Wanted: TMG installer in Portland, OR area

raqball

beep, beep
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Kia K5 GT and am going to order a TGM 2 head system. I am incompetent and do not want to even attempt to install it myself. I am looking for someone competent who would be able to do the install. I'd obviously be of little help but could do easy things as needed..

I am willing to drive to your area and pay cash for the install... I am going to go with a 2 head system and here is a shot of where it was recommended for the heads. No clue where would be the best placement on the interior for the CPU unit would be.

I realize there are professional shops that would do the install but I am looking to save some cash AND watch and learn along the way.

I have no idea if the front bumper would need to come off and if it does, how hard of a process that would be.

Probably a long shot but it never hurts to ask..

Thanks!

51368378586_e2a748ce2e_c.jpg

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would start with audio shops with good recommendations if no one steps up, it is not rocket science. You want to hold them to straight and level, that is what they will struggle with if anything. Get a couple quotes and be ready to hold a level to the install and don't give until its where you want. I can add a pick of my tool if you like.

raqball

beep, beep
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I do understand they need to level with no toe in or toe out and as far forward as possible.. I might be able to handle that. My issue is with the bumper (I def screw that up if it needs to come off) and wiring it all up..

I learned long ago with my house that I am incompetent.. I'd try to do something myself, screw it up, and when I'd call a professional in they say something like, well that would have cost $300 if you had called 1st but now I need to also fix what you did so it's going to be $500... LOL

VariableWave

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Sportage SX AWD. took me less than 1hr to install 2 regular and 1 VPR... Only had to knife a small area to get the two wires through with a rod. Plus, my heads are higher than what you have. plus no plate at this time.... shhh

Too bad you are so many mile away.. help yeah with that install.

raqball

beep, beep
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Sportage SX AWD. took me less than 1hr to install 2 regular and 1 VPR... Only had to knife a small area to get the two wires through with a rod. Plus, my heads are higher than what you have. plus no plate at this time.... shhh

Too bad you are so many mile away.. help yeah with that install.
I assume a competent person could knock it out fairly fast if the bumper did not need to come off.. I am however incompetent when it comes many things and doing an install like this would be one of them...

I'd rather pay someone some cash, have it done right the 1st time as opposed to me jacking it all up, damaging the bumper (if it needs to come off) and costing myself more in the long run..

When I was talking to Musicar in Portland a while back about jammers they didn't appear to be interested in doing the TMG install and pretty much told me they'd only do ALP. On top of that they charge $150 an hour and he said the labor would be the same for any system installed in my car. . For the ALP they quoted me something like 10 hours of labor if I remember correctly.. The labor, if the ALP was purchased through them, went down to $110 an hour..

So even if they'd do the TMG, based on his statement to me that the labor would be the same regardless of system, I'd be looking at $1500 for them to install.. :yikes:

Last edited:

VariableWave

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I assume a competent person could knock it out fairly fast if the bumper did not need to come off.. I am however incompetent when it comes many things and doing an install like this would be one of them...

I'd rather pay someone some cash, have it done right the 1st time as opposed to me jacking it all up, damaging the bumper (if it needs to come off) and costing myself more in the long run..

When I was talking to Musicar in Portland a while back about jammers they didn't appear to be interested in doing the TMG install and pretty much told me they'd only do ALP. On top of that they charge $150 an hour and he said the labor would be the same for any system installed in my car. . For the ALP they quoted me something like 10 hours of labor if I remember correctly.. The labor, if the ALP was purchased through them, went down to $110 an hour..
You shouldn't need to take off the bumper. I didn't, and I also have Veloster Turbo, I did not either. I used coat hanger to fish the wires in the grill. I fished where the intercooler is on both the vehicles get through.

I can understand the concern, and if you had someone there nearby, that you can trust, you can see how easy it is. It is the firewall that can be a challenge. Both of my were at first, as you just have to be careful where you poke... she would tell ya that... haha.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm being honest when I say with our help, you are more than capable of DIY, with a few things from Autozone.

raqball

beep, beep
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to take off the bumper. I didn't, and I also have Veloster Turbo, I did not either. I used coat hanger to fish the wires in the grill. I fished where the intercooler is on both the vehicles get through.

I can understand the concern, and if you had someone there nearby, that you can trust, you can see how easy it is. It is the firewall that can be a challenge. Both of my were at first, as you just have to be careful where you poke... she would tell ya that... haha.
Thanks.. I am hopeful I can find someone here that could do it.. I don't think I'd trust a stereo shop, car toys or places like that who do so few..

If I can't find anyone then I might need to find a stereo shop to do it then just check the crud out of the head alignment before I picked it up and paid...

I'd honestly just like to find someone local who knows what they are doing and wants to make some cash..
Post automatically merged:

I'm being honest when I say with our help, you are more than capable of DIY, with a few things from Autozone.
My famous last words would be "Hey buba, check this out" followed by a loud kaboom and Kia K5 parts flying everywhere... :rofl:

Last edited:

VariableWave

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks.. I am hopeful I can find someone here that could do it.. I don't think I'd trust a stern shop, car toys or places like that who do so few..

If I can't find anyone then I might need to find a stereo shop to do it then just check the crud out of the head alignment before I picked it up and paid...

I'd honestly just like to find someone local who knows what they are doing and wants to make some cash..

My famous last words would be "Hey buba, check this out" followed by a loud kaboom and Kia K5 parts flying everywhere... :rofl:

Stereo shop would do in the wiring, maybe not the alignment. Should be some good Northerns/Eastern testers that could help with that side of things.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks.. I am hopeful I can find someone here that could do it.. I don't think I'd trust a stereo shop, car toys or places like that who do so few..

Yeah, don't go to Car Toys. However, getting past the firewall and fuse tapping is just like installing an amp! They do that all the time. I bet you could pay a small quality focused shop $100 to do that and get the wires to where the heads are. Then you do the patience game with Sugru(moldable glue) and you are done. Guess you would need to mount the CPU too. No big deal.

So even if they'd do the TMG, based on his statement to me that the labor would be the same regardless of system, I'd be looking at $1500 for them to install.. :yikes:
Musicar is a most wonderful shop with amazing skills. I got lucky with my car audio shop and paid $75 hr for a total of $400 front and rear. Absolutely not Musicar beautiful, but very functional.

Last edited:

raqball

beep, beep
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yeah, don't go to Car Toys. However, getting past the firewall and fuse tapping is just like installing an amp! They do that all the time. I bet you could pay a small quality focused shop $100 to do that and get the wires to where the heads are. Then you do the patience game with Sugru(moldable glue) and you are done. Guess you would need to mount the CPU too. No big deal.

Musicar is a most wonderful shop with amazing skills. I got lucky with my car audio shop and paid $75 hr for a total of $400 front and rear. Absolutely not Musicar beautiful, but very functional.
Yeah MusicarNW is fantastic.. Not sure I want to spend $1500 to get it installed though. Actually I am sure, and I don't... LOL

What shop did you use and where? I don't mind driving to get it installed..

raqball

beep, beep
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I may have found a competent installer in Portland. It's an actual shop but in speaking with him on the phone it sounds like he knows what he is doing and he is even running jammers on his vehicles.

$75 an hour = great price in my opinion as well..

I have an appointment to go in and have him look the car and gear over on Sunday (I hope I have the TMG in before then) and from there I'll either schedule an install date or look elsewhere...

In the meantime, I'll keep my request open just in case someone comes along..

raqball

beep, beep
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I think I am going to order the VPR head and add it to my install. Suggestions on where to slap it in this image. Might as well just add it now and not have to worry about adding it later..

51368378586_e2a748ce2e_c.jpg

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would go right above "Ontario" in the honey comb. It cuts real easy, trust me. I am kind of surprised it wasn't recommended to put the dual heads in the honey comb too. Straight line across the top.

I would post this up in Questions About Installations for better viewing results.

raqball

beep, beep
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would go right above "Ontario" in the honey comb. It cuts real easy, trust me. I am kind of surprised it wasn't recommended to put the dual heads in the honey comb too. Straight line across the top.

I would post this up in Questions About Installations for better viewing results.
The head placement image was when I was going to go with ALP and MusicarNW sent that image of where they were going to place them.. I'd rather not hack up the honeycomb area if I don't have to..

I am thinking the VPR head might fit in the dead center honeycomb slot..

I had a thread in that area for the ALP install I think but had forgotten about it.. I might just post this Q there in it of I don't get responses..

It's not a major thing as I am sure the installer is going to put wherever he recommends. I have a meeting with him on Sunday to look the car and gear over.

Last edited:

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hmm, I would go higher. Did you ask TMG? Those grills are not expensive and are easily replaceable.

@Jag42

raqball

beep, beep
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hmm, I would go higher. Did you ask TMG? Those grills are not expensive and are easily replaceable.

@Jag42
I sent him that photo before I ordered and he said 'same area'.. I have not asked him about placement for the VPR head though..

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose