labmixz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm not positive but based on the CAD files they provided it looks like they use a 10x20x5mm magnet.

I couldn't find that size in the US so to get them quicker I went with 3/4x1/2x1/8 inch N52. Those dimensions translate to 19x12.7x3.175mm. I did some tests and using one of those was a little weaker than the Radenso mount and using two of them together was stronger, I'm using two of them in the final version of my mount. https://www.ebay.com/itm/151891775798?var=452970698050
Post automatically merged:

Also keep in mind that the attractive force drops off quickly with distance, the thickness of the plastic in front of the magnet on the suction cup mount is only .6mm which is very thin but keeps the gap very small.
I've found that the size, isn't the issue (and you're correct, it's 10x20x5mm). Using the magnet from the suction cup the magnet force (with that magnet) is decently strong in my screen mount. Using a "non-stock" 10x20x5mm neodymium, doesn't have the same force. I've even tried a couple designs with stacking 10x20x2mm (x3) and one design with 10x20x2mm (x6) to make sure I had proper coverage. Even found a couple 10x20x6mm's that, again, fall short in comparison to the magnet that comes with the suction cup.

To be clear, I'm not changing the space between the mount and magnet (i.e. it remains a constant, if I need further space I build the design out the other way. Granted, not all magnets are created equally, I think I just need to find non-Amazon supplier 🤣

Also, for some reason, I always forget eBay exists...

Last edited:

labmixz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I also forgot companies like Mouser exists... it's been awhile since I've had to order components from them for repairs, but they due tend to have odd sizes on things like magnets.

b00573d

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The problem I have with a rearview mount, is the wiring. I am one of those OCD people where I hate the visual sight of wiring. I mean, I could get a cable long enough to run it down the side and out of sight. There just seems to be better options on the Tesla for cable management (without having to hard wire).

What I am working on is a minimal AC vent mount o_O. Which is interesting due to the areas that need to flex more than other areas. I'm thinking of looking at a harder blend TPU filament. Maybe a couple different pieces held together by what else, other than, magnets... 🧲🧙‍♂️.

Wondering @Jason at Radenso, do you or could you get any details on the magnet that comes on the suction cup? Tried a couple different variations, sometimes even larger, magnets (neodymium mostly with different coatings), but that magnet that comes with is still stronger then the ones I'm getting. I probably need to stop shopping on Amazon and find a good scientific shop.
I am in the same boat with hating the sight of a wire hanging down. I used a mirrortap on my 2016 Model X at the time which worked great. An a/c vent mount would be nice! It may conceal the radar detector a bit more rather than being kind of out in the open on top of the center screen!

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’ve used these guys with great results in the past.

Post automatically merged:

A couple of these stacked together would be the right size. Not sure how they’d compare.

Last edited:

rwsmith123

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I've found that the size, isn't the issue (and you're correct, it's 10x20x5mm). Using the magnet from the suction cup the magnet force (with that magnet) is decently strong in my screen mount. Using a "non-stock" 10x20x5mm neodymium, doesn't have the same force. I've even tried a couple designs with stacking 10x20x2mm (x3) and one design with 10x20x2mm (x6) to make sure I had proper coverage. Even found a couple 10x20x6mm's that, again, fall short in comparison to the magnet that comes with the suction cup.

To be clear, I'm not changing the space between the mount and magnet (i.e. it remains a constant, if I need further space I build the design out the other way. Granted, not all magnets are created equally, I think I just need to find non-Amazon supplier 🤣

Also, for some reason, I always forget eBay exists...

There's also the grade to consider N35 (weakest) to N52 (strongest). One reason I went with the particular seller I did off ebay is that they had listings for N35, N52 and others in between so I had a little more confidence that I would actually get what was advertised. I assumed that Radenso went with a quality N52 and using this calculator: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp the size I got should be about 68% of the OEM one and two of them together would be 135% of the OEM one. My test rig (custom clip attached to a fish scale) wasn't accurate enough to verify those numbers but using one was weaker and two was stronger :)

labmixz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
There's also the grade to consider N35 (weakest) to N52 (strongest). One reason I went with the particular seller I did off ebay is that they had listings for N35, N52 and others in between so I had a little more confidence that I would actually get what was advertised. I assumed that Radenso went with a quality N52 and using this calculator: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp the size I got should be about 68% of the OEM one and two of them together would be 135% of the OEM one. My test rig (custom clip attached to a fish scale) wasn't accurate enough to verify those numbers but using one was weaker and two was stronger :)
Yea, I'm starting to wonder the honesty behind the ratings on sites like Amazon (and eBay). Most of what I ordered thus far was N48 or N52, but I suspect that not to be a truthful rating.

I did find a site (totalelement.com) earlier that had some 19.05x9.35x6.25mm N52 which is pretty close. Added bonus was they had some extremely tiny N52 disc magnets I needed for another project which I've had a hard time finding as well.

mndza

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Is this Tesla mount finalized and working? I really want to get rid of the cellphone mount I'm using since it's spring loaded and sucks to remove and insert when parking.
Any other good Tesla mounts recommended? I bought one of those Amazon linked window mounts, but the Model Y has the cameras up in the middle area. This means you have to mount it to the left and then you can't move the visor forward anymore.

labmixz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Is this Tesla mount finalized and working? I really want to get rid of the cellphone mount I'm using since it's spring loaded and sucks to remove and insert when parking.
Any other good Tesla mounts recommended? I bought one of those Amazon linked window mounts, but the Model Y has the cameras up in the middle area. This means you have to mount it to the left and then you can't move the visor forward anymore.
The final versions are up on thingiverse, there's two different versions 2.9.2 (uses a bigger magnet) and 2.8 (uses the magnet from the suction cup).

I've been using 2.9.2 for awhile now and it works great, still waiting on a firmware update so I can flip the screen, but works great otherwise!

mndza

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The final versions are up on thingiverse, there's two different versions 2.9.2 (uses a bigger magnet) and 2.8 (uses the magnet from the suction cup).

I've been using 2.9.2 for awhile now and it works great, still waiting on a firmware update so I can flip the screen, but works great otherwise!
Thanks for all your work on this. I appreciate it.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDude