Summarizing Radenso DS1 long distance test results (so far)

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
I would like to see Radenso pick 10 production detector at random and test how well they detect signals in a lab set up. That would let everyone see the variability from detector to detector. I would think they have a lab setup for this. If they do not have the detectors, are there 10 people that would send there DS1 in for testing? I would love to see the video.

We could, but everyone would just say we picked the 10 most similarly matched ones to juice the results.

Walter

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
No me for sure. Jon you said

"Check torque on the horn screws, if possible. I am curious if there is a difference.

I am starting to believe that launch contact and grounding quality is the cause of a lot of sample to sample variation."

I bet this could problem in many cases of hot detectors. If you can get to the root cause of the problem, then a fix can follow. If it is never looked at, then nothing will ever get done. I think you guys at Radenso are in a unique position to find out, because you are the only one with the equipment and knowledge to use it in the US. Your description of contact and grounding quality was very good. I can see you done your homework.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
What is the DS1 torque spec?

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

WalterTheRadarWizard9999

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Literally the best way to truly see if you think the detector would be a good fit for you (range, false alerts, how it mounts in your car, etc etc etc) is to buy it and return it if you aren’t satisfied. This really applies to all detectors.

My view point now is range isn’t everything now. Just like horsepower isn’t everything now in new cars. They are all fast and have enough power, it is all about what you enjoy feature wise.
Exactly right Randy all the detectors should save you in practice... as long as the driver is not a complete idiot like some of my relatives...LOL 😆 🤣

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I wonder how much of the variability we're seeing is due to horn geometry and the resulting sensitivity pattern of each detector? Detector sensitivity is not just a single number, but changes depending on the angle to the source. There is a trade-off between on and off-axis sensitivity, akin to a telephoto vs wide angle lens.

@hiddencam did some great testing trying to quantify this behavior here: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/49207/

It would be really interesting to repeat this with the R1/RE, DS1, and R4 to see how different the horns are, and with the current top arrow detectors to see whether it can explain the results we've seen so far.
I'm very curious about this also.

Too3zln

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
75% to 25% is my guess - I was just last week - trooper sitting in the median. Got hit by front radar while I was in the left lane. (passing slower traffic at speed limit plus 2 mph) After going by the LEO - got hit by the rear horn. Thinking he thought I was now speeding after passing him. Later a trooper sitting on the 'on ramp' was radaring traffic in the rear. So twice in one day only 10 minutes apart. The rest of the trip where front shots by locals and sheriff units. Have to love holiday weekend drives. When I pass any on ramp. I turn to look / check the ramp. Had too many shots by troopers / locals sitting on them over the years.
The sheriff's and state petrol in my area have just recently developed a in which the will use the antenna in the opposite their direction of travel.
I was following a deputy for 3 miles recently, and he was blasting just his rear trying to catch someone coming up his rear. Same with the troopers, they will face the direction of travel and park, attempting to catch someone around a curve and hit them with instant on, or drive interstate and only use their rear horn. All of this while using instant on. They are very tricky.

I need to get my dash cam up to show this.

Nine_C1

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Nothing specific on those models, but during Theia development I have personally learned how insanely important even torque is for launch contact, grounding quality, and isolation. It's important to the point where I feel like a moron for ever opening up other detectors and testing with them afterwards. Proper torque spec is so important that if someone opened up a detector's RF engine and put it back together, that detector should never be used for testing again unless you have access to the manufacturer's torque spec and appropriate torque wrenches. I used to make this mistake all the time....live and learn, I guess.

It has to be 100% consistent.
Thanks @Jon at Radenso .

I feel a little vindication now from our prior discussion and my concern about "compression" points being compromised. Compression......torque......same same no?

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mystic330

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The sheriff's and state petrol in my area have just recently developed a in which the will use the antenna in the opposite their direction of travel.
I was following a deputy for 3 miles recently, and he was blasting just his rear trying to catch someone coming up his rear. Same with the troopers, they will face the direction of travel and park, attempting to catch someone around a curve and hit them with instant on, or drive interstate and only use their rear horn. All of this while using instant on. They are very tricky.

I need to get my dash cam up to show this.
The State Hiway patrol does this in Kansas also - It's like they are trained to do it that way. Rolling instant on Ka front and rear. With the range of CMs and the wide openest of KS, it can make for an irritating drive until he finds a customer or flips around.

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Nothing specific on those models, but during Theia development I have personally learned how insanely important even torque is for launch contact, grounding quality, and isolation. It's important to the point where I feel like a moron for ever opening up other detectors and testing with them afterwards. Proper torque spec is so important that if someone opened up a detector's RF engine and put it back together, that detector should never be used for testing again unless you have access to the manufacturer's torque spec and appropriate torque wrenches. I used to make this mistake all the time....live and learn, I guess.

It has to be 100% consistent.
That is something that should go in a sticky “Playing Doctor with your Detector.”
Many Thanks for the insight on that.

Min Diesel

Manufacturer
Beginner User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
The State Hiway patrol does this in Kansas also - It's like they are trained to do it that way. Rolling instant on Ka front and rear. With the range of CMs and the wide openest of KS, it can make for an irritating drive until he finds a customer or flips around.
No offense to you, just the state. But if I never drive in Kansas ever again, I'd be completely fine with that. 😒

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

VideosFromNH

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score

CobawLT2010

I am a still small voice of calm and reason.
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose