Police using 77GHz

EAswe

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi all,
I´m from Sweden and I want to apologize in advance for my poor English.

To the point, I need a radar detector because all new Volvo police cars are now fitted with radar to catch speeders.
It´s a 76/77GHz radar, and my question is if you have any suggestions which rd to go for?

Link to the radar:

Thanks!

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wow that's the first time I've seen this... Current RD's won't be able to pick this up. Looks like it's going to be used for mobile speed enforcement so GPS won't be a solution either. I guess we'll need someone to work on 77 GHz capable RD's.

EAswe

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Wow that's the first time I've seen this... Current RD's won't be able to pick this up. Looks like it's going to be used for mobile speed enforcement so GPS won't be a solution either. I guess we'll need someone to work on 77 GHz capable RD's.
Well, that was not what I hoped for.
Thank you for your immediate response!

TonyPHX

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So that is two things to come out of Sweeden I am not a fan of. IKEA and 77GHz Radar.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Edit: Nevermind, you are correct. The PDF file is from the component manufacturer, but the company using it for speed enforcement products is Palmenco. It does appear that Palmenco is producing speed enforcement products with this sensor that was originally designed for use in vehicles as a collision avoidance sensor.

EAswe

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So that is two things to come out of Sweeden I am not a fan of. IKEA and 77GHz Radar.
I would be a very happy man if that were the only problems our politican here in Sweden was responsible for.
Last week: Rapist from Afghanistan gets $105.000 after 3 years inside.
Reason? He lied about his age. He was younger then he stated during trial.
Only in Sweden.

Tech10002

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Wow. Never seen W band used for anything like this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. If this comes to the US, Mike Valentine is not gonna fix this one with just a firmware update. Lol

EAswe

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Edit: Nevermind, you are correct. The PDF file is from the component manufacturer, but the company using it for speed enforcement products is Palmenco. It does appear that Palmenco is producing speed enforcement products with this sensor that was originally designed for use in vehicles as a collision avoidance sensor.
Yes, I think that is the case here. Apparently all the speeds measured can be seen on the tv screen linked to their dash cam and the system will mark which speed each car is doing. Sounds complicated but what do I know.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wait, what frequency was it that BSM's were supposed to be switching to in the next few years again?

Aez

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Woah, hope Finnish police doesnt get any ideas from Sweden 😬

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Has the FCC designated a use for that band that would prohibit speed enforcement in the US?

RoadDogg

Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@EAswe , Welcome to the RDF!! We are glad to have you here.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

BaileyAB

Whats PSL? Autobahn bro, A.U.T.O.B.A.H.N.!!!!!
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I read traffic enforcement equipement will still be on 24GHz.
1631236729100.png

jdong

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Son of a.........
Yeah.... if this starts catching on, it won't be good. Heck, most modern police cars are based off passenger cars with an adaptive cruise control package that can easily use a camera + 77GHz radar to pinpoint speeds of every car in front of you, and extremely accurately for the car right in front. It makes moving radar look as advanced as a 1980's cell phone.

Luckily the regulatory environment seems very slow moving for approving new speed enforcement methods and new radar bands.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjmackay