Newb question about autolockouts

mkmurray

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi all!

Have really appreciated the YouTube channel of @Vortex; I binge watched several hours of recommendations and setup guidance to make my purchase and do my initial install. What a goldmine of content!

I'm finding while I understand some of the RD terminology at a basic enough level, I'm unsure how to put some of the knowledge into practice. For instance, when I get an alert on my detector and then knowing what to do with it; most of the time I think I know if it's legit or not, but unsure if I'm supposed to perform an action on the detector/app or if the detector/app will learn on its own.

In my case, I have V1 Gen 2 and am using V1Driver on iOS. I understand some of the value of the features offered by V1Driver, including adding GPS capabilities for speed and auto lockouts, as well as additional control over auto muting etc. I guess what I don't fully understand is how to take advantage of auto lockouts or if they will happen on their own...well, automatically. :)

If I get an alert for a stationary speed sign, do I need to tell V1Driver to mute? Or will it begin to mute on its own when I drive by a few times? Any other advice for getting the best out of muting and lockouts given my setup?

Thank you in advance for any helpful guidance you can provide. Or if you have any learning materials in the form of articles/videos I should review. I'm sure this stuff comes with practice!

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
V1 Driver will begin to learn the location of the signal, and after so many times of you passing by it, it should automatically mute it.

The display on the app is mostly informational. While you can take action, you don’t need to.

Here you can see my GPS settings. I have the app set to auto learn X & K Band. In my case the X band setting doesn’t do much since I actually have X band turned off on the detector itself.

2DC8D227-4F91-4348-A441-CE024E257085.jpeg

Also note the information icon in the menus, the circle outline with the lowercase i. Clicking on that will show you an in-app help menu that explains what the different settings control, and what values do what.

LQQK

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
V1 Driver will begin to learn the location of the signal, and after so many times of you passing by it, it should automatically mute it.

The display on the app is mostly informational. While you can take action, you don’t need to.

Here you can see my GPS settings. I have the app set to auto learn X & K Band. In my case the X band setting doesn’t do much since I actually have X band turned off on the detector itself.

View attachment 188877

Also note the information icon in the menus, the circle outline with the lowercase i. Clicking on that will show you an in-app help menu that explains what the different settings control, and what values do what.
I'm also trying to figure things out, so I entered your settings. Do you have to open the V1Driver app every time you drive or does it do whatever magic automatically?

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you have to open the V1Driver app every time you drive or does it do whatever magic automatically?

Give the app full-time access to your location information from the phone OS, enable backgrounding, and ensure it has bluetooth permissions.

It will then wait for your phone to tell it that you’re moving from your location (as in leaving your home or building), and will then start up the BlueTooth connection to the detector. For me this usually happens within 1/2 mile at most.

B700AE4C-F2B0-42CF-8800-9E6297C5B3E4.jpeg

106CFF9F-D458-4751-8592-F0DBE4659908.jpeg

And don’t worry, the app will not use any battery when idle and backgrounded if you’re not moving. It won’t do anything CPU wise until it sees you’re moving locations. Walking around your house won’t cause it to eat up CPU.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
By default the app will only create “pins” on the map for signals it is interested in tracking to lock out. If you’d like V1 Driver to create historical map pins for places you have encountered Ka Band hits, you’ll need to specifically enable that. I enjoy it because it lets me look at Ka Band hits later on after I’m done driving. It’s also useful for tracking and using as a basis for exchanging information with other RDF members who drive in your area; an intelligence tool of sorts.

5C7D8098-2D5D-41AF-B954-71066C0AFD03.jpeg

One final reminder. Be sure to occasionally go into the iCloud settings and manually make a backup. This way you’ll have your settings and historical encounter database available should your phone go missing or be rendered inoperable, or if you switch to a new phone. If you are planning on changing phones, open V1Driver and make the backup on your old phone before you cut over to your new phone.

8ED7CF31-D1DA-488E-BF6F-3FA721CBF33C.jpeg

LQQK

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Give the app full-time access to your location information from the phone OS, enable backgrounding, and ensure it has bluetooth permissions.

It will then wait for your phone to tell it that you’re moving from your location (as in leaving your home or building), and will then start up the BlueTooth connection to the detector. For me this usually happens within 1/2 mile at most.

View attachment 188878

View attachment 188879

And don’t worry, the app will not use any battery when idle and backgrounded if you’re not moving. It won’t do anything CPU wise until it sees you’re moving locations. Walking around your house won’t cause it to eat up CPU.
All right I just did the recommended settings you suggested. I’ll be taking a drive later and will let you know if it works… I’m sure it does so thanks in advance
Post automatically merged:

Nice.
Great job @sdrawkcaB Very helpful.
Yes, Very Helpful. I just got home it worked just like ya said it would on my drive after the new settings. Thanks Again!

Last edited:

Craigster59

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
One final reminder. Be sure to occasionally go into the iCloud settings and manually make a backup. This way you’ll have your settings and historical encounter database available should your phone go missing or be rendered inoperable, or if you switch to a new phone. If you are planning on changing phones, open V1Driver and make the backup on your old phone before you cut over to your new phone.

View attachment 188881
Do you need to make any IPhone/ICloud specific settings to allow the app to back up to ICloud?

mswlogo

Software Developer
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
By default the app will only create “pins” on the map for signals it is interested in tracking to lock out. If you’d like V1 Driver to create historical map pins for places you have encountered Ka Band hits, you’ll need to specifically enable that. I enjoy it because it lets me look at Ka Band hits later on after I’m done driving. It’s also useful for tracking and using as a basis for exchanging information with other RDF members who drive in your area; an intelligence tool of sorts.

View attachment 188880

View attachment 188881
Awesome advice !! Check is in the mail ;)

raqball

beep, beep
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score

View attachment 188880
This is absolutely awesome information.. Just today I was wondering why the Ka hit I had was not showing on the map.. I had several K pins but nothing for the Ka..

Now I know, I enabled it in the settings, and am a happy camper..

Thanks for the info!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose