Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Man you guys raise a realllly good point about the R7 being priced so close to the R4. A little longer range and BT vs. arrows and a bigger display.

solort

Learning to Fly
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Depends on your threats.
I here a beep, I awaken from my trance, lift my foot off the accelerator, put it over the brake, look out the windows and check the mirror...After that I look at the detector.
Give me an extra 200 yds on redflex, preferably with a unique beep tone, without arrows if necessary.
Variety is the spice of life!
That is probably similar to most radar detector users. Pavlov's Dog response. Respond immediately and assess threat next. If your detector is chatty with false alarms, it can be a long drive. When falses are virtually eliminated, then this will become most people's driving style because they know a real signal is present.

Last edited:

djkeczap

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I wonder if it can handle radars in Europe !?
Post automatically merged:

So for the past few weeks I've had a new Uniden R4 on hand for beta testing. It's the successor to the Uniden R3 and it'll be available starting in October sometime. Next week I'll start working on a full video going over the detector, but for now I got the all clear to go ahead and start releasing some preliminary test results.

Under the hood Uniden has added an LNA which looks to have boosted its performance nicely. Here it is next to the R3:

View attachment 188274

It shares a similar platform to the DS1, but the DS1 uses an upgraded horn while the R4 relies on LNA's. There's also a bunch of other differences in terms of design and features and I plan on sharing a lot more info going over the R4, how it compares to the R3 and DS1, etc. over the next few weeks.

Full disclosure and disclaimer: This is with a manufacturer supplied unit. ;) Same with most of the other detectors. I believe it's a pilot production unit. I'll need to doublecheck to see if this firmware is what'll be released at launch. This is also testing with just one copy of the detector. I've asked to get some more units sent over to my fellow Uniden beta testers so they can run it through the gauntlet before launch too and hopefully that can happen. In the meantime, here's what I've been seeing:

Test #1: 34.7 testing around the bend

You remember the around the bend 34.7 test I did with ~20 detectors? Well I also ran the R4 in that test too. Here's the updated test results adding in the R4.

View attachment 188273 View attachment 188261

In this test it did outstanding, managing to slightly edge out the DS1 with the overall average detection range.

Here's one of the R4's test passes so you can see it in action:

and here's a side-by-side showing the R3 vs. R4:

Test #2: Red Barn Testing on 33.8, 34.7, & 35.5

Next up, I also ran the R4 in my latest red barn testing.

First, here's 33.8:

View attachment 188262

View attachment 188263
On 33.8, it was right up there with the DS1. They were the only two detectors in this group that managed long distance alerts on every single run.

Next, here's 34.7:

View attachment 188265

View attachment 188266
On 34.7, again the R4 did excellent with consistent long range detections just like the DS1 and V1 Gen2.

Finally, here's 35.5:

View attachment 188267
View attachment 188268
This was probably the R4's most impressive result. Most every detector was terrain limited around 35.5.

The DS1 had that one long 35.5 outlier detection, but every other detection was in that same terrain limited result.

The R4 managed that crazy long detection on every single pass.

View attachment 188275

Whatever Attowave has been cooking up in the lab lately, they're turning in extremely impressive numbers here.

Here's the overall averages on all 3 Ka frequencies:

View attachment 188269
View attachment 188271
Yeah....

Disclaimer repeated: I feel like I need to say this again given recent discussions. These tests are only with one copy of a detector. It's a manufacturer supplied unit for beta testing purposes. We need to wait for more testing with more copies of the detector to see how consistent and repeatable results like these are, particularly with retail units, but so far things are looking extremely promising.

Now I know you guys probably have a TON of questions. I've been busy with other projects so I won't be able to start with R4 content until next week sometime, but I wanted to go ahead and share my initial test results with you here.
are you able to show what the menu looks like? The description is there but no details

Last edited:

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you could squeeze in a stealth test for the R4 :)

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
When I finish with MaxCam stuff, I’ll share tons more on the R4. :) For now you have a good preview of what to expect.

PaSt

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
All this awesome range talk, I remember when (as I stare at my paper weight, with the original display & radar lens wraps still on) the OG Redline was doing over 4000 feet on 34.7

I cant wait till radars do that again, the tech is obviously there for range, but I know nothing about how radar tech works and filtration, so Im guessing OG redline tech is very different in comparison to new hardware for filtering out garbage signals.

Slowly but surely, we're reaching OG Redline footage detections again.

Seriously can't wait for Theia to come out and hopefully get our 4000+ feet range again.

Rags

Tumbleweed
Advanced User
Reaction score
All this awesome range talk, I remember when (as I stare at my paper weight, with the original display & radar lens wraps still on) the OG Redline was doing over 4000 feet on 34.7

I cant wait till radars do that again, the tech is obviously there for range, but I know nothing about how radar tech works and filtration, so Im guessing OG redline tech is very different in comparison to new hardware for filtering out garbage signals.

Seriously can't wait for Theia to come out and hopefully get our 4000+ feet range again.
All of these top performing detectors destroy the original Redline on range. I am not sure where you got the idea they don't.

PaSt

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
All of these top performing detectors destroy the original Redline on range. I am not sure where you got the idea they don't.
Yup you are correct, after revisiting what I remember

Full Article here:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Rags is right, distances are completely irrelevant, you must test each site on the same day, without disturbing the radar gun.
Take all these new detectors and the OG Redline, and test together on the same day, and there you have it.
The new stuff is next level.

PaSt

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Rags is right, distances are completely irrelevant, you must test each site on the same day, without disturbing the radar gun.
Take all these new detectors and the OG Redline, and test together on the same day, and there you have it.
The new stuff is next level.
LoL, dont pay too much into details, I just know they work, and so much quieter than my OG Redline with K band on

I have the Redline 360c in our Forester and the R7 in our Accord, waiting for Theia to shove in our other car.
I set em and forget em.

Thanks all for making me "not" regret my purchases even further. lol
=D

stamp4

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Agree. My Redline O was no slouch, but without a doubt my R1 eats it up. Mine leaves me wondering every day if I just got really hot R1 or what. It's crazy both on and off axis. Even in my semi with a cop coming up from behind, the reflections it picks up is astonishing...

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

What? I've had a 5 km detection and not on a dead straight and flat road either. That's 5000 metres, or over 15,000 feet.
You wish has been granted in detectors you can buy right now.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjmackay