Stolen Detector Found on Trademe...

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Lance2

I think this is your R3. It matches your Serial Number as shown in the photo on the listing:

Post automatically merged:

I have now reported the listing to Trademe. I also note the listing says on the US firmware. That is consistent with you indicating it was stolen soon after you imported and before I had chance to update it for you.

This is the first one where keeping a confidential record of serial numbers should help confirm a stolen detector and link it back to its rightful owner. After my redline was stolen, this is another reason I wanted to implement active Anti-theft personalisation. Uniden probably less inclined to do this as it gives them extra work to do, and they end up selling more detectors.

Last edited:

VariableWave

Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Lance2

I think this is your R3. It matches your Serial Number as shown in the photo on the listing:

Post automatically merged:

I have now reported the listing to Trademe. I also note the listing says on the US firmware. That is consistent with you indicating it was stolen soon after you imported and before I had chance to update it for you.

This is the first one where keeping a confidential record of serial numbers should help confirm a stolen detector and link it back to its rightful owner. After my redline was stolen, this is another reason I wanted to implement active Anti-theft personalisation. Uniden probably less inclined to do this as it gives them extra work to do, and they end up selling more detectors.

If that is said grabbed unit from another... that is nice found and reported.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Did you get the seller's contact information before reporting it to be taken down? I think it'd be useful to act as an interested buyer and get that information first before the listing gets taken down. Lance2 may possibly be able to make use of it.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I grabbed a pdf copy of the full listing. The seller is registered as being in trade. Therefore, I suspect it was probably sold to them as a part exchange for something else. However, at the end of the day, it is what it is.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I was also suspicious of another R7 that just sold second hand on trademe. However, that has now been resolved as it was also one of my International ones.

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Managed to get in contact with Lance2 as I left him a voicemail this morning. We've both now seen the listing, and confirmed it is his detector. He's also still got the original box and other evidence. Let's see how this goes. Hopefully we can get this recovered.

Millwright99

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ya id contact police first so that they can get his address / contact info before website just takes ad down and he deletes his account and runs. Pretty crazy you found it!!?? Did you just find it random? And maybe your right about him not knowing its stolen if he showed the SN in photo... ad says sold now...

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm hoping Lance2 closed the sale, as I think that was his plan. I've still had no response from Trademe, even though I sent them the photo evidence. Police may not do anything, but the insurance company are also probably interested as I suspect quite a lot of stolen property evidently does get resold on TradeMe.

Seller has lots of other listings, so I suspect he won't shut up shop. Trademe would also have their full contact details and address on their private records. I would expect Trademe must step in. If they're going to be party to this and cast a blind eye, then that potentially requires some kind of legal intervention, and/or a complaint to one of the independent watchdogs.

user

PSL +5
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Nice find, thank you for your effort.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Don't know how much of this Lance2 would like me to share. However, I think it is fair to say the Police have been informed, it looks like the seller is also cooperating and likely he will get his R3 returned.

Millwright99

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Don't know how much of this Lance2 would like me to share. However, I think it is fair to say the Police have been informed, it looks like the seller is also cooperating and likely he will get his R3 returned.
Not all heroes wear capes..... to fly 😉

porkchop

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Mithheru, just want to say thanks for doing this and keeping us informed and also the fantastic security feature with your firmware. Every time my R7 turns on there is my name! Pretty hard to sell it unless the person who stole knows about updating firmware.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Mithheru, just want to say thanks for doing this and keeping us informed and also the fantastic security feature with your firmware. Every time my R7 turns on there is my name! Pretty hard to sell it unless the person who stole knows about updating firmware.
In the case of this R3 it was more of a lucky find. I was just seeing what was available, I always get a bit suspicious when I see a detector being offered for sale without case and box. This R3 was still on the US firmware and GPS DB as he'd only had it about a week or so and still testing on its stock firmware. Thereby wasn't antitheft protected. Obviously if the seller had decided to come looking for a GPS/firmware update, it would have come to me sooner.

If you do ever try to upload new firmware onto an international r7 in the normal way, the upload tools will reject it, but no harm should come of the R7 itself. The Uniden upload tools for Mac and Windows will all give a USB error if you ever do try to update directly.

It is therefore in peoples interest who do have an Anti-theft protect detector not to make it known even to other forum members how it can be unlocked.

Lance2

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yes, a big thank you to Mithheru for alerting me about my stolen R3. It was stolen back in March... car passenger window smashed($500 repair job) and took the R3. I didn't think I will ever get it back and didn't think that the police will care, so I didn't report it. I bought an R7 from Mithheru and I must say it was worth it. I took a trip to Wellington from Auckland and it saved me about 20 times in one trip from all types of cameras, fixed and mobile.
I bought the R3 from trademe so I can get the details for the seller. I emailed him and let him know that the R3 is mine and he's been cooperating... provided a genuine receipt of purchase from CASH CONVERTERS, Henderson. The seller is in the clear, so cash converters Henderson will have to locate the person that sold them my R3. I'm still waiting for the Police to go and get my R3 but the good news is that the seller has agreed to hold the R3 until the Police get there. I've also written to trademe to give a reference to the seller so that he continues to sell his products on their website.
I must say I'm lucky. I have a small business selling on trademe with a 99.9% positive feedback and have sold 4224 items. The feedback system puts a lot of pressure on the seller to ensure that they play by the rules and this was to my advantage I believe but without Mithheru this my R3 would be sold to someone else and no one will be accountable for my stolen R3.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'd never have thought about Cash converters. Perhaps that is something we can learn from. It might make sense if anyone has a detector stolen, to get down to their local store, check it out, and/or to notify the owners about the theft and to ask them to report it either back to you, or else back to me.

So the Anti-theft startup on the R7 and R3 are directed to me at:

IDmyRD[at]gmail.com

This email can be used for anyone to report an RD lost, stolen, suspicious etc. especially one of the Uniden ones. Even if not registered with me, I'll still make a note. I cross reference all serial numbers when they are registered and/or come to my attention.

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes, a big thank you to Mithheru for alerting me about my stolen R3. It was stolen back in March... car passenger window smashed($500 repair job) and took the R3. I didn't think I will ever get it back and didn't think that the police will care, so I didn't report it. I bought an R7 from Mithheru and I must say it was worth it. I took a trip to Wellington from Auckland and it saved me about 20 times in one trip from all types of cameras, fixed and mobile.
I bought the R3 from trademe so I can get the details for the seller. I emailed him and let him know that the R3 is mine and he's been cooperating... provided a genuine receipt of purchase from CASH CONVERTERS, Henderson. The seller is in the clear, so cash converters Henderson will have to locate the person that sold them my R3. I'm still waiting for the Police to go and get my R3 but the good news is that the seller has agreed to hold the R3 until the Police get there. I've also written to trademe to give a reference to the seller so that he continues to sell his products on their website.
I must say I'm lucky. I have a small business selling on trademe with a 99.9% positive feedback and have sold 4224 items. The feedback system puts a lot of pressure on the seller to ensure that they play by the rules and this was to my advantage I believe but without Mithheru this my R3 would be sold to someone else and no one will be accountable for my stolen R3.

I've noticed a lot of detectors sold by cash converters do not have any accompanying accessories at all, and I've thought it was really sketchy. At the time I did a bit of googling about Cash converters selling stolen items, and there was a big stink a few years ago, but they apparently cleaned their act up, but maybe not so much. I honestly don't see why anyone legitimately in possession of a RD would sell it without a charger or mount etc., so I think Cash Converters need to really clean up their act there.

I'm really glad you managed to finally track your R3 down, and I'm once again super impressed with @Mithheru 's diligence ! :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agoose