Radar Detector Recommendation for Intent

Intent

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
What kind of vehicle you have?
20 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Do you want a remote mount or windshield mount detector?
Windshield

What's your budget?
$800.00 CAD

Where do you live and where do you primarily drive?
Canada, Calgary

Do you require a detector that is RDD immune?
No

How do you drive?
Moderate

What is your daily drive like?
85% City
15% Rural

What is the terrain like where you normally drive?
Flat

Are there red light and/or speed cams in your area?
Yes

Do you need / prefer a GPS enabled unit?
Yes

Are you willing/do you want to use your phone to pair with the RD?
Yes

What kind of device do you own or would use for your detector?
iOS

Do you face MRCD and/or MRCT in your area?
Lots of RedFlex mobile speed cam.
Only KA I/O in the city.
Occasional K use (low-power Raptor 24.125Ghz) on rural roads.

How long you have been using countermeasures, if at all?
16+ years

Other:
Picked up a Radenso DS1 last week and I am enjoying it, but not having arrows is unfortunate. Pricing of the R7 ($757) in Canada is nearly identical to the DS1 ($699) and I am tempted to transition to get arrows. I am uncertain of the R7 vs DS1s ability to effectively detect RedFlex. If I knew the DS1 could outperform the R7 on RedFlex, I would be more compelled to keep it.

While the DS1 I find is quite sensitive, I find that I'm getting a lot of falses on K to BSMs.. I only require the detector to scan 24.070 - 24.110Ghz to cover RedFlex, but I'm limited to one of three K ranges which leads to unnecessary falses.

K Narrow: 24.080 thru 24.200GHz
K Wide: 24.050 thru 24.250GHz
NZ K Narrow: 24.000 thru 24.100GHz.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
As an overboard enthusiast, I own a DS1, R7, V1G2 and R360C and constantly testing them all out. I keep driving around with DS1 but haven't come across a Redflex yet as my travels around Calgary have been limited, but hope to encounter one soon to find out the capabilities of the DS1 with Redflex. It is great on KA 34.7 but with a single horn I never know what is behind me.

In terms of the V1G2 it is a great detector when paired with an android phone and JBV1 (app). What it is not good with in my experience is Redflex until you are well into the ticket zone.

R360C is similar in that it works great on a lot of things, but Redflex isn't one of them.

R7 is the best generally with Redflex and I have often had good advance notice while in traffic. It is also a good all around detector as @Smason has said. After you get through all your normal k alerts turning to auto lockouts, it is pretty quiet.

I wish I could tell you the performance of the DS1 on Redflex (hopefully soon), but of all options in your categories from above, the best fit seems to be the R7 and potentially the DS1 if works well with Redflex and need for arrows isn't there.

Intent

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
As an overboard enthusiast, I own a DS1, R7, V1G2 and R360C and constantly testing them all out. I keep driving around with DS1 but haven't come across a Redflex yet as my travels around Calgary have been limited, but hope to encounter one soon to find out the capabilities of the DS1 with Redflex. It is great on KA 34.7 but with a single horn I never know what is behind me.

In terms of the V1G2 it is a great detector when paired with an android phone and JBV1 (app). What it is not good with in my experience is Redflex until you are well into the ticket zone.

R360C is similar in that it works great on a lot of things, but Redflex isn't one of them.

R7 is the best generally with Redflex and I have often had good advance notice while in traffic. It is also a good all around detector as @Smason has said. After you get through all your normal k alerts turning to auto lockouts, it is pretty quiet.

I wish I could tell you the performance of the DS1 on Redflex (hopefully soon), but of all options in your categories from above, the best fit seems to be the R7 and potentially the DS1 if works well with Redflex and need for arrows isn't there.
I appreciate the feedback! For the tiny price difference, it seems like the R7 might be a better fit.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback! For the tiny price difference, it seems like the R7 might be a better fit.
Good choice in a Redflex area, like the NZ/AU types do.
You can also upgrade firmware by purchasing the International 138 version from @Mithheru if you decide you need more Redflex warning.
Also they tend to mount it vertically (on edge) with different mounts because it works a bit better that way too.
Read up Redflex, Dodgy Vans etc in the AU/NZ sections and see videos in action.

I've driven past some Redflex in Calgary and failed miserably with a Pro M.
I didn't know enough about the settings, and I had a R7 under the seat. 🤷‍♂️

Intent

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Good choice in a Redflex area, like the NZ/AU types do.
You can also upgrade firmware by purchasing the International 138 version from @Mithheru if you decide you need more Redflex warning.
Also they tend to mount it vertically (on edge) with different mounts because it works a bit better that way too.
Read up Redflex, Dodgy Vans etc in the AU/NZ sections and see videos in action.

I've driven past some Redflex in Calgary and failed miserably with a Pro M.
I didn't know enough about the settings, and I had a R7 under the seat. 🤷‍♂️
I ended up swapping out the DS1 for the R7 tonight.

Interesting observation, but drove past a Redflex van with the DS1 on my way to Visions. It failed to alert until I was well within the kill-zone, nearly 100’ past the van. Was running in Auto mode, so perhaps the lowered K sensitivity was to blame. - Either way, fingers crossed that the R7 does better.
Thanks again for helping.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I ended up swapping out the DS1 for the R7 tonight.

Interesting observation, but drove past a Redflex van with the DS1 on my way to Visions. It failed to alert until I was well within the kill-zone, nearly 100’ past the van. Was running in Auto mode, so perhaps the lowered K sensitivity was to blame. - Either way, fingers crossed that the R7 does better.
Thanks again for helping.
Keep international firmware 138 in mind, it's more sensitive on K Band, better BSM and K Blocks, plus you can adjust K Band sweep by .010 steps, so you're not stuck with only the 3 Narrow, Wide, Extended settings.
For example you could set it to scan 24.020 to 24.120, or 23.940 to 24.090, or 24.100 to 24.230, or any other combination.
Useful if just wanting to sweep Redflex ranges

Intent

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Keep international firmware 138 in mind, it's more sensitive on K Band, better BSM and K Blocks, plus you can adjust K Band sweep by .010 steps, so you're not stuck with only the 3 Narrow, Wide, Extended settings.
For example you could set it to scan 24.020 to 24.120, or 23.940 to 24.090, or 24.100 to 24.230, or any other combination.
Useful if just wanting to sweep Redflex ranges
I was looking into that. Being able to select the specific K range would be super useful and virtually eliminate all falses.

I shot a message over to Mithheru earlier today, so hope to hear back soon. Do you know off hand what he charges for the firmware?

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I was looking into that. Being able to select the specific K range would be super useful and virtually eliminate all falses.

I shot a message over to Mithheru earlier today, so hope to hear back soon. Do you know off hand what he charges for the firmware?
Not exactly.
I think it's in NZ dollars, was 60-70 USD at my time.
Best to ask him all this PM.
Post automatically merged:

These are the 138 settings.
Make sure the important stuff is there for you, as features are different from USA firmware.

Post in thread 'Uniden R7 International firmware update v138...' https://www.rdforum.org/threads/111591/post-1621615

Last edited:

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Obvious but also worth mentioning is Calgarians are pretty good at marking most Redflex vehicles on WA ze or using JBV1 for crowd sharing reports

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. So I've sent all the instructions and files for the 138 International update.

I think you'll like the R7 a great deal. I also have bought a DS1 for testing, but hopefully it will arrive in the next week or two. For redflex we really need max sensitivity. This I think is where the R7 will shine. Not many detectors enable you to practically run K band at full sensitivity all the time.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. So I've sent all the instructions and files for the 138 International update.

I think you'll like the R7 a great deal. I also have bought a DS1 for testing, but hopefully it will arrive in the next week or two. For redflex we really need max sensitivity. This I think is where the R7 will shine. Not many detectors enable you to practically run K band at full sensitivity all the time.
I've just been taking the DS1 for my first drive around the city.
Started on Auto mode, Low speed muting at 50 kph, K Filter On, TSR off.
Pretty Quiet with no lockouts yet done.
Probably my most quiet to date out of the box.
Maybe a DualPro 360 on Auto Mode would be similar.

I switched to Custom Mode (K at 100%) after a short drive, and continued.
Still pretty quiet but alerting to known door openers a bit earlier than Auto mode.
It's going to be very good on K after lockouts done.
Did a couple manual lockouts, waiting for Auto for the majority.
I think you'll be able to run Custom (Hwy) Mode on K Band like with International 138 R7 and be very quiet.
I will also run some low powered K tests soon.

I have a short review video thread coming up shortly.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjmackay