Uniden R7 140.147.119 update? Any info or word?

jws360

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
While helping someone with a new Uniden R7 here in the US I checked firmware and noticed one I've not seen here: 140.147.119. Any word or info on this and what it does differently? Did not see it on Uniden's site. Always possible I've missed something.

Attachments

• 2AA5AD8C-DD54-4707-AA2F-D520699AC243_1_201_a.jpeg
    2AA5AD8C-DD54-4707-AA2F-D520699AC243_1_201_a.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

420smoke

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
While helping someone with a new Uniden R7 here in the US I checked firmware and noticed one I've not seen here: 140.147.119. Any word or info on this and what it does differently? Did not see it on Uniden's site. Always possible I've missed something.
I was reading somewhere on here that it shipped with new ones but there isn't anything new.

Falcon01

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Is it bad if I accidentally just flashed my new R7 back to 1.37 from 1.40. I didn't realize it had the newer firmware and now I can't find a download for 140.147.119

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is it bad if I accidentally just flashed my new R7 back to 1.37 from 1.40. I didn't realize it had the newer firmware and now I can't find a download for 140.147.119
Did the update software let you do that?

Falcon01

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Did the update software let you do that?
It did. It let me flash it no problem. Seems to power on fine in the car, but I haven't tested it out yet on roads.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It did. It let me flash it no problem. Seems to power on fine in the car, but I haven't tested it out yet on roads.
Oh wow that's interesting. I guess the current software version doesn't check for hardware versions since that wasn't really a thing before now. I have no idea what is gonna happen now with 1.37 on your R7. I'd be a little surprised if everything works properly.

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Falcon01 I will reach out to Uniden directly to ask resolution. If the new FW was specifically designed to provide support for the new hardware implementation, I am with @Vortex that the old FW will error out with the new hardware if it does not support it.

Falcon01

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I believe that the detector works - but the GPS does not. I am reaching out to them asking for the new firmware.

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It seems that uniden r7 firmware can be customised and called whatever, but it will be no improvement functionally on the latest official US137 firmware. There may of course be "superficial" differences in gps and certain settings.
We are all still anticipating US138. That will be the next evolution!:fsmug:

Last edited:

Disco47

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I always assumed that it wouldn't let you downgrade because the hardware is different. 140 is supposed to be the same as 137 but tweaked for the change in hardware. Or am I missing something here?

Falcon01

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I always assumed that it wouldn't let you downgrade because the hardware is different. 140 is supposed to be the same as 137 but tweaked for the change in hardware. Or am I missing something here?
I guess not. Their program let me downgrade it and I think it broke the GPS. I reached out to customer service for the newer firmware, but they were no help. They said it's not released yet and that they can't help me. I argued with them asking how I could get a unit with it if it wasn't released or available. He mentioned the factory has access but they don't. His advice was to return the unit and buy another one or wait for the update. I am returning this unit and buying another one - but this will just lead to issues as I assume someone will eventually get my unit with the wrong firmware and not know why that it's wrong or why it's wrong.

Noddy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I guess not. Their program let me downgrade it and I think it broke the GPS. I reached out to customer service for the newer firmware, but they were no help. They said it's not released yet and that they can't help me. I argued with them asking how I could get a unit with it if it wasn't released or available. He mentioned the factory has access but they don't. His advice was to return the unit and buy another one or wait for the update. I am returning this unit and buying another one - but this will just lead to issues as I assume someone will eventually get my unit with the wrong firmware and not know why that it's wrong or why it's wrong.
No, that's the best they can do. You'll have a brand new perfect unit which you will love.
I dont think Uniden will pawn it off. They'll probably refurbish it and sell it at a reduced price.
Dont worry about it! :p

G39x

Huntin' Rabbits
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Buy another one??? Does this mean an even swap out? I can't figure why you would send it to them to buy another one.
It's late, so maybe I can't think straight.
Haha, hopefully BRD or Vortex will get a hold of the firmware.

I wonder how many issues this may cause in the future if this continues, since there will be 2 firmware for every update, one for the OG R7 and one for the new chip model.

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Haha, hopefully BRD or Vortex will get a hold of the firmware.

I wonder how many issues this may cause in the future if this continues, since there will be 2 firmware for every update, one for the OG R7 and one for the new chip model.
They can and probably will implement support for the hardware in both and have unified firmware. There might be a need for a new update tool though.

G39x

Huntin' Rabbits
Intermediate User
Reaction score
They can and probably will implement support for the hardware in both and have unified firmware. There might be a need for a new update tool though.
I know they can do that, but I believe that will make the firmware bigger (not sure how much, and if it even is a negligible amount), I don’t know if that would create issues with other things on the detector and break them because these detectors are pretty “dumb” and only do a few things well.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose