Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Mine has a higher frequency buzz that unscrews the case of my V1G2 if I don't loctite it together. LOL.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Use of a phone on a motorcycle can seriously degrade your life expectancy too.

89q2hiu54warefs

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This has always been the case, just to varying degrees, with any phone and a motorcycle.

My TU250X killed 3 phones' cameras before I realized what the issue was.

I'm assuming Apple's giant-ass cameras have some absurd optical stabilization going on, hence why they're issuing a blanket statement and why this news is suddenly making the rounds. I remember a few years ago getting into an argument with someone with them claiming motorcycles couldn't possibly damage phone cameras. (To be fair this was true at one point before optical stabilization made its way onto phones).

I have an S21 Ultra now, another phone *extremely* prone to vibration damage, and have had zero problems since buying a QuadLock case, mount, and the vibration dampener.

RAM makes a dampener too, as well as a number of 3rd party add-ons that fit RAM mounts.

If you're using an expensive phone with your motorcycle, you *need* a vibration dampener unless you don't care about wrecking your camera. Otherwise, get either a burner android phone and hard mount it, or get a standalone GPS unit.
Post automatically merged:

Ive run 3 gens of iPhones with the ALP app and haven’t really noticed it. But then I don’t ride Harleys either
Not just harleys.

My first bike was a 250cc single cylinder, that was probably a worst case scenario kind of bike.

Quad Lock states *all* KTM motorcycles will damage phones, which I find funny. Older Harleys will definitely do it too, but more often than not it's not low vibrations that does it, it's very high vibrations.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, these new gyroscopes seem to be the vulnerable component, which makes sense

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I’d imagine mountain biking with my phone mounted will have the same effect.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Not even close
Engine vibration can numb my body parts, blur everything in view, and for long long duration multiple trips.
If something will shake apart it will be from a buzzing twin revving out.
I've been lucky so far.

89q2hiu54warefs

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Not nearly to the same degree, but it still wouldn't hurt to get a dampener mount as hard mounting a phone to anything that doesn't have a suspension system is probably not going to be good at minimum.

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
So GoPro cameras have image stabilization and they are rugged as hell. It should not be a technological barrier to making tougher phone cameras. Having said that my iPhone XS has survived fine on a Quad Lock shock damper mounted to my Super Tenere, even riding off-road.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I should look into a vibration dampening cell holder.
For detector and phone .

InDecay

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So GoPro cameras have image stabilization and they are rugged as hell. It should not be a technological barrier to making tougher phone cameras. Having said that my iPhone XS has survived fine on a Quad Lock shock damper mounted to my Super Tenere, even riding off-road.
HyperSmooth on GoPros is digital image stabilization done with frame cropping, not with physical moving parts that OIS uses. It's why my GoPro 9 is rated at 5K but the stabilized 4K footage uses that extra frame buffer to keep things steady.
I have an S21 Ultra now, another phone *extremely* prone to vibration damage, and have had zero problems since buying a QuadLock case, mount, and the vibration dampener.
I run a 12 Pro with the Quadlock vibration dampener and wireless charging head. Works great!

IMG_2195.jpeg

Quad Lock states *all* KTM motorcycles will damage phones, which I find funny. Older Harleys will definitely do it too, but more often than not it's not low vibrations that does it, it's very high vibrations.
All KTMs is overly broad. The new Duke 790/890 are twins and much smoother. However, I had a Duke 690 for a number of years. I absolutely believe that would've killed any phone if I had a handlebar mount on that. Stock and aftermarket mirrors were worthless at any speed over 25mph.

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
HyperSmooth on GoPros is digital image stabilization done with frame cropping, not with physical moving parts that OIS uses. It's why my GoPro 9 is rated at 5K but the stabilized 4K footage uses that extra frame buffer to keep things steady.
There you go, why couldn't phones use this technology then? Is there something superior about the mechanical system used in phones?

CPB

Left Lane for Passing Only
Advanced User
Reaction score
My Nexus 6 hated being mounted inside a racecar. Video was basically unusable and killed the mechanical IS system. Telemetry data still worked. I stopped mounting phones to car after that, just use a gopro mounted to the rollcage.

InDecay

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There you go, why couldn't phones use this technology then? Is there something superior about the mechanical system used in phones?
Yes, OIS is superior in the fact that it allows nearly complete usage of the sensor w/o needing to crop it.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose