radar and not BSMs. And even arrows are probably not that important to them also. If the detector falses a lot, they will not trust it.

Title says good and simple RD...

Just my $0.02 worth

Last edited:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
For $350 shipped from Cobra or Amazon, I would purchase the DP 360. Or the Radenso DS1 for $399. Both are pretty much plug in and go with very few false alerts, even though the DP360 range is a little less than RL360 (and 1/2 price). I would think most non radar enthusiasts want a detector that only points out police radar and not BSMs. And even arrows are probably not that important to them also. If the detector falses a lot, they will not trust it.

Title says good and simple RD...

Just my $0.02 worth
For the extra $50 the DS1 has a better case for purchase.
If the DP360 was $300 as a few have been able to purchase, and that is your top budget, then it is worth considering if automatic functions are a priority.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm an arrow guy, but I'd say any of the detectors that have auto lockout without a phone would be ideal.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I agree with the others. Judging by the price point…. The least amount of interaction the better.
Least amount of information overload… even better.

I’d have to lean toward the DS1. The performance is a bonus… but having just 2 settings is perfect for someone like that.

Put it on auto setting. K notch is on. Auto lockouts. Pretty hard to beat for $399.

Next would be the Cobra DP360. Another detector I really really liked. Higher price though.

Next would be trying to find one in stock lol.

solort

Learning to Fly
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
I agree with the others. Judging by the price point…. The least amount of interaction the better.
Least amount of information overload… even better.

I’d have to lean toward the DS1. The performance is a bonus… but having just 2 settings is perfect for someone like that.

Put it on auto setting. K notch is on. Auto lockouts. Pretty hard to beat for $399.

Next would be the Cobra DP360. Another detector I really really liked. Higher price though.

Next would be trying to find one in stock lol.

$349 plus tax in stock with shipping

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NZdrivepro