Sorry Ontario, 30 day license suspensions for doing 40 km/h over....

Mythic01

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 23

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
In fairness, although the penalty is harsh (I didn't read details), but 40 above limit is quite a lot!
I would imagine it is only relevant to all but absolute lunatics on highways with upper speed limits.

Signal Environment

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In fairness, although the penalty is harsh (I didn't read details), but 40 above limit is quite a lot!
I would imagine it is only relevant to all but absolute lunatics on highways with upper speed limits.
With some of the crazy low speed limits I've seen mentioned up there, not really. I've seen videos from up in Canada where the road looks (based on what I'm used to) like it should be a 90 or 100kph limit but the limit is actually 60kph. In those cases +40 would be "normal" or "a little brisk."

420smoke

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In fairness, although the penalty is harsh (I didn't read details), but 40 above the limit is quite a lot!
I would imagine it is only relevant to all but absolute lunatics on highways with upper-speed limits.
40km over are lunatics? Dang, I guess most of here on RDF are lunatics! Highway driving most people will go 15 to 20 over no problem. Have you ever been on the 401? The flow of traffic is above 40km at times, and the posted limit is 100km. Its people driving under the speed limit, that is dangerous! People that speed tend to be way more aware of what's happening and focused on drives vs people going slow or playing on their phones or putting make up on. Same different when playing on my toys. I've hurt myself more going slow due to my mind being laid back vs going fast! Just some food for thought. This is the fine line for left and right lanes :)

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Pre-covid I drove in Ontario quite a bit.. Does this apply to Out of country drivers as well? ohhh and she can arrest me anytime πŸ±β€πŸ‘€

Reactions: jcp

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
40km over are lunatics? Dang, I guess most of here on RDF are lunatics! Highway driving most people will go 15 to 20 over no problem. Have you ever been on the 401? The flow of traffic is above 40km at times, and the posted limit is 100km. Its people driving under the speed limit, that is dangerous! People that speed tend to be way more aware of what's happening and focused on drives vs people going slow or playing on their phones or putting make up on. Same different when playing on my toys. I've hurt myself more going slow due to my mind being laid back vs going fast! Just some food for thought. This is the fine line for left and right lanes :)
Yea, I get it. Here, I've often gone 20 over, 40 would be pushing it!
What I actually was thinking of were limits here of say 30km/h, 40km/h or 80km/h; these are town limits and b road limits.
I now assume the OP was exclusively related to Highways. Here A roads are 100km/h and Motorways are 120km/h.
Only night drivers here would realistically be tempted to go 40 above.
Here 10 above gives the same penalty points as 40 above.
By lunatics I was mistakenly referring to people going 40 over in a 30/40 or 80 limit.
Post automatically merged:

South Simcoe Police also known as the Hazzard County Sheriff.
But Canada? Edmonton? Ontario? These places seem to have many and varied speed traps, seemingly more than anywhere else, and the most draconian speed laws that I am aware of.
Is there a reason? Lots of road accidents in severe winters?

Last edited:

Mythic01

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Stunt driving in Ontario is either 40 km/h over on roads with a speed limit of 80 km/h or less or 50 km/h over on roads with a limit of 100 km/h+.

Sure, there are circumstances where going 40 km/h over or 50 km/h over is unreasonable, plenty of circumstances actually. But to lose your license for 30 days automatically is pretty extreme imo. That's going to make some people lose their jobs I would imagine.

Mythic01

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Well, shit.
So, it's not only 30 day license suspension, but also 14 day impound, $2000+ fine....
I'd say ALP is well worth the investment in Ontario...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    425 KB · Views: 17

Jantar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
That is 40 km/h, only 25 mph. That could easily be achieved in an overtaking situation

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light πŸ“Ά
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
LOL @ the female cop "aiming" down her radar gun. It's nothing but a publicity photo.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light πŸ“Ά
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is there a reason?
It's all about the K.P.C. metrics. They have one of the highest ratios in the world of Karens Per Capita.

Easy Target

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Not hard to exceed 120 on a highway marked 80-especially when trying to pass a semi truck that was driving 50 through the windy parts and speeds up to 100+ every time there is a dashed line. Ontario always feels like a police state to me.

quandary

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any studies on the correlation of speed and the number of accidents adjusted for improvements in cars. MTO used to do the study but I hadn't seen it in 20 years. Their only conclusion was that speed correlated with death, which would reduce the burden on tax payers.

Or a study on the 401 vs the increased speed limits in the States.

40 kph over. I don't recall ever voting for that law over 50 either. We are lemmings.
Post automatically merged:

I found the latest report from 2018.

The number of fatalities decreased as the number of drivers increased. (slide 12). So, car improvements (and arguably increased enforcement) has made things better since 2006. So this is a better picture than when I last looked at it.

The number of speed-related fatalities is 18%. So, why does this problem deserve such attention.

According to people I know that collected the data 20 years ago. The correlation between speed zone and accidents was done internally as a part of MTO's study. Same for the cost burden on tax payers.

Anyways...food for thought as you vote for your next politician.

Last edited:

samq45

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Pre-covid I drove in Ontario quite a bit.. Does this apply to Out of country drivers as well? ohhh and she can arrest me anytime πŸ±β€πŸ‘€
Yes, it applies to all vehicles on the road, and they have confiscated vehicles with NY plates.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDude